Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ticket/Support Software
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ticket/Support Software

nimdynimdy Member
edited May 2012 in General

Hi guys. Can anyone recommend any free ticket/support tracking tool to run on my VPS?

I'm working for a construction company who is taking on an IT project to revolutionise the company ;) I'm on the project, but don't actually work for the IT department.

When the system goes live in August I am tasked with logging users bugs, issues, and any further development work that is required. Everything needs to be logged. Simple things like "I cant find the xyz function" will be resolved by me and I can close out the ticket. Anything that requires the IT department to resolve (reset passwords, server restarts etc) I need to flag as escalated to IT where I will log the call manually in their ticket system. There is also a further escalation point - if the IT dept cant sort it, they escalate to the software provider we purchased the system from.

I started with a simple spreadsheet with a gazillion columns to log everything, but I think this is a bit naff. I'd like to know if there is any OSS to help me out. I've seen a couple but they either involve a complicated install procedure, or have no decent install instructions to follow at all.

I had looked at Elastik - http://elastik.sourceforge.net/ which seems to do what I want, but it doesnt seem to have been worked on for the last year, and I cant find the install instructions for it.

Comments

• jhjh Member
    edited May 2012

There's nothing good that's free as far as I know. Zendesk is $20/year though.

If you absolutely must have something free there's OSTicket.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

Perhaps http://flyspray.org/ for bugs

• I like Hesk, very free and robust. There is a pay option to remove back-links to the author.

hesk.com

• laaevlaaev Member

@jtodd said: Zendesk is $20/year though.

I thought it was $20/m O.O

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@FTN_Kevin said: I thought it was $20/m O.O

Depends on how many agents you have:

http://www.zendesk.com/product/pricing

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BTW, I find it amusing at the cultural ignorance of that company...at the bottom they have an icon of Budai, who is a sort of fat Chinese Santa Claus. He has nothing to do with Zen Buddhism or the Buddha but Westerners frequently confuse him with the Buddha.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

I wish Trellis had more activity and Zendesk wasn't so expensive ($24/month per agent in order to get what WHMCS has). :(

Thanked by 1klikli
  • laaevlaaev Member

@KuJoe said: I wish Trellis had more activity and Zendesk wasn't so expensive ($24/month per agent in order to get what WHMCS has). :(

Does WHMCS have LoginShare for Zendesk?

• subigosubigo Member

Zendesk is awesome. Moving to it in a day or two.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

Zendesk... ZenSix... hmmm... :P

• nimdynimdy Member

Thanks guys. I'm giving Hesk a go. Found some install instructions for Elastik but for the life of me I cant get it working. 2 min install process with Hesk on the other hand which seems to be working :)

• gsxgsx Member

Trellis is a great help desk system. I just found it hard to theme/customize. osTicket is also a good help desk system, which is easy to theme and customize.

• I setup Bugzilla to use as a ticketing system. It takes some config to get it to work, but works great as a ticketing system.

• qenoxqenox Member

I always liked http://cerberusweb.com/

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Currently using the built in whmcs ticket system, though I trailed Zendesk out for a month and can say I quite liked it. The user interface is clean and the iPhone/iPad/android apps are convenient as well.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited May 2012

Request Tracker is a fairly well-known and widely-used piece of free helpdesk software that sounds to be about what you're looking for.

For a tracker more strictly oriented to software development, JIRA isn't free (and is actually rather expensive past the first 10 users) and instance and plugin administration can be awkward (being Java-based as it is) but once it's actually set up it's awesome to use.

Redmine is also somewhat software development-oriented and has a few major lacking features, such as cross-project dependencies, but it's pretty solid overall and I wouldn't hesitate to spin up another instance the next time I need a free tracker.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

anyone tried Sysaid?
    http://www.sysaid.com/free-edition.htm

We use it at work (not the free version) but theres something to start with if you have a smaller clientbase. The database is also documented so you could probably pretty easy build some integration with other systems if needed.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

RT (already mentioned ) and otrs are great IMHO :-)