Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You know any gui based arcvhive tools for centos like windows-winrar,winzip,7zip?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

You know any gui based arcvhive tools for centos like windows-winrar,winzip,7zip?

raihan0888raihan0888 Member
edited May 2012 in Help

And please tell me how to install from shell and access by vnc.I setup vnc but tools needed to split from large file to small size.

my os centos 5,32bit.

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Try xarchiver, it's probably in your repository.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited May 2012

If you change your mind and want to try a command line utility, this is exactly what split is for:

split -b 512m myfile myfile.

That'll split myfile into as many 512MB files as necessary (named myfile.aa, myfile.ab, etc.).

On the receiving end, just cat the files back together:

cat myfile.* > myfile

• exussumexussum Member

Q7z or Q7z

• @MrDOS said: If you change your mind and want to try a command line utility, this is exactly what split is for:

Yup. I'd also note

tar -czf some.tgz somefolder/

And then split the tgz. You can also then re-open it with the default tools on every Linux distro I know of, and on Windows (join the files... I forget the command, and then open it with winzip, winrar, 7zip, etc)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

you mean text-based gui, because you will not use gnome or kde?

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

@DimeCadmium said: I forget the command

Apparently copy will do it:

copy /b myfile.aa+myfile.ab myfile

• GaNiGaNi Member
    edited May 2012

Try WinRAR

wget http://www.rarlab.com/rar/rarlinux-3.8.0.tar tar -xf rarlinux-3.8.0.tar.gz cd rar

Copy rar & unrar files to /usr/bin:

cp rar unar /usr/bin

How to use:

unrar x

rar a filename filesource `

To split a big file:

rar a filename -v102400k "folder/file"

PS: Unfortunately, 3.80 is pretty old build. It lacks some features.

• GaNiGaNi Member

For 7zip,

yum install p7zip
    7za

• @joepie91 said: Try xarchiver, it's probably in your repository.

The CentOS Repository is usually very out of date.

• tuxtux Member

ark?

• I wish there was a command line extractor that worked out the file type based on the extension, would save having to remember all the letters.

Could just write a shell script to read $0, get the extension and then do the appropriate options, wouldn't be that hard I guess.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: The CentOS Repository is usually very out of date.

I'm not sure how that matters for something like xarchiver. It's not like archivers often change their featureset.

EDIT: That being said, I do use a distro with reasonably up-to-date repositories in my desktop (OpenSuSE) to avoid missing features etc in software. Your point is valid, it just doesn't really seem to apply to this specific situation.