Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK Based VPS with an own ISO
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK Based VPS with an own ISO

hawchawc Moderator, LIR
edited June 2014 in Requests

Hi all,
I am looking for a VPS. I have some requirements:
3-4GB of RAM
Reasonably Fast Processor
UK Hosted, with connections to the major UK ISP's (Virgin Media, BT, Sky and others)
I would like about 30 GB of storage.
The ability to use my own ISO, which would be Windows Server. (So I can avoid licensing costs due to obtaining a copy through Microsoft Dreamspark.)
The ability to easily upgrade the performance of my server.

This server would be used to host some game servers for me and a group of friends so I would be looking for a VPS as cheap as you can.

Thanks
Harry Cross

Comments

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited June 2014

Hello @hawc,

Considering you've asked for an Windows, you're asking for KVM or Xen. 3GB of either of these at the $7 price is near impossible, let alone the request for the UK location; and a requirement of good peering.

You should probably post your budget requirements considering all of thee above.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR
    edited June 2014

Ok, I was going to say what can be done for $20-$30.

• We have licensed Windows 2012 R2 DC in the UK for $23.23/month which comes with 4GB memory and 100GB SSD Storage. It's out of stock now, but you can open a ticket and get notified when we have stock if you can wait.

• sc754sc754 Member

@hawc said:
    Ok, I was going to say what can be done for $20-$30.

Get a kimsufi i3 server, ping times to uk are only +1-2ms vs UK. You can install windows through a proxmox KVM or even searching a guide to run the whole system on windows.

@serverian said:
    We have licensed Windows 2012 R2 DC in the UK for $23.23/month which comes with 4GB memory and 100GB SSD Storage. It's out of stock now, but you can open a ticket and get notified when we have stock if you can wait.

How do I open a ticket?

• @hawc said:
    How do I open a ticket?

Here you go: https://winity.io/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=1

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hi Harry,

I can offer you a 4GB Xen HVM VPS in the UK for €20.00 p/month with 200 GB Raid 10 SAS storage and 4 TB Bandwidth.

You can do a try before you buy for 24 hours first if you want.

Plan details: http://inceptionhosting.com/uk-xen-hvm-vps/

Anthony.

@AnthonySmith said:
    Hi Harry,

I can offer you a 4GB Xen HVM VPS in the UK for €20.00 p/month with 200 GB Raid 10 SAS storage and 4 TB Bandwidth.

You can do a try before you buy for 24 hours first if you want.

Plan details: http://inceptionhosting.com/uk-xen-hvm-vps/

Anthony.

What CPU would be behind it? Also, that website only talks about your Miami offering. I presume the same is for your UK offering?

@hawc my apologies refresh your page it should be displaying as expected now shortcode mix up.

CPUs are L5640 @ 2.27 GHz, you get 4 cores with that plan on an equal share basis.

Anthony.

Thanked by 1hawc
  • I'd wait till Winity has stock, SSD storage and @serverian's service is known to be good :)

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

I've been using Winity on an off for a while and their great. I got their last UK VM before they ran out of stock, it now PURE SSD and I'm getting around 600MB/s+ read/write. Network is also great. I live in Mid Wales (Middle of no where with shit internet) on BT and the ping is like 18.

Been chatting with Otkay, their getting a new node setup so stock should be back soon.

It's fully licenced Server 2012 R2 DC too.

@AnthonySmith said:
    hawc my apologies refresh your page it should be displaying as expected now shortcode mix up.

CPUs are L5640 @ 2.27 GHz, you get 4 cores with that plan on an equal share basis.

Anthony.

>
    Just to confirm, I can use my own I so. Also,what is the internet speed into the server?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I highly recommend @AnthonySmith's Windows plans, easily the best I've ever had.

@hawc said:

Yes I can upload an ISO for you (as long as it is legal) but the chances are I have a copy of what ever you want anyway.

Servers are on 100mbit links.

I will be completely transparent with you, my primary focus is stability you may find a faster souped up SSD node, I doubt my service will out perform winty.io in terms of bench marking which is why I am offering you a try before you buy, if it does not fit your needs then no hard feelings.

Thanks @Nekki

@serverian said:
    We have licensed Windows 2012 R2 DC in the UK for $23.23/month which comes with 4GB memory and 100GB SSD Storage. It's out of stock now, but you can open a ticket and get notified when we have stock if you can wait.

Done it, see ticket no: 190188

• trexostrexos Member

Go with @AnthonySmith he is a great person and his vps are at least as great as his support :)

I have spent @AnthonySmith a message.

@serverian said:

Just to check, could I run a Minecraft server on a VPS with you?