Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
IPMI is dead and GetDedi.com refuse to fix it
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

IPMI is dead and GetDedi.com refuse to fix it

peter08popeter08po Member
edited June 2014 in Help

I ordered a dedicated server on GetDedi.com before. But since I assigned the IPMI IP address to a network interface, I am no longer able to access IPMI.

When I ask the support to reboot my server to BIOS (so that I can mount an ISO and reinstall the OS myself), they asked me to pay for $37.5 before they will help.

Is there any alternative that I could try to fix it myself? In my case, is it a "must" to pay them $37.5?

My god! US$37.5 is enough for me to purchase other dedicated servers in other providers. Even the whole server is just $54/month. Why the hel1 do I have to pay a lot to restart the server? Maybe $5, $10 is fine, but they are greedy enough. Even I asked them to lower the price a bit, they said $37.5 to perform a reboot is already much cheaper than other providers/companies.

Really, that's a very bad experience. They got an attitude when I asked them to lower the price.

Comments

• But since I assigned the IPMI IP address to a network interface, I am no longer able to access IPMI.

Thanked by 1fisle

Cheap VPS - VPSDime

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

But since I assigned the IPMI IP address to a network interface, I am no longer able to access IPMI.

Dont assign the IPMI to the adaptor in future and pay the remote hands fee since you borked it instead of calling them out on LET.

Thanked by 2fisle netomx

Taking a hiatus.

• tomletomle Member

Well, you assigned the IPMI IP to a network interface, why should they do free work when you screw up?
    They give you IPMI so that you can reboot and/or reinstall OS etc if you screw up. I find it reasonable that they charge you for this as it is a self managed server.
    If you had not messed with the IPMI IP, you could have rebooted the server as much as you wanted, for free. Even to BIOS.

RIPE LIR: Contact me for ASN registrations/IPv6. No IPv4 space left.

• I know, but....is it reasonable to pay $37.5 for a single reboot?

• wychwych Member

@peter08po said:
    I know, but....is it reasonable to pay $37.5 for a single reboot?

Its not a reboot its a half hour remote hands fee no?

Taking a hiatus.

• @peter08po said:
    I know, but....is it reasonable to pay $37.5 for a single reboot?

I doubt that is for a single reboot. It should include the reconfiguring the IPMI interface, too. Are you sure?

Thanked by 1netomx

Cheap VPS - VPSDime

• peter08popeter08po Member
    edited June 2014

@tomle said:
    Well, you assigned the IPMI IP to a network interface, why should they do free work when you screw up?
    They give you IPMI so that you can reboot and/or reinstall OS etc if you screw up. I find it reasonable that they charge you for this as it is a self managed server.
    If you had not messed with the IPMI IP, you could have rebooted the server as much as you wanted, for free. Even to BIOS.

I didn't ask for free, did I? I'm asking for a more reasonable price. I think an acceptable range should be $10~15. That's OK, I'd have paid it.
    $37.5 is just too much.

• @serverian said:

No, I'm asking them to reboot. No other things to do. JUST REBOOT: $37.5.
    Fun enough.

• wychwych Member

@peter08po said:
    No, I'm asking them to reboot.

You sure?

As the price you quoted sounds like a remote hands fee which includes a reboot and fix for/to IPMI.

Taking a hiatus.

• serverianserverian Member
    edited June 2014

@peter08po said:
    Fun enough.

They don't own their own datacenter with their in-house staff. So they have to pay for remote hand fees. And most datacenters charge $125/hour with 15 min intervals. So that price is fair.

Thanked by 1netomx

Cheap VPS - VPSDime

• @wych said:
    As the price you quoted sounds like a remote hands fee which includes a reboot and fix for/to IPMI.

Just reboot. I didn't even ask them to fix the IPMI. They insist to charge me $37.5.
    Remember, just reboot to BIOS. There's nothing more to do.

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

@peter08po said:
    Remember, just reboot to BIOS. There's nothing more to do.

As @serverian said they do not own the DC, so doing a manual hands on reset will cost them a remote hands fee.

@peter08po what box did you get for $54?

Taking a hiatus.

edited June 2014

@serverian said:
    They don't own their own datacenter with their in-house staff. So they have to pay for remote hand fees. And most datacenters charge $125/hour with 15 min intervals. So that price is fair.
    @wych said:
    peter08po what box did you get for $54?

So you are telling me that GetDedi.com is only a middleman.

They are providing false information on their webpage. My server is located in Dallas.

• @peter08po said:
    So you are telling me that GetDedi.com is only a middleman.
    They are providing false information on their webpage. My server is located in Dallas.

They own their network and their cabinets and their hardware. They don't own the datacenter space. There are very few companies who actually own the datacenter space. Even the bigger companies just rent space. They are not a middle man. They are not a reseller.

Thanked by 1netomx

Cheap VPS - VPSDime

• @wych said:
    peter08po what box did you get for $54?

It was an offer that their admin sent me via private message.

• wychwych Member

@peter08po said:
    It was an offer that their admin sent me via private message.

Nice, paid the remote hands and got IPMI online yet?

Taking a hiatus.

• @wych said:
    Nice, paid the remote hands and got IPMI online yet?

Did not pay.
    Have been negotiating with their support for 2 days.
    No hope.
    (Though the offer was really a great one.)

• rds100rds100 Member

So is the server dead / not responding? Can you ssh in and remove that IP from the network interface?

-

• @rds100 said:
    So is the server dead / not responding? Can you ssh in and remove that IP from the network interface?

SSH is inaccessible as well.

• wychwych Member

@rds100 said:

rds to the rescue!

Taking a hiatus.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited June 2014

It's not just a reboot. The full details was nicely explained in the ticket. A single reboot won't fix the described issue, since the OP has explained that the IPMI IP has been assigned to something else.

We provided a workaround free of charge as a courtesy the first time. I'm not sure how it's unfair. Please don't create drama out of it.

wych said: As @serverian said they do not own the DC, so doing a manual hands on reset will cost them a remote hands fee.

It shouldn't matter if someone owns the DC or not. The fee still has to be paid. Onsite staff still needs to be fed lol.

peter08po said: I didn't ask for free. I'm asking for a more reasonable price. I think an acceptable range should be $10~15. That's OK, I'd have paid it. $37.5 is just too much.

Sorry? That's just 15 mins of remote hands fee. Equinix, Internap and like charges something like $300/hour paid in 30mins or even hourly for any work.

To be clear: we're not refusing to fix it. We offered solutions and you can confirm with the OP. The server is self-managed and we've made it clear in a welcome email to please leave the IPMI IP alone (something most users should be aware of).

Thanked by 2netomx mpkossen
    Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
    We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
  • wychwych Member

Think everyone here knows what went down concerto49...

Taking a hiatus.

• @concerto49 said:
    It's not just a reboot. The full details was nicely explained in the ticket. A single reboot won't fix the described issue, since the OP has explained that the IPMI IP has been assigned to something else.

We provided a workaround free of charge as a courtesy the first time. I'm not sure how it's unfair. Please don't create drama out of it.

To be clear: we're not refusing to fix it. We offered solutions and you can confirm with the OP. The server is self-managed and we've made it clear in a welcome email to please leave the IPMI IP alone (something most users should be aware of).

Who's creating drama? You!
    On about 11:19 PM you told me you can offer 1st help for free. I replied "Yes" on 11:56 PM. I've been waiting in front of the computer till 1:00 AM. No response.
    The next day when I woke up, I saw you sent me a message on 2:51 AM, telling me you have shut down IPMI port for 40 minutes and ask me to quickly finish within that period.
    Would you expect a person to stay in front of the computer for a whole night just to wait for the support replies? No, and you think this is fair. You think I'm creating drama but you have admitted what you have said in the ticket.

• peter08po said: The next day when I woke up, I saw you sent me a message on 2:51 AM, telling me you have shut down IPMI port for 40 minutes and ask me to quickly finish within that period. Would you expect a person to stay in front of the computer for a whole night just to wait for the support replies? No, and you think this is fair. You think I'm creating drama but you have admitted what you have said in the ticket.

Correct, this was courtesy extended towards you since this was the first time -- one you appear to not appreciate.

What time it might be at your place is up to you to consider, there's no way for us to 'be considerate' of this since someone's midnight is someone else's morning, and vice versa.

You failed to get it done within the first, freely offered period (Something we're under no obligation to even offer, but did solely as a courtesy) -- secondary attempts are no longer free, as explained to you. I don't assume there's a need to 'explain' why this might be the case.

Either way, your options have been outlined to you -- it's up to you now.

-- BOFH

• Why in the world would you allow an OOB network IP to be bound to any servers at all. The OOB IP block should be on a completely separate network with it's own switches and IP Blocks, if the inverse is the case then they seem to have a much bigger issues. The IPMI network is a last resort and should be always online and it should be the hosts prerogative to keep it online. While I'm not saying customer is not completely free from fault (he bound is OOB IP to a NIC), there should be systems in place to ensure this doesn't happen as IPMI is kind of important in these situations.

Thanked by 1peter08po
  • @Wintereise said:
    Either way, your options have been outlined to you -- it's up to you now.

Yup, it is a courtesy to ask somebody wake up in 3 AM to fix the problem....
    It is a courtesy to suddenly shut off the IPMI port without prior notice, provided that the user have been waiting 2 hrs in the midnight.

• netomxnetomx Member, Moderator

@peter08po said:
    It is a courtesy to suddenly shut off the IPMI port without prior notice, provided that the user have been waiting 2 hrs in the midnight.

Whine

• ApplePi said: there should be systems in place to ensure this doesn't happen as IPMI is kind of important in these situations.

You're welcome to come up with some, if you so wish.

That is, implement binding of a single IP from a block (of a specific vlan) onto a specific mac address and nothing else. The only way to do this on JunOS is creating extensive firewall rules for every single RVI subinterface, and applying them; maintenance will of course be a huge pita.

Even then, you don't 'block' anything, you'd simply be dropping traffic where the mac doesn't match.

This however, is not something a L3 aggregator should be having to waste CPU cycles on. Inline firewalling is usually not the forte here.

If your solution is actually elegant (which I know it won't be), I'm more than open to suggestions. Please also do not recommend two separate vlans per box, that is also impractical.

VPNing and using a completely separate range do not fall under this, and we may implement that later down the road.

peter08po said: Yup, it is a courtesy to ask somebody wake up in 3 AM to fix the problem.... It is a courtesy to suddenly shut off the IPMI port without prior notice, provided that the user have been waiting 2 hrs in the midnight.

Unrelated, it was a problem you caused; I don't think there's a need for us to expand further here.

This will be our last reply on this topic, because there's pretty much nothing to do but go around in circles.

-- BOFH

• @peter08po - this is because they need to pay their datacentre provider for remote hands, so they are just passing it on to you. As others have said here, these datacentres will charge anywhere between $150-300/hour depending on the site and time of day.

Its always good to find out upfront whether a dedicated server provider will charge should you need hardware assistance as in this case. Some won't charge you a penny, others will milk you dry. I am not sure who's rackspace they rent in Dallas and LA but I'd say there is little to no profit in $37.50

Thanked by 2Wintereise netomx
  • wychwych Member

@Wintereise said:
    This will be our last reply on this topic, because there's pretty much nothing to do but go around in circles.

Circles can be fun, on a skid pan.

Thanked by 2Wintereise netomx

Taking a hiatus.

edited June 2014

@Wintereise said:

Bye! Good luck in your future endeavors.

• qpsqps Member, Provider
    edited June 2014

peter08po said: Remember, just reboot to BIOS.

A simple push button reboot and a reboot to BIOS are two different things. Many data centers will push the power or reset button for you for no charge (or for a very minimal charge), especially if it is during day time hours. Connecting a monitor/keyboard and entering BIOS is almost always billable labor, which would be billed at the hourly rate.

Here's a thought.

Ask them to temporarily disable the switch port for eth0 of your server, clear out the ARP entry, then try to access the IPMI. Should allow you to get in and make the necessary config changes, then they can re-enable the switch port.

No remote hands required.

QuickPacket - Charlotte, Los Angeles, Chicago, Manchester UK

edited June 2014

@qps said:
    Here's a thought.

Ask them to temporarily disable the switch port for eth0 of your server, clear out the ARP entry, then try to access the IPMI. Should allow you to get in and make the necessary config changes, then they can re-enable the switch port.

No remote hands required.

No hope on them. They are going to say that my server is unmanaged and they are out of this. Perhaps such a complex job will even give them a chance to charge me a lot more. But anyway, thank you for your suggestion

• NyrNyr Member
    edited June 2014

TL;DR: you fucked up one time, they helped for free. You fucked up exactly the same way for a second time and you expect free support one more time.

Looks like you need a managed service, specially since you assigned the IPMI address to your eth0. Two times.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • smansman Member
    edited June 2014

Not defending anyone on either side but this is an easy mistake to make...once. I did it....once. So now rule #1 is never ever mess with IPMI settings in BIOS.

Regarding datacenters. This is why I try find providers who own or have a close relationship with the datacenter. At the very least check that they are located in the same city or have employees in different cities so you know there is a good chance they are in there every day.

This is not as easy as it sounds. Everyone tries to make it seem as if they have their own people looking after their equipment in all their data centers which often is not the case. So really hard to almost impossible to get this sort of information out of them or to try find it out in other ways. You have to become Sherlock Holmes in some respects. Check for past job openings, compare phone numbers, ask on boards like LET, social engineering ;).

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@Jack said:
    sman he didn't mess with IPMI in BIOS...

As far as I know... he binded the IPMI IP to the OS?

If IPMI will still work on reboot then there should not be a charge just for a reboot. Most people here are saying it's not that so that can only mean it was changed in BIOS.

Many providers have remote power cycle capability in their control panels so even if I lost IPMI I should still be able to reboot.

• tbh, even though the OP did mess up, and the host is helping for free, it's a bit silly to send someone a message saying "OK, you have a 40 minute window" as opposed to agreeing upon a timeframe.

Thanked by 1peter08po

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• smansman Member

@Jack said:

Awfully quick to judge aren't we? Before I even had a chance to clarify. HMMM

• You can do it with ipmitool as well

@sman: The easiest way to find out whether a company owns their datacentre is look for things like construction permits at city hall. You can't build a datacentre without electrical permit, construction permits, etc.

Or if they are on the tenant register for that building, most buildings have a wall board to tell you where the tenants are located. So people colocating with Coresite/Equinix etc don't appear.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Top Provider
    edited June 2014

@sman said:

Don't worry, @Jack is cool

HostUS | OpenVZ & KVM VPS in 10 worldwide locations with our own Breeze Panel!
    AS7489 | View our network | LIR Services - IPv4, IPv6, ASN | Latest Special Offers!

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    You can do it with ipmitool as well

sman: The easiest way to find out whether a company owns their datacentre is look for things like construction permits at city hall. You can't build a datacentre without electrical permit, construction permits, etc.

Or if they are on the tenant register for that building, most buildings have a wall board to tell you where the tenants are located. So people colocating with Coresite/Equinix etc don't appear.

...but most don't own it which is fine by me if they have staff onsite regularly.

• LeeLee Member

AlexanderM said: Don't worry, @Jack is just an English Prick

Are you a provider or just 12.

Thanked by 2MartinD hostnoob
  • @sman but the you end up in the point of who's cage is it? Who's staff is it? etc. A certain company in NJ has just gone pear shaped who had their 'own' datacentre, staff, etc. We bought the assets over the w/e, during the disclosures 'own' datacentre became a private cage which when two of my colleagues arrived this morning has just turned out to be 4 racks in someone else's cage and they've never been to site according to the access log.

It turns out that they don't even own their router, they are just using a vRouter on their upstream providers network. Their router turns out to be a Dell 1U server which they have strung a couple of Juniper EX4200's off.

When you read their marketing material vs the reality it makes your head spin.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Top Provider
    edited June 2014

@W1V_Lee said:
    Are you a provider or just 12.

Me and jack are really good mates, it's called banter ? @W1V_Lee

HostUS | OpenVZ & KVM VPS in 10 worldwide locations with our own Breeze Panel!
    AS7489 | View our network | LIR Services - IPv4, IPv6, ASN | Latest Special Offers!

• wychwych Member

@AlexanderM said:
    Me and jack are really good mates, it's called banter ? W1V_Lee

good ol banter lads!

@MarkTurner said:

I get this due to the IM work I do; you read a copy and see the product sometimes... #headgone

Taking a hiatus.

• smansman Member
    edited June 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    sman but the you end up in the point of who's cage is it? Who's staff is it? etc. A certain company in NJ has just gone pear shaped who had their 'own' datacentre, staff, etc. We bought the assets over the w/e, during the disclosures 'own' datacentre became a private cage which when two of my colleagues arrived this morning has just turned out to be 4 racks in someone else's cage and they've never been to site according to the access log.

It turns out that they don't even own their router, they are just using a vRouter on their upstream providers network. Their router turns out to be a Dell 1U server which they have strung a couple of Juniper EX4200's off.

I guess it sort of depends if we are talking managed vs unmanaged. I am talking unmanaged. I just want hardware and a reliable connection and that's it. If a drive dies I want it replaced asap. That sort of thing. That is about the best I hope for with unmanaged. As far as who owns the core networking gear and that sort of thing. I don't hope to get to know that far in. If they are having problems with the core gear it's a big enough problem that the data center employees usually get on it right away. I look at the particulars of the data center and history of problems with other providers in that data center for that

I have accepted that this is pretty much the status quo in this biz. Unless you want to go with premium providers at premium prices and even that is no guarantee.

• LeeLee Member

That kind of banter is best kept for Skype, not on a public forum for everyone to see and relate to the your signature. Not that it bothers me, but if you find that acceptable in public then it says volumes to to the clients that might have chosen you but found that comment in their search.

Thanked by 2MartinD hostnoob
  • He'll be too busy driving around in his Z4 to care tbh.

• LeeLee Member

Z4? Who made that bad decision...

• tehdantehdan Member

I'm seriously considering billing the OP $37.50 just for reading this thread.