Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 6 & Postfix autostart
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 6 & Postfix autostart

IcooIcoo Member
edited May 2012 in Help

BUYVM user here running the Debian 6 Minimal template. For some unknown reason I can't get Postfix running at boot. I always have to start it manually (sudo service postfix start)...I can se the postfix script in /etc/init.d...so why doesn't it work? Also upon every reboot my motd gets overwritten by an ASCII Pony (love BUYVM, but this is getting annoying)...

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

insserv postfix
    reboot

does it work now?

• IcooIcoo Member

Tried that...still nothing...

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

update-rc.d postfix enable

does this works?

• rds100rds100 Member

then:
    apt-get remove --purge postfix
    apt-get install postfix

helps?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Icoo said: Also upon every reboot my motd gets overwritten by an ASCII Pony (love BUYVM, but this is getting annoying)...

The pony isn't overwritten by us so that just means you're likely using the MOTD files wrong.

Debian has like /etc/motd.tail and /etc/motd (which is usually linked somewhere in /var/run). Check both of them :)

As for the postfix thing, i'll get on our dev box and i'll see what comes up :)

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member

@netomx it says all files already exists
    @rds100 tried allready...nope
    @Fran thx for the motd fix, hope u figure the postfix part out...I am running the .32 kernel BTW (as all OPENVZ boxes are probably now...)

@Icoo said: @Fran thx for the motd fix, hope u figure the postfix part out...I am running the .32 kernel BTW (as all OPENVZ boxes are probably now...)

Naaah. You're on 'forged' .32 :P Real .32 is garbage.

I'll see if I can figure it out, lemme just get my morning shower out of the way.

Francisco

• tuxtux Member

I think that this problem related to OpenVZ.

• DiltDilt Member

@Francisco said: lemme just get my morning shower out of the way.

Fran. Fran. It's like 1 PM California time. There's no way you can say it's a morning shower and justify it.

Thanked by 2Francisco netomx
  • AldryicAldryic Member

@Dilt said: Fran. Fran. It's like 1 PM California time. There's no way you can say it's a morning shower and justify it.

With the sun high in the sky... perhaps a golden shower? :3

Thanked by 1Francisco

Christ, just what I need, 2 staff trolls on this forum =\

Francisco

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@tux said: I think that this problem related to OpenVZ.

I've run postfix on buyvm debian 6 OvZ templates and it autostarted with no problem. I really don't see how the virtualization would have anything to do with something that is a userland app (really, all mail systems do is listen on a port and read/write files).

I believe runlevel 2 is the debian norm. Is the appropriate S link in /etc/rc2.d?

• IcooIcoo Member

@raindog308 yup it's there

The weird thing is all the other stuff like nginx, supervisord,...are starting normally at boot...just Postfix not...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

It may be starting and dying...perhaps there is something in mail.log (or whatever relevant log). You could modify /etc/init.d/postfix to do something like

echo "I started" > /tmp/debug

to make sure it's being called. Or change the startup script to capture the postfix startup to a tempfile.

• IcooIcoo Member

Nothing in mail.log about it...
    I will try the echo command tomorrow morning (Europe here) if Fran doesn't figure it out...hope it's not a OVZ thing. I switched from Ubuntu 12.04 Minimal Beta (thought it's a beta problem) to Debian 6 Minimal because of this...and still occurs, even on Debian...

@Icoo said: I switched from Ubuntu 12.04 Minimal Beta (thought it's a beta problem) to Debian 6 Minimal because of this...and still occurs, even on Debian...

sloppy fix, use /etc/rc.local. Better fix, check the postfix log and see if it's erroring out?

Francisco

• IcooIcoo Member

I tried that on Ubuntu...didn't work, will try it out on Debian in the morning...as for /var/log/mail.log...it seems ok...

• IcooIcoo Member

Log update...I found this at several places (mostly times I rebooted to check if its working)...

May 31 20:17:35 MyServer postfix[1611]: fatal: the postfix command must not run as a set-uid process

• IcooIcoo Member

So tried the /etc/rc.local approach this morning on Debian...one reboot later...still no postfix? Does anyone know what this fatal error is I get in the log (it doesn't appear when I start it manually via sudo service postfix start)...only when I reboot...

• rds100rds100 Member

can you ls -l /usr/sbin/postfix

• rds100rds100 Member

And one more question - cat /proc/user_beancounters
    Maybe you are running out of memory at boot

• Btw, I run postfix perfectly fine on a buyvm 128, so someone or something must have messed with your install.

• IcooIcoo Member

@rds100

• rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9500 May 4 2011 /usr/sbin/postfix
    1. too long to paste now (on my phone now) but I have a 512 MB VPS and free -m says I am currently using 20 MB...so it's probably not a memory thing...
  • Same perms and file size for /usr/sbin/postfix on my box which runs it fine on Deb 6. Weird.

• One thing to note is that I am running the BuyVM Deb6 standard template stripped down. Maybe the minimal template is missing something postfix needs.

• IcooIcoo Member

Well I will wait and see what Fran says...If no one comes up with a fix I will roll standard Debian 6 (unwilingly so because I really like the minimal version...)...+ the same happened on Ubuntu so I doubt it would change anything...

• IcooIcoo Member

Another thing...I have done several reboots now and definetly pinpointed it to the set-uid error above...so if anyone knows why this comes up and how to fix it...that would solve this whole issue...

• IcooIcoo Member

Ok I have noticed something of relevance I think.../etc/init.d/postfix and /usr/sbin/postfix (with ls -l) are all dated May 4 2011 ...whereas other software I installed (like nginx) are dated to the date of installation (2-3 days ago)...so I'm guessing that the postfix init (and symlink in sbin) script came with the template (by error) and then I install postfix it's not overwritten by the package shipped one...any ideas if this makes any sence...

• IcooIcoo Member

Well I have tried everything now...I just can't get it to work...gonna open a ticket so they check the template...as for the set-uid error...I even tried to just install postfix on a fresh untouched Debian 6 Minimal...it won't start after a reboot...