Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi

AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
edited May 2012 in General

I have just received the following email:

Dear Alexander,

Thank you for registering your interest in the Raspberry Pi with us.

We are very pleased to tell you that we have begun volume manufacture and you will shortly receive an email giving you the chance to pre-order your Raspberry Pi.

While you are waiting keep up-to-date with the latest news and information at www.element14.com.

Once again, thank you for your patience.

Farnell element14

I belive I subscribed to element14, as they were out of stock when I tried buying, the day they released them. So I just received this email, 5 mintues ago. Guess they will soon be back in stock and everyone that missed their chance and is willing to order, will be able to. :P

Comments

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

Hmm, I ordered from Element 14 the day it was to open to pre-orders and received the unit last week

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2012

@miTgiB said: Hmm, I ordered from Element 14 the day it was to open to pre-orders and received the unit last week

>

How much did it cost with delivery? Also was it worth it, to play around with it? I had the idea in placing one of those, hooked up with wi-fi in my laser printer at the office, so I can print directly from my laptop / phone or tablet in case of need, but probably wouldn't be able to do it.

• DamianDamian Member

@LiquidHost said: hooked up with wi-fi in my laser printer at the office, so I can print directly from my laptop / phone or tablet in case of need

How would this be different from a purpose-built wireless print server?

Thanked by 1nabo
  • ChronicChronic Member

@miTgiB said: I ordered from Element 14 the day it was to open to pre-orders and received the unit last week

I ordered mine then as well, still waiting for any actual delivery confirmation.

• @Damian

Cheaper perhaps?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@LiquidHost said: How much did it cost with delivery? Also was it worth it, to play around with it?

It was $50 delivered, was it worth it, probably not, as it is still sitting in the box. I've taken it out, looked at it, and put it back in the box. I spend more time on other projects currently that it will probably sit and collect dust until a better version comes out. But, I do limit myself to $100 when buying toys on an idea, as I know half the time I space it out and never follow through, so I'm better off with limiting what I throw away cash wise.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • I ordered my Raspberry Pi on 18th of May, expected delivery time is 3 weeks. I paid 39€ for shipping to Germany. Besides, I expect another Raspberry Pi I got quite cheap from eBay for later this week.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Damian said: How would this be different from a purpose-built wireless print server?

>

Would differ - this would be much worse than actual print server... I just wanted to play around once I have some free time.. I liked the idea of that.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited May 2012

@miTgiB said: It was $50 delivered, was it worth it, probably not, as it is still sitting in the box.

Yeah, I got the e-mail a few days ago, loaded up the order page, coughed, and closed it. For a $35 machine, I can't justify an extra 45% in shipping.

Thanked by 2djvdorp haphan
  • tmn29atmn29a Member

@HerrMaulwurf said: I ordered my Raspberry Pi on 18th of May, expected delivery time is 3 weeks. I paid 39€ for shipping to Germany. Besides, I expect another Raspberry Pi I got quite cheap from eBay for later this week.

Did you paid 39€ only for shipping or for the whole package ?

• klikliklikli Member
    edited May 2012

For those who had already owned the Raspberry Pi, may I ask how's the performance on playing Youtube HTML5?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

havent trsted it, but probably crap. X is not accelerated.

• klikliklikli Member

@netomx said: havent trsted it, but probably crap. X is not accelerated.

But I thought in the future they will have H.264 acceleration (of the display card) supported?

• @tmn29a said: Did you paid 39€ only for shipping or for the whole package ?

I paid 39€ for the whole package including a standard Raspberry Pi (without any extras) and shipping to Germany.

Thanked by 2tmn29a Mon5t3r

@klikli said: ut I thought in the future they will have H.264 acceleration (of the display card) supported?

future. Hey don't get me wrong, I like the RPi, I got 2 of them ;)

• klikliklikli Member

@netomx said: @klikli said: ut I thought in the future they will have H.264 acceleration (of the display card) supported?

Now I inquired the performance now, I mean, is 800Mhz enough to decode 360p videos?

@klikli said: Now I inquired the performance now, I mean, is 800Mhz enough to decode 360p videos?

do you mean 360p<1080p ? If yes, yeah, I have tried 1080 using omxplayer and works flawlessly.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@klikli said: Now I inquired the performance now, I mean, is 800Mhz enough to decode 360p videos?

TVs are able to decode 1080p video and have a 800Mhz processor (sometimes less or more).

• dwilddwild Member

The 1080p is done by the GPU not the CPU.

Thats right

• corpuscorpus Member

They send me email to order it
    is it worth it to take it now or should i have to wait for some kind of upgrade
    i think it will be useful to increase ram
    any reviews from people that allready have it?
    thanks

• dwilddwild Member

I don't think they will have an upgrade until at least a year... they started to work on the Raspberry Pi a year ago... and their goal (being able to sale it in bulk to school) is still not achived. Maybe a competitor will sell a "clone" with more ram but I would not wait for the Raspberry Pi foundation for that.

I think you can wait at least for an "upgrade" in the software. Currently with no acceleration and with nearly no support, it's hard to do anything. I put maybe 12 hours to understand how to build Quake 3 (I build 3 times Quake with Open GL instead of Open GL ES). 2 or 3 weeks ago I tried to build Snes9X but it's not working. Today I tried to use my external DVD drive on my Raspberry Pi, I was able to get file from a normal DVD but I was unable to get anything from a video DVD...

It's up to you. I'm still loosing time trying to do simple thing on it... an Intel Atom board at 100$ would be a better deal currently than a Raspberry Pi (because time is money :P).

@dwild said: normal DVD but I was unable to get anything from a video DVD...

use omxplayer

• Just curious, any of you guys heard of Arduino?
    http://www.arduino.cc/

yeah... just like a PIC to me

• dwilddwild Member
    edited June 2012

@netomx said: use omxplayer

Omxplayer is used to play video, what I'm talking about is to access the DVD.

@Insidiea said: Just curious, any of you guys heard of Arduino?

I have one, it works perfectly on the RPi, a simple "sudo apt-get install arduino" and you can use it.

@dwild said: access the DVD.

omxplayer can't decode?

• klikliklikli Member

Also got the pre-order email today. Is thinking whether buy or not.

• @Insidiea said: Just curious, any of you guys heard of Arduino?

Teensy is better. :3 http://pjrc.com/ I have two of them, basically a remake of the Arduino.

• tmn29atmn29a Member
    edited June 2012

Just got my preorder mail. I'm split between buying one and selling the order key. As it seems you can make around 20€ for nothing and I have no immediate use for that little board.