Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest extension for 5+ years?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest extension for 5+ years?

Hi

Looking for a cheap domain name for a personal project.

.ru @ ahnames is really cheap but you have to renew it every year.

Is there any extension that would be really cheap if I want to pay for 5 to 10 years upfront?

There are some nice deals for first year but I didn't find anything really interesting that covers renewals... any tips?

Thanks

Comments

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

Any particular reason for wanting to pay upfront?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

crazydomains had 10Euros for .info 10 Years maybe still active.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • ben78ben78 Member
    edited June 2014

rmlhhd said: Any particular reason for wanting to pay upfront

More easy to deal with. Once it's paid, it's paid.

@Infinity589 : will check that out, thanks!

edit: €6.26/5y - €12.53/10y - not bad!

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Don't know why you want this, but .com.es is about 1,50 EUR on many registrars if you want the cheapest.

.de and .eu are cheap too, for example.

• I always find .in to be cheaper everywhere.

• .info @ crazydomains has a sale right now, comes to slightly above 20 USD for 10 years.

Else .ro I believe is 30 Euros for life...

• @zhuanyi Thanks for sharing, but where can I register .ro for 30 euros life time?

• GunterGunter Member

They're apparently changing .ro and ending life registrations.

• Don't they ask for romanian passport ?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

rmlhhd said: Any particular reason for wanting to pay upfront?

I feel .ru needs to be renewed yearly solely because they want to reserve the possibility to jack up prices from the next year at some point.

.info at crazydomains seems to be the best deal you're going to get for a TLD.

• wasn't there a guy who made a website before he commited suicide and the pre-programmed blog kept updating itself with new posts after his death?

• wychwych Member

@kerouac said:
    wasn't there a guy who made a website before he commited suicide and the pre-programmed blog kept updating itself with new posts after his death?

Probably a few like that to be honest.

• DannyAlex said: @zhuanyi Thanks for sharing, but where can I register .ro for 30 euros life time?

http://rotld.ro/engleza/index_en.html

• hotsnowhotsnow Veteran

The registration is 51,26$+VAT(24%), one-time payment. There is no yearly fee at present.
    When yearly fee will be introduced, you will be informed.

edited June 2014

hotsnow said: When yearly fee will be introduced, you will be informed.

In a couple of years, and it'll be $20/year. Just one possibility. Do not trust this "lifetime registration" gimmick, or "one time payment" for any ongoing service in general.

• wychwych Member

.us or .pw may be cheap.

• this whole ro thing is weird, i looked in to it a while back and if im not mistaken 3rd party registrars still charge hefty renewals yearly

• ben78ben78 Member

rm_ said: In a couple of years, and it'll be $20/year. Just one possibility. Do not trust this "lifetime registration" gimmick, or "one time payment" for any ongoing service in general.

Would be interested to know if those who did register before the change will have to pay a yearly fee or not.. from what I understand 'you'll be informed' means 'you'll be charged'... (?)

edited June 2014

ben78 said: 'you'll be informed' means 'you'll be charged'

Absolutely.

One example, Russia had free domains in the com.ru/net.ru/org.ru/pp.ru zones, which were regarded as being "reliable" and expected to be free for life due to being officially managed by the .ru registry; but then at some point they decided to transfer all of those to one of the private registrars to be their personal playground, and from then on those zones weren't free anymore; and of course that included starting charging all of the old domain owners if they wanted to keep their domains.

• ben78ben78 Member

yep...

seems like .info @ crazydomains is the best deal there is right now.

Thanks!