Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSL Cert installation issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSL Cert installation issue

ironhideironhide Member
edited June 2014 in Help

Hello guys

I have a setup where Nginx is sitting in front of Apache as a reverse proxy. Now I want to install SSL cert for this domain. I want to know, do I need to install the SSL certificate for both Apache and Nginx or just Nginx only?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• @ironhide said:
    Hello guys

I have a setup where Nginx is sitting in front of Apache as a reverse proxy. Now I want to install SSL cert for this domain. I want to know, do I need to install the SSL certificate for both Apache and Nginx or just Nginx only?

Thanks in advance.

It depends. What I would do is have the SSL only installed in Nginx and then have the HTTPS requests transform to HTTP via Nginx and then send them onto Apache and then to your backend as plain HTTP. This should increase performance in the reverse proxy and it doesn't affect your (+ your users) security if Nginx + Apache are on the same host.

...Unless you have an unfortunate backdoor on your host where people can sniff your internal traffic :p

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • lukesUbuntulukesUbuntu Member
    edited June 2014

Adding SSL encryption between nginx and apache just adds more overhead and slows down the requests.
    I have Nginx handle SSL, and apache just serves the content (NON SSL) seems fine no issues.

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • Or should I bypass all the https traffic to Apache directly (with SSL installed in it)?

• khavkhav Member

Or a better alternative would be to just remove apache completely from the equation

Nginx+PHP-FPM+ MySQL(if you have a database) should be awesome

I have successfully installed AlphaSSL certificate for my site using nginx only.I ditched apache long back though