Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone use Ajenti?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone use Ajenti?

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited May 2012 in General

http://ajenti.org/

Curious if anyone has had any real experiences to share with it. Quite attractive and doesn't seem to have a terrible footprint. I've got it running on a BuyVM 256 right now. Easy configuration snapshots, unreasonably simple virtual host management for Apache or nginx. Strikes me as a slightly bulkier, significantly more attractive Webmin. Debian repo just makes it stupid easy and quick to setup. Idling at around 50MB RAM, likely because I've made zero attempts to optimize it beyond installing Ubuntu 10.04 and then Ajenti and nginx.

Comments

• Running it on a OpenvZ box just to test, looks great but needs some more implementations and upgrades. However I like the design.

root@ajenti:~# free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 768 358 409 0 0 292
    -/+ buffers/cache: 66 701
    Swap: 256 0 256

• Its fairly good, and I like how its modular.

But it does have some annoying bugs.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Daniel said: But it does have some annoying bugs.

Anything significant that you've caught so far that would stop you from using it to run a couple static, non mission critical sites?

• @jarland said: Anything significant that you've caught so far that would stop you from using it to run a couple static, non mission critical sites?

No, their just usability bugs.

• debugdebug Member

I really like UI. Might as well test it out on one of my un-used boxes :P

• earlearl Member

This is pretty awesome!! thanks for the share...

• bretonbreton Member

It can do nothing I can't do from true-black console.

• AsimAsim Member

Thanks for sharing, let me try

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Gave it a whirl on a ubuntu VM, it's nice.

Trying to decide how I'd run it as a template but for sure it's nice.

Francisco

• VictorVictor Member

Their interface looks great, might give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

• @Francisco said: Trying to decide how I'd run it as a template but for sure it's nice.

Put an installer in init of the template, and once installed remove the installer file.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

This is a nice server control panel, I've used it before. However, I really love OpenPanel

• CoreyCorey Member

@jarland thanks for the share. This panel looks pretty.

• Looks good, will check it out. Thanks!

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member

... hit the thanks button ...

• CoreyCorey Member

@Mon5t3r or the flag? :)

• earlearl Member

@Jeffrey

While I do like Openpanel, if I recalled it was a real pain to install.. Ehcp is also pretty nice but seems to use a lot of memory and requires a lot of user input to install.. and both CP don't feel as responsive as Ajenti.. The only thing about Ajenti is the overlay gives me a headache, tried to disable visual effects in configuration but still the same..

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

It is like webmin?

Not quite as many plugins as webmin but the idea of it is pretty much the same thing. Plugins look pretty easy to make as well.

Neat thx

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

@earl Pain to install??? Just copy and paste the commands from their website into an install of either Debian or Ubuntu

• Anybody know how much memory it consumes on a Debian 32 bit OVZ? Please share your experience, thanks!

edited June 2012

Installed Debian 6, ran updates, I'm sitting at 23mb ram in use. Now to install ajenti...

48mb in use. Didn't reboot, no customizations, nothing. Not too bad. Dropped to 42 when I closed ssh. Openssh really using that much?

@jarland said: Openssh really using that much?

yes. try dropbear

@jarland said: I'm sitting at 23mb ram in use

wow, that's too high

• Thanks for the share, looks pretty good.

edited June 2012

@netomx Yeah I installed the basic template, don't believe it was a minimal installation. So I'm guessing you could probably actually cut this thing down to near webmin's footprint. Minimal systems aren't a big skill of mine yet. I've always been one to just buy more hardware ;)

It doesnt need to be miniimal, I get like 10mb

Admittedly it was 13mb before I ran apt update & upgrade.

@jarland said: Admittedly it was 13mb before I ran apt update & upgrade.

it probably started samba and apache. I disabled sendmail, samba, xinetd, saslauthd, and bunch of services... then you'll lower it to aPROX. 10

Thanked by 1jar

@netomx

Interestingly, you just helped me with my issues with my VNC system. I could not, for the life of me, figure out what was using so much memory. Remove apache and samba, 50% cut in memory usage.