Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS HOSTING IP COST?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS HOSTING IP COST?

Hello folks, so I was looking into getting into the VPS market. I would get WHMCS, SolusVM, and a dedicated server, perfect. But then I remembered that I would have to purchase an additional IP for each VPS. This would be extremely expensive and leave an extremely low profit margin. I was looking to order from www.soyoustart.com who offers IP for $2 I believe. I really wanted to get into the VPS market, maybe even for just a few friends. So, any recommendations on how to keep these cost down?

Comments

• SunnSunn Member
    edited June 2014

1.) Use nulled software for 1 week and get some dis-respect (NOTE: Be Low-Key with it or forums might bann you). Then, some clients should come to you and purchase. After 1 Week, urgently buy all required licenses. (:

Summer is to come, so it's "okay", to break all sort of rules.

• GO WITH COLOCROSSING!

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Yeah, summer is here.

@0xdragon said:
    GO WITH COLOCROSSING!

COLOCROSSING MASTER RACE.

• SunnSunn Member
    edited June 2014

@matthewvz

Not yet, still have 4 More days (EST), We did not even have our summer host opening ceremony yet.

• CltcamCltcam Member

Wait what? I mean, I want to be legit, I just want to keep IP cost down. Not really sure how that's possible though.

• @Cltcam said:
    Wait what? I mean, I want to be legit, I just want to keep IP cost down. Not really sure how that's possible though.

ColoCrossing.

• SunnSunn Member

@Cltcam

https://getdedi.com/cart.php?gid=4

Here niggah, the plan's come with 61 IP. COLOCROSSING Up!

They are a legitimate seller(queryfoundry).

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited June 2014

Keep costs down by not being a host. Just buy the OVH server and they'll provide the hardware, network and support.

Providing hosting to 'a few friends' by charging them a little on top is neither a business model or a favour to friends when you lose interest after a few months.

Alternatively, there are hundreds of 'reseller' hosting accounts that would suit this kind of situtation.

• SunnSunn Member
    edited June 2014

@ricardo

callate la boca - My new spanish phrase.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

What does your budget look like (as in take the money you have in your hand now and divide it by 3 since 3 months of funds is a good safety net for start-ups)? I know of a few data centers who offer IPs for free but you won't find them offering $150/month dedicated servers so if you can afford a decent server at a realistic price, the IPs won't be much of a concern for you.

If you're just looking for VPS hosting for friends and family for fun then you can always use NAT and not have to worry about IP costs. For all of my dedicated servers I use personally I get 2 IPs, throw ESXi on it, build a ClearOS VM, and use NAT for IPv4 and give each VM a dedicated IPv6 address so I don't need to worry about port forwarding for my own stuff.

• Sunn, go outside and play with your friends.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • SunnSunn Member

@ricardo said:

Like this mate????? (Cries of sadness) - I don't have any friends.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited June 2014

lol. just find a hobby then, and try act a little more mature. join a dating site if you're in need of more attention................

• BradBrad Member

Do us, and yourself a favor by just forgetting about starting a company.

• CltcamCltcam Member
    edited June 2014

@Sunn That deal is great but I want to go with the reliable OVH/ soyoustart. They have 180GBPs DDOS protection, which is really needed for the market I want to target

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Cltcam said: OVH/ soyoustart

IMHO reselling OVH/SoYouStart would be a bit of a bad idea because so many people try to resell them because of the cheap servers thus saturating the market there. A good example of this is BeastVM.

• @Cltcam said:

WHMCS - $15/mo

Domain - $15/yr

Website - $10-20 or 100-250/one time

First Node - $100-200/mo

IP Addresses - $300/one time

The fact that you won't even break even for 6 months:

$200 * 6 = Your actual first node budget [$1,200].

With OVH, the IPs are one time, ($3 each) and $0 per month.

Unless you've got $1,500 you want to devote to the "project" at a minimum, I wouldn't start this if I were you. This doesn't even take into account the experience and knowledge required of your virtualization / hypervisor, Operating Systems, networking, software, security, hardware selection, etcetera.

• @GoodHosting said:
    -snip

Aha! Welcome back.

• @0xdragon said:

That wasn't too spiky was it? Just a reasonable budget at a bare minimum provider project :P.

• @GoodHosting said:
    That wasn't too spiky was it? Just a reasonable budget at a bare minimum provider project :P.

I'd say that it's probably around that mark for any serious provider entering the industry.

• SunnSunn Member
    edited June 2014

@Cltcam said:

Ehh, i would not rely too much on OVH ddos protection. They state it "glorifyingly", on the website, but in reality, it is not so good.

To be honest, with your budget. I would suggest Colocrossing. Considering, you would need raid protection, where in OVH it drastically increases the price. That is just one point.

• You could just go ahead and get an ARIN allocation, depending on where you are.

• @bitronictech said:
    You could just go ahead and get an ARIN allocation, depending on where you are.

OVH won't announce your IP space unless you have 40 servers with them [ at least, that was the restriction the guy told me; your mileage may vary. ] And even then, you have to use it the same fancy way you have to use their current IP space...

• Why don't u just offer something like LowEndSpirit? People are ignoring this concept as not profitable, yet there appears to be high demand for such offer (look at the Japan thread just released with 50GB bandwidth sold out in no time). I83 is offering something similar but no TUN/TAP so may be this can be your selling point. You don't need any IPs then. And the best part is you can charge for support, it will be your bottleneck.

Let's face it: Anthony is professional and you can never beat him at his own game :) but you can try and come up second :)

You could start with France then look for more exotic locations like Russia, Africa, Asia. Even for Russia you could get a VPS there and tunnel all traffic from OVH through your Russian VPS.

Or better yet, forget about dedi at this point, just buy KVMs in exotic locations and resell as OpenVZ with NAT.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited June 2014

@elwebmaster said:

IIRC LES in Japan was self-announced as running under profit to offer the location.

EDIT: It wasn't Japan I was thinking of, nvm.

• laaevlaaev Member

Welcome back to LET @GoodHosting!

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2014

GoodHosting said: OVH won't announce your IP space unless you have 40 servers with them

OVH announces space for any server deployment via OVH (not Kimsufi/SoYouStart) without any server restrictions. (only in EU, in CA no customer space is routed)

• rds100rds100 Member

@William do they announce the space from their own AS, or setup a BGP session?

• @William said:
    OVH announces space for any server deployment via OVH (not Kimsufi/SoYouStart) without any server restrictions. (only in EU, in CA no customer space is routed)

They said I needed 40 servers before they would announce my /48 here in Canada. OpenNebula only supports giving each VM a /64 at minimum, so I couldn't use their /64 at all.

• wychwych Member

@GoodHosting said:
    This doesn't even take into account the experience and knowledge required of your virtualization / hypervisor, Operating Systems, networking, software, security, hardware selection, etcetera.

You forgot the cost of chargebacks ;)