Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archlinux as XEN-HVM guest, no interfaces?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Archlinux as XEN-HVM guest, no interfaces?

GiulioGiulio Member

I've just bought a VPS which is powered by XEN-HVM. I have to install my own OS from ISO via VNC and this makes me very happy.
The problem is that, while the Debian installer gets connected without any problem, archlinux doesn't even detect the interface, just loopback.

I've google a bit, tried changing card (Intel-realtek ecc.) but i can't find a solution.

Any suggest?

(please, don't tell me arch is rolling and not for a server: it's not production, i like arch, i have time to keep it updated so i'm going to choose it anyway)

Comments

• arch is rolling and not for a server. dont use it for production.

• I'm running Arch on KVM with VirtIO as network model/card. I don't know if that's available with Xen HVM, but if it is, give it a try.

• GiulioGiulio Member

As a network emulation i can choose between netfront and ioemu while as card model i can choose between Realtek 8189, Intel E1000, Novell NE2000.

• maoyipengmaoyipeng Member
    edited June 2014

ip link show

what can you get?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

change netfront to ioemu.

• GiulioGiulio Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    change netfront to ioemu.

Already tried :/

ioemu and e1000 should be fine, are you rebooting from solusvm after changing?

• GiulioGiulio Member

@AnthonySmith said:

Yes I always reboot between "hw" changes. Anyway if you say so i'll try again that way (maybe i missed something).

if it is not working I will test it on my hvm servers and see, I assumethat you are not using inception hosting hvm as I cany find a ticket.

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

@lelewku said:
    arch is rolling and not for a server. dont use it for production.

Your loss if you can't properly manage what to update and what not to update. My servers on Arch are doing very well.

• GiulioGiulio Member

@AnthonySmith said:

You were right, now is working. Priobably i missed that combination or missed to reboot. Thanks