Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

definition of running your own network.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

definition of running your own network.

bijan588bijan588 Member
edited June 2012 in General

what is the definition of a host running their own network?

Comments

• They have a computer plugged into another computer, and they manage both computers.

• I am the supreme overlord network administrator of... the home network.
    Fear me, I will disconnect you.

On a serious note, I'd expect them do have their own ASN and networking equipment if they were claiming to run their 'own network'.

• So by that definition I run my own network too. Neato

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@ElliotJ said: Fear me, I will disconnect you.

Careful or I will use my scissors and cut the string between your tin cans

• @miTgiB said: Careful or I will use my scissors and cut the string between your tin cans

Touché, our backup connection is via smoke signals.

Thanked by 1Kairus
  • NickWNickW Member

Have their own router(s) and agreements with two or more bandwidth providers. Not necessarily their own ASN.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@NickW said: Have their own router(s) and agreements with two or more bandwidth providers. Not necessarily their own ASN.

I would use this definition as well... I wouldn't connect something centrally managed and bureaucratic like an ASN application to a definition - hell, if you run your own network outside the 'ICANN-net', it would be impossible to define it as 'running your own network' because you have no ASN as such!

• I would say, having an ASN would be a good start with having your own network considering you can do BGP :)

• Connections to 2 or more ISPs.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@ElliotJ said: I am the supreme overlord network administrator of... the home network.

Fear me, I will disconnect you.

That is pretty much the exact attitude I take with my children.

If you do something stupid on our home network, you will find yourself in a lonely, firewalled, QoS'd place...

• JacobJacob Member

Harsh much...? > . >

@raindog308 said: If you do something stupid on our home network, you will find yourself in a lonely, firewalled, QoS'd place...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

LOL. Actually, since they're my kids I'm nicer about it in real life...but I don't think the 16-year-old will fire up a bit-torrent client again any time soon.

(Not that I have anything against BT, but it's easy for one computer with BT to suck up all Internet bandwidth).

• @raindog308 if you found out your kid had a secret vps hosting company what would you do?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@bijan588 said: your kid had a secret vps hosting company

Running in his attic/basement :P

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bijan588 said: @raindog308 if you found out your kid had a secret vps hosting company what would you do?

Flush his goldfish down the toilet, proclaim it's an introduction to the 'deadpool' and he's to make sure his company doesn't do the same.

Duh? :3

Francisco