Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Easily backup your VPS data to Copy.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Easily backup your VPS data to Copy.com

ironhideironhide Member
edited June 2014 in Tutorials

Many of us dont know that we can quickly backup valuable data from our VPS to our copy.com using an headless installation. This is so easy that you will simply love it

a. create a new copy.com account (you may use my referral code https://copy.com?r=Tbcrni and both of us will get an extra 5GB (Total 15GB+5GB) for free - remember to complete all the steps shown here )

b. Download the headless version of copy app

wget https://copy.com/install/linux/Copy.tgz --no-check-certificate

c. create a directory where you will keep your backups, say /root/backup

d. Now untar the previously downloaded copy app tarball and run it like this (for 64 bit OS)

tar -zxvf Copy.tgz
cd copy  
cd x86_64
nohup ./CopyConsole -u=your_copy_email -r=/root/backup -p=yourpassword &

you may also use nice to make it a low priority task

nohup nice -n 5 ./CopyConsole -u=your_copy_email -r=/root/backup -p=yourpassword &

e. Now the interesting part, simply go to /root/backup and create symlinks of your important folders, like /usr/share/nginx/html

cd /root/backup
ln -s /usr/share/nginx/html nginx-html

And copy app will immediately start backing up in the background :)

It's easy to get 20GB backup space and use it to backup our data in VPS :)

Hope it helps.

Thanked by 2Acacy squibs

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

I make an encrypted tar and then upload to http://demo.ovh.eu using a browser, no file size limits and keeps files for a month on a long hard to guess link.

Thanked by 2Neoon deadbeef
  • HorusHorus Member

what about 32 bit OS)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Horus said:
    what about 32 bit OS)

There is a 32-bit directory, change into thag instead of the 64-bit and the rest is the same.

I made a similar guide here.
    http://www.lowendguide.com/3/backup/using-copy-com-as-backupsync-destination/

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • Thanks for the tutorial.

But I prefer Hubic just because it gives you 25 GB instantly without any nonsense of referrals.

I wrote a tutorial on how sync between your dropbox and hubic: http://blog.droidzone.in/2014/03/22/synchronizing-dropbox-files-with-hubic/

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

said: create a new copy.com account (you may use my referral code https://copy.com?r=Tbcrni and both of us will get 5GB for free - remember to complete all the steps shown here )

Or you can just sign up at copy.com and they'll give you 15GB without having to use your affiliate link...

• joelgm said: But I prefer Hubic just because it gives you 25 GB instantly without any nonsense of referrals.

With a 10mbit speed limit D: It won't take years to restore 25GB @ 1MB/s but it won't be fun either.

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • AThomasHowe said: With a 10mbit speed limit D: It won't take years to restore 25GB @ 1MB/s but it won't be fun either.

Well, I don't actually use it to backup my VPS, but for syncing documents and pictures between the laptop, phone and server. For server backups I prefer Backupsy.

What's the speed you can attain on Copy?

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited June 2014

joelgm said: What's the speed you can attain on Copy?

It's a low priority process, will not clog all the bandwidth it can use. But it's performance is
    decent.

• raindog308 said: Or you can just sign up at copy.com and they'll give you 15GB without having to use your affiliate link...

yes exactly.

• joelgm said: What's the speed you can attain on Copy?

I think it's unmetered... it's not the most elegant solution though. I am/was using it to backup a few instances of BitTorrent Sync but it doesn't feel as snappy and well integrated as something like Dropbox.

• raindog308 said: Or you can just sign up at copy.com and they'll give you 15GB without having to use your affiliate link...

Heh. That's the first time I've seen an affiliate link give less resources than a direct signup.

• @joelgm said:
    Heh. That's the first time I've seen an affiliate link give less resources than a direct signup.

it's the 15gb plus 5gb for the affiliate link sign up.. it not only 5gb.

• joelgm said: Heh. That's the first time I've seen an affiliate link give less resources than a direct signup.

Not sure where did you get that. Direct signup gives 15GB, affiliate signup gives 20GB to the signee and an extra 5GB to the referrer

• copy.com is unfortunately relatively slow;
    its been talked about on the official copy.com forums, and other places, yet to this day there is no 'fix'

• darkshire said: copy.com is unfortunately relatively slow; its been talked about on the official copy.com forums, and other places, yet to this day there is no 'fix'

It's probably better than 1MB/s, though ;P @joelgm said he uses it for photos and docs tho so I suppose 1MB/s is no issue. Depends what you need most I guess.

• AThomasHowe said: than 1MB/s, though ;P @joelgm said he uses it for photos and docs tho so I suppose 1MB/s is no issue.

When you live in a country where the broadband speed is still a maximum of 2MBps, it's no issue. :)

• joelgm said: When you live in a country where the broadband speed is still a maximum of 2MBps, it's no issue. :)

Up until this year I did too... Wales is like the UK's ghetto ;P

• Is there any option I can copy only a file, for example I want to copy the file backedup by cPanel to copy.com

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

you can link a file too

• NomadNomad Member
    edited February 2015

If you point your cPanel backup to your Copy folder, that's doable.
    And Kudos for necro.