Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many IDLE VPSes do you have?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Note: IDLE VPSes should be counted only.

Those doing repeat menial tasks of no significance are considered idle.

1. How many IDLE VPSes do you have?100 votes
    1. 1
      14.00%
    2. 2
      20.00%
    3. 3-5
      34.00%
    4. 6-10
        8.00%
    5. 11-20
        7.00%
    6. 21-30
        1.00%
    7. 31-40
        2.00%
    8. 41-50
        1.00%
    9. 51+
      13.00%

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited June 2014

Two at the moment, one will be cancelled soon.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

some people actually use the resources they pay for. where is the 0 option? O;

• DavidxDavidx Member

@Mark_R said:
    some people actually use the resources they pay for. where is the 0 option? O;

It's an IDLE poll not used.

• J1021J1021 Member

Mark_R said: some people actually use the resources they pay for. where is the 0 option? O;

If you're at 0 you do not belong here.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@1e10 said:
    If you're at 0 you do not belong here.

</3

• LeeLee Veteran

That will be me then, everything I have is in use.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

Haha. I can't believe that there are actually people wasting money on something that they dont use. ridiculous.

• LeeLee Veteran

Not a surprise really, I suspect that's how many providers manage to load up nodes so high, people really do not use them for much if anything at all.

Just like people collect all manner of things there are a big section of people here that just buy up VPS for the sake of it.

Hobby? Why not I suppose.

Thanked by 2mpkossen jvnadr
  • 0 idle vpses here as well.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

If you would use it for hobby purposes why not get 1 big dedicated server / VDS that fulfils all your needs. atleast it wouldn't be a waste.

• J1021J1021 Member

I have two idle because one has rubbish performance (123Systems) and is an annual box and the other used to be used and has since been transferred to another server, it will be cancelled at the end of the monthly billing term.

• @W1V_Lee said:
    Not a surprise really, I suspect that's how many providers manage to load up nodes so high, people really do not use them for much if anything at all.

Just like people collect all manner of things there are a big section of people here that just buy up VPS for the sake of it.

Hobby? Why not I suppose.

To run dd test on it, then post on LET, then add it to a "my servers" list which shows the status of each server lol

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

@hostnoob said:
    To run dd test on it, then post on LET, then add it to a "my servers" list which shows the status of each server lol

yea totally worth it. /sarcasm

• @hostnoob said:

Exactly what i do lol

• LeeLee Veteran

Mark_R said: If you would use it for hobby purposes why not get 1 big dedicated server / VDS that fulfils all your needs. atleast it wouldn't be a waste.

True, but I suspect 1 dedicated is really only classed as one and for what? $40-$50 per month you could have a serious number of cheap VPS all over the globe.

Maybe it makes people feel good :P

• AmitzAmitz Member

Surprise! Who would have thought that? ;)

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@W1V_Lee said:

I dont see it but alright.

• @Amitz said:
    Surprise! Who would have thought that? ;)

lol

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Running sshd isnt idle.

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited June 2014

I have 3 vps's in total, but 0 would be truly idle. waste not want not.

• There's no 0 option because that's not the point of this thread :).

• 2 LES boxes idling because of the new firewall policy which allows only common ports at my university :/

• @wcypierre said:
    2 LES boxes idling because of the new firewall policy which allows only common ports at my university :/

You can put SSH on 80 if you really need to; or just tunnel through it.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

You don't have "0" option.

• @wcypierre said:
    2 LES boxes idling because of the new firewall policy which allows only common ports at my university :/

Tunnel through it as @GoodHosting said, or just manage it from the serial console if your school considers port 22 common.

• @wcypierre ,

You should try some ports like the MSTSC/Remote Desktop port; it's hilarious how many institutions leave this port open simply because the SysAdmins feel the need to access their resources without first opening a temporary hold [ laziness. ]

• @GoodHosting said:
    wcypierre ,

You should try some ports like the MSTSC/Remote Desktop port; it's hilarious how many institutions leave this port open simply because the SysAdmins feel the need to access their resources without first opening a temporary hold [ laziness. ]

Lowendspirit uses shared port, so I can only directly access a limited number of ports. There's no problem on ipv6 but ipv6 is not enabled on student's Wi-Fi. I'm using cloudflare atm but it can get flaky at times

• @wcypierre I'm pretty sure he meant tunnel out on one of those ports. So setup another VPS to listen on one of those ports, connect to that, and then you no longer have issues connecting to anything on your school's wifi.

• @mikeyur said:
    wcypierre I'm pretty sure he meant tunnel out on one of those ports. So setup another VPS to listen on one of those ports, connect to that, and then you no longer have issues connecting to anything on your school's wifi.

Then I may as well as use the other vps instead with without the shared port. Like what I've said, apparently I'm using cloudflare, and the connection can be flaky at times, so I'm not using it for anything atm.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Don't sign up for annual or even semi-annual payment deals, and you won't have any idle VPSes or wasted money. I have about two idle (depends on what you consider idling; I could cancel both and not lose anything), and both exactly because they are pre-paid for a long period, halfway into which other circumstances and my needs have changed.