Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Openstack providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Openstack providers

Are there any openstack providers on LEB? I know prometeus has an cloudstack brand, but i'm specificly looking for Openstack since I need to test some Ansible stuff.

Comments

• Why not use iwStack then?

• RaymiiRaymii Member

Because iwstack is cloudstack and not openstack.

• lunanode is openstack IIRC

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@serverian said:
    lunanode is openstack IIRC

Are they any good?

• I have been using a storage server with Lunanode on their Openstack (Dynamic) platform for about 14 days and its been pretty stable:

10:26:52 up 14 days, 13:28, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

I like their interface, however it can be a little bit confusing to start with.

My only real complaint (and likely mostly related to the storage servers only) is that sometimes after being idle for a while it will be stuck in io wait for a short period before it seems to get correct priority, causing a delay/slow down in transfers after the server has been idle for a while. Though, I wouldn't think this issue is relevant for their regular servers (as you can choose local storage instead of SAN storage). Also, if your using it purely to store back-ups and the initial speed isn't important, really I guess it isn't a big deal (just trying to provide some constructive criticism).

Cheers!

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

Hi,

we are trying to improve on our current dashboard, it should be more intuitive than what we had a couple of days ago. Do you mind logging in and let me know what you think?

There is going to be a lot more changes to the dashboard as we continue to improve the design and placement of functionalities.

Thanks.

@TheLinuxBug said:
    I have been using a storage server with Lunanode on their Openstack (Dynamic) platform for about 14 days and its been pretty stable:

10:26:52 up 14 days, 13:28, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

I like their interface, however it can be a little bit confusing to start with.

My only real complaint (and likely mostly related to the storage servers only) is that sometimes after being idle for a while it will be stuck in io wait for a short period before it seems to get correct priority, causing a delay/slow down in transfers after the server has been idle for a while. Though, I wouldn't think this issue is relevant for their regular servers (as you can choose local storage instead of SAN storage). Also, if your using it purely to store back-ups and the initial speed isn't important, really I guess it isn't a big deal (just trying to provide some constructive criticism).

Cheers!

• @hbjlee17 Ahh yes, it had been a few days since I logged in. Does look a bit nicer. Also, to note, I really appreciate the fact that the panel now shows bandwidth usage as well. That was one of my minor pet peeves before, but looks like that has now been fixed :) I also like the panel on the left hand side, adds a more streamlined effect.

Starting to look good :) Thanks for pointing out the updates!

Cheers!

You are welcome, your opinions are much appreciated as neither myself or perennate are designers, so feedbacks from clients will assist us greatly on tinkering with the design.

As for the bandwidth tracking, we had to get rid of openstack's resource tracking functionality and implement our own as the original resource tracking functionality provided by openstack was painfully slow and tracked all bandwidth including ones sent vm <-> vm via their private network. Our new implementation only records traffic going in/out of the floating IP.

@TheLinuxBug said:
    hbjlee17 Ahh yes, it had been a few days since I logged in. Does look a bit nicer. Also, to note, I really appreciate the fact that the panel now shows bandwidth usage as well. That was one of my minor pet peeves before, but looks like that has now been fixed :) I also like the panel on the left hand side, adds a more streamlined effect.

Starting to look good :) Thanks for pointing out the updates!

Cheers!

• RaymiiRaymii Member

hbjlee17 said: As for the bandwidth tracking, we had to get rid of openstack's resource tracking functionality and implement our own as the original resource tracking functionality provided by openstack was painfully slow and tracked all bandwidth including ones sent vm <-> vm via their private network. Our new implementation only records traffic going in/out of the floating IP.

I hear ceilometer issues. You're not the only one.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@hbjlee17 Can a user create a port in a network/subnet with a fixed IP (for load balancing/keepalived) or should they contact you so you can do that?

are you referring to loadbalancer as a service ? openstack has that featurer, although we have not yet implemented in our custom panel yet. This of course can be done via a support ticket and we can manually create the load balancer.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

hbjlee17 No I mean just create a private network, create a subnet in there and create a port in the subnet with a fixed IP. Then associate a floating ip to that port so that other instances in that network can use that IP with software like keepalived. (the neutron port-create with fixed ip and neutron floatingip-associate to that port are priviledged actions in openstack)

as of now clients can create their own private network, their own subnet, but no functionality has been added to allow the creation of port with a fixed ip. so it will have to be done through support ticket.

Our goal is to continue to implement features that are available in openstack to our custom panel. so this will probably be done in the near future.