Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server to compile Android ROMS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server to compile Android ROMS

AndroidNoob69AndroidNoob69 Member
edited June 2014 in Requests

Hi there everyone,

I need a dedicated server to compile Android Roms. Basically the requirements are 4GB RAM and 50mbps connection. My budget is around USD 40. The process is CPU intensive so I would prefer a Middle end CPU. Can you guys help me? Thanks In Advance!

EDIT: I need 500GB of storage

Comments

• @AndroidNoob69 said:
    Hi there everyone,

I need a dedicated server to compile Android Roms. Basically the requirements are 4GB RAM and 50mbps connection. My budget is around USD 40. The process is CPU intensive so I would prefer a Middle end CPU. Can you guys help me? Thanks In Advance!

We could offer you dedicated cores [pinned, you can use 100% 24/7 and they're dedicated to your VM.] [ a VDS ] for about half your budget, depending on the amount of other resources required [ Disk, IPs, etc. ] Feel free to come on our LiveChat to discuss this if you're interested.

• BradBrad Member
    edited June 2014

Check out AbusiveCores. Each additional core is $5 per month.

You can also go with a Kimsufi.

Thanked by 1AndroidNoob69
  • MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited June 2014

The last version of android I compiled was Gingerbread. It requires a dedicated server due to the abuse it will cause not only to CPU but also I/O. Gingerbread, last I compiled, took 8-12 hours on a quad core system with 8GB RAM. I stopped playing with it after GB because the size grew exponentially.

I would suggest checking out http://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers.xml

Maybe a little above budget but these would work amazing for building android.

• AndroidNoob69AndroidNoob69 Member
    edited June 2014

@Brad said:
    Check out AbusiveCores. Each additional core is $5 per month.

You can also go with a Kimsufi.

Kimsufi is good just that the VAT is too expensive so the first month is kind of a rip

• BradBrad Member

@AndroidNoob69 said:
    Kimsufi is good just that the VAT is too expensive so the first month is kind of a rip

Isn't VAT recurring (I could be totally wrong)? I think you mean the setup fee, right?

edited June 2014

@Brad said:Isn't VAT recurring (I could be totally wrong)? I think you mean the setup fee, right?

I mean both actually.
    EDIT: Also, I just checked AbusiveCores. The storage is too little for ROM compiling I forgot to mention. I need 500GB storage. Added to 1st post.

• BradBrad Member
    edited June 2014

@AndroidNoob69 said:
    I mean both actually.

A KS-3 (€14.99) came down to ~$42 at checkout for me. Good luck finding what you need!

• nstormnstorm Member
    edited June 2014

http://www.soyoustart.com/ie/essential-servers.xml ? OVH middle-range services.
    Still have to pay setup fee, but they also offer 10 eur per first 6 months option.

edited June 2014

Any critics on www.wholesaleinternet.net's Dual Xeon 5150?

EDIT: After checking it's benchmark, I think its not good.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

AndroidNoob69 said: I guess an Intel Atom is not very good for ROM compiling :/

I want to show this comment to Intel, maybe they realize why exactly it wasn't their brightest idea to call their new 8-core 2.4 GHz processor still an "Intel Atom".

Thanked by 2Mark_R netomx
  • rm_ said: I want to show this comment to Intel, maybe they realize why exactly it wasn't their brightest idea to call their new 8-core 2.4 GHz processor still an "Intel Atom".

I thought the point of the Atom line was for power consumption. Not raw processing power. The C2750 performs very well give the price, performance, and power consumption ratios.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2014

What do you use for compiling your ROMs? Is it multithreaded? I.e. would it greatly benefit from multiple cores, or single core performance is the most important?

• nstormnstorm Member

@rds100 erm... nowdays projects consists of multiple source files, which could be compiled simultaneously. I.e. SMP, so even if it's not "multithreaded process", it still benefits from many cores/cpus.

As for Android, it's usually compiled with GCC, so it could be paralleled with 'make -jX'.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

To sum it up, i think will do the job pretty well.

• I'm not going to pretend to know what the requirements for compiling Android are, but DataShack's Phenom II X6 for $35 may be up your alley.

https://www.datashack.net/dedicated/

Their network is generally fast on their good days and it has 4GB RAM.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • sc754sc754 Member

@AndroidNoob69 said:
    Hi there everyone,

EDIT: I need 500GB of storage

Seems like the $25 Phenom server from datashack would do you. It has 20TB bandwidth which is roughly 50mbit. A 500gb hdd and a decent cpu.

edited June 2014

@rm_ said:
    I want to show this comment to Intel, maybe they realize why exactly it wasn't their brightest idea to call their new 8-core 2.4 GHz processor still an "Intel Atom".

Ok i need more feedback on it's real performance.

@rds100 said:
    What do you use for compiling your ROMs? Is it multithreaded? I.e. would it greatly benefit from multiple cores, or single core performance is the most important?

It would benefit greatly from having multiple cores and a decent cpu.

@ihatetonyy said:
    I'm not going to pretend to know what the requirements for compiling Android are, but DataShack's Phenom II X6 for $35 may be up your alley.

https://www.datashack.net/dedicated/

Their network is generally fast on their good days and it has 4GB RAM.

Thanks will check it and update

@sc754 said:
    Seems like the $25 Phenom server from datashack would do you. It has 20TB bandwidth which is roughly 50mbit. A 500gb hdd and a decent cpu.

I appreciate the reccomendation

• @GoodHosting said:
    We could offer you dedicated cores [pinned, you can use 100% 24/7 and they're dedicated to your VM.] [ a VDS ] for about half your budget, depending on the amount of other resources required [ Disk, IPs, etc. ] Feel free to come on our LiveChat to discuss this if you're interested.

dedicated cores of what cpu?

@OP, why not add $4/month as compared to the Phenom X6 and get a L5420 that has 8 cores? and more RAM too @markturner
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/26861/unbeatable-prices-5-atom-20-4core-x5150-39-8core-l5420#latest

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2014

wcypierre said: why not add $4/month as compared to the Phenom X6 and get a L5420 that has 8 cores?

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T CPU benchmark score: 5695
    single Intel Xeon L5420 CPU benchmark score: 3636

I'd say the AMD is better for compiling stuff.

edit: i'm not sure which exactly 6 core Phenom is offered by datashack. Couldn't find it on their website, maybe it's some promo?

• @rds100 said:
    edit: i'm not sure which exactly 6 core Phenom is offered by datashack. Couldn't find it on their website, maybe it's some promo?

what you're looking is the single proc benchmark, while what is being offered is the dual cpu version.

Dual L5420:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+L5420+@+2.50GHz&id=1259&cpuCount=2

vs

Phenom 1090T:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X6+1090T

• rds100rds100 Member

@wcypierre yes, 2x L5420 beat a single Phenom X6

• @rds100 said:
    wcypierre yes, 2x L5420 beat a single Phenom X6

yeap. and so to say that I haven't had any downtime for the past 3 months, I would say that delimiter is doing a pretty good job themselves.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said:
    wcypierre yes, 2x L5420 beat a single Phenom X6

Not to mention more threads.

• @Maounique said:

yeah, but it is not like the newer cpu where one cpu with 4 cores will have 8 threads(1 core 2 thread), but really genuinely 8 cores instead.

• Hm ok there are offers monthly right? I saw the june one already. I guess now its between DelimiterVPS monthly offers and DataShack's Phenom II X6. Remember the compiling process is CPU INTENSIVE and the faster and better the CPU, the faster it gets compiled.

• @AndroidNoob69 said:
    Hm ok there are offers monthly right? I saw the june one already. I guess now its between DelimiterVPS monthly offers and DataShack's Phenom II X6. Remember the compiling process is CPU INTENSIVE and the faster and better the CPU, the faster it gets compiled.

but the monthly offer is more expensive though. quarterly is cheaper. $49 vs $39