Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Credit card fraud or not?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Credit card fraud or not?

SunnSunn Member
edited June 2014 in Help

Hello LET members,

I am here to ask of what you think about this occurrence or situation.

1.) A person, i met 15 days ago on skype, ask's me today to buy a "Samsung Galaxy S5" for him, since in USA it is cheaper. (We have never really spoke much, but he talk's about purchasing my VPS, but never does.)

2.) So the guy sends me 5xx.99 USD Via Mastercard, without any questions asked.

3.) All fraud checks were completed, and turns out to be valid.

Now, i am worried about a chargeback after he receives the merchandise. What are you thoughts about this, since he is buying from me indirectly.

Warm Regards, - Ryyan H.

Comments

• Hello @Sunn,

Ship the item using signed delivery, or the equivalent insured service appropriately available from whatever company you mail things with. Make sure you also get tracking, in this way; even if he does try to chargeback, you will have more than enough evidence to keep your money.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Send him the phone locked with a PIN and tell him that you will send him the code when the period in which he can chargeback expires.

• SunnSunn Member
    edited June 2014

@albertdb said:

PIN locks are not really effective, one can easily unlock it.

• @albertdb said:
    Send him the phone locked with a PIN and tell him that you will send him the code when the period in which he can chargeback expires.

A PIN on a phone isn't going to do anything, not even to the most brain-dead person, it's only one Google away from "How to reset PIN on "

• namhuynamhuy Member

too much hassle for both buyer/seller. If you worry why would you accept to help him in the first place.

• SunnSunn Member

@namhuy - did not think about it then, but now i already purchased the phone online to send to him. No going back now.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Don't be an idiot. Why would you do this? If it's a VPS customer you've had for two years that you know, that might be different. I still wouldn't, but...

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited June 2014

buy from foreign country = no warranty from his country. plus shipping fee and tax blah blah blah should be almost the price he buy from his country.

how did he transfer money to you? wire/bank transfer? or he "paid" you via your vps service?

• SunnSunn Member

@namhuy said:

Via 2checkout.

• namhuynamhuy Member

seems not legit to me.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited June 2014

Seriously . . . you're not sure if this is legit . . . I have a bridge for sale.

• It sounds like fraud, because your sending someone something on behalf of yourself.

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited June 2014

I really hate double posts...

Thanked by 1Makenai
  • edited June 2014

Most likely CC fraud. "if it smells like fish, it probably is".

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @eddynetweb said:
    It sounds like fraud, because your sending someone something on behalf of yourself.

It's called a gift, or dropshipping.

However, it sure is fishy for someone asking you to do a "service" you never offered. Does the buyer shipping details matches the card billing details? Do you have a receipt detailing that the payment is for a smartphone sale?

Thanked by 1eddynetweb
  • Sunn said: Via 2checkout.

2co will not fight this for you if he does chargeback.

I say refund him, and tell him to go away.

• support123support123 Member
    edited June 2014

Seems fishy, probably hacked card ? Just refund the money
    it will cause trouble later on after he receives the product.it happened to me with xxxx usd level transaction before

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Should be fine, don't worry, I mean common... you have talked to him on Skype, he wont let you down!

• Ask for ID scan, CC scan, and a photo of him holding today's paper.

• vedranvedran Veteran

He asked you to order a phone for him online? Why didn't he just order it himself online?

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited June 2014

@Sunn, you are a loveable muppet with good intentions, but you are still essentially a muppet.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Sunn you're going to get a chargeback, I can almost guarantee it. Loads of services do this legit.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If the card is stolen, there is no proof in the world that will make the bank accept the purchase and let you keep the money. Ask 2co to check the card for frauds and wait a few days. It might be cheaper in US, but it is not worth the hassle unless it is free.

• SunnSunn Member

Thank you guys, i am trying my best to be secure about this.

• @albertdb said:
    Send him the phone locked with a PIN and tell him that you will send him the code when the period in which he can chargeback expires.

Depending on the card that is also up to 180 days.

• @Sunn said:
    Thank you guys, i am trying my best to be secure about this.

You're past the point of being secure and at the point of not continuing. Once you ship the phone, you're done and your money is gone for good.

I still can't believe this an actual conversation.

• Sunn said: Thank you guys, i am trying my best to be secure about this.

Are you going to ship the product?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Just refund, and sell the phone to someone else and accept you made a mistake, you twonk. ;p

• FlorisFloris Member

Put the S5 on ebay or something, brand new, in box, with 2 years warranty, You've been stupid, learn from it and take your losses. You can also send it to me if you want to, PM me for shipping details (must be shipped to NL).

Thanked by 1NewforVPS