Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

YUM kernel Update (centos)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

YUM kernel Update (centos)

ahmiqahmiq Member

Hi there.
I run centos on my ovh ks1 with the following kernel :

[root@server ~]# uname -mrs Linux 3.10.23-xxxx-std-ipv6-64 x86_64

when i did yum update today it shows the following:

now isnt 2.6 older then 3.10xx?

should i proceed with the yum update?

sorry i have not used dedi before. i used to be a openvz vps user..

Comments

• petrispetris Member

If I had to guess, the ovh kernel takes precedence since the version number is higher. However, I have no idea since I never use OVH's kernel; I always reinstall with the "stock" kernel.

• edited June 2014

It looks like OVH is running a custom kernel on their CentOS templates for dedicated servers.

Open /etc/yum.conf and find a line starting with "exclude=". Add kernel* after the = so it looks like "exclude=kernel*". Save the file and run yum update again and tell us the output.

[main]
    cachedir=/var/cache/yum
    keepcache=0
    debuglevel=2
    logfile=/var/log/yum.log
    distroverpkg=redhat-release
    tolerant=1
    exactarch=1
    obsoletes=1
    gpgcheck=1
    plugins=1
    exclude=kernel*

• ahmiqahmiq Member

@NekoShiinachan said:
    It looks like OVH is running a custom kernel on their CentOS templates for dedicated servers.

Open /etc/yum.conf and find a line starting with "exclude=". Add kernel* after the = so it looks like "exclude=kernel*". Save the file and run yum update again and tell us the output.

I have done that , now only one update is coming:

Updating: libxml2 x86_64 2.7.6-14.el6_5.2 updates 800 k

• Great so now you can update your packages. The kernel package will be excluded so you don't have to deal with the old crappy 2.6.32 kernel anymore.

• So is there a repo for the OVH kernel? Just wondering how the custom OVH kernel gets updated...

• @sleddog said:
    So is there a repo for the OVH kernel? Just wondering how the custom OVH kernel gets updated...

It gets automagically updated at OVH's side, when you reboot your dedi it will load the newest kernel image from OVH