Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Broken Profile Picture
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Broken Profile Picture

This has been ongoing for months, since ColoCrossing changed the system here. Any idead why every time I change my profile picture, it is always broken and never gets uploaded, properly? Each image I select is always under the max MB per file.

Comments

• Takes a couple of minutes to be cached on all servers I guess? Or maybe it takes a while for CloudFlare to cache it?

• @mpkossen I changed it June 4th.. and it never worked before then after the switch from using Gravatar. What gives? lol

• Try it again :-)

• nerouxneroux Member

It always takes a few minutes, but then it usually shows up. You currently do have a proper picture in place.

• i had to change my avatar 13 times and then it finally showed up

• nerouxneroux Member

My suggestion, remove your existing picture. Wait ten minutes. Upload the new one and wait twenty minutes. Then I'd expect it to show up properly.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • neroux said: It always takes a few minutes, but then it usually shows up. You currently do have a proper picture in place.

His avatar gives a page not found error:

http://lowendtalk.com/uploads/userpics/284/nNXF45K7WSTU5.jpg

• nerouxneroux Member

True, sorry for the misinformation before -> the beauty of caching ;)

• neroux said: True, sorry for the misinformation before -> the beauty of caching ;)

I don't care about your words of retribution. I want compensation. $100 should do.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • nerouxneroux Member

AThomasHowe said: I don't care about your words of retribution. I want compensation. $100 should do.

To be precise, I never questioned your statements ;).

But anyhow, credit card fine?

Thanked by 2AThomasHowe netomx
  • Took me a few tries, but eventually mine uploaded.

• PeroniPeroni Member

Lol this has been an on going problem for over an year now !

• GuanYuGuanYu Member
    edited June 2014

@Jeffrey said:
    it is always broken and never gets uploaded

Not true. We all see your face.
    With regret :S

• fluidryno said: Took me a few tries, but eventually mine uploaded.

Yours is broken for me.

neroux said: But anyhow, credit card fine?

...it'll do...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited June 2014

It works for me.

It's either waiting for the cluster sync or for CloudFlare caching. If there's something wrong with the former, I could ask Alex to look at it. If it's the latter, it's going to be a lot harder as CloudFlare is known for their finger-pointing behavior.

Update: I've sent Alex an e-mail regarding this.

• luissousaluissousa Member
    edited June 2014

@mpkossen said:
    Update: I've sent Alex an e-mail regarding this.

You can change cache settings in cloudflare.
    You can even change them so that avatars are not cached or cache only lasts for some time.

• mpkossen said: Update: I've sent Alex an e-mail regarding this.

Please don't spam my e-mail ;)

Could be cloud flare, just tested it on a US web proxy and it loaded.

Are you guys seeing blank images all in the UK/EU? I know it's not all of EU 'cos of @mpkossen.

• Looks fine to me today, but I didn't see anything yesterday.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

it might be the caching yes. i'd assume cloudflare redirects the visitor to the most nearby server, if that server didn't cache the new image yet then it might causes this issue?

• VPNVPN Member

@Liam said:
    jeffrey fixed it for you.

Yeah I see it now.

• All working for me now, including min which broke when I reuploaded it as a test (assuming you didn't fix mine too Liam).

• @AThomasHowe said:
    Are you guys seeing blank images all in the UK/EU? I know it's not all of EU 'cos of mpkossen.

I've been seeing blank images for most users (not all) for about a month now, but it was never a big issue for me so I never brought it up. I'm in Canada, by the way.

• hellogoodbye said: I've been seeing blank images for most users (not all) for about a month now, but it was never a big issue for me so I never brought it up. I'm in Canada, by the way.

Any in this thread? A few were broken earlier... but yeah, I saw one or two about aswell.

• I saw a bunch of blank images before I allowed Gravatar in Ghostery. Could be just me though.

Thanked by 1hellogoodbye
  • @AThomasHowe said:
    Any in this thread? A few were broken earlier... but yeah, I saw one or two about aswell.

So far in this thread alone: Jeffrey, mpkossen, Peroni, CharlesA, VPN, luissousa.

The strange thing is earlier this morning I was able to see Jeffrey's profile image, and I've been able to see the images of the other users I listed in the past too.

• @Liam @mpkossen Where is it pulling my current profile picture from?

• hellogoodbye said: So far in this thread alone: Jeffrey, mpkossen, Peroni, CharlesA, VPN, luissousa.

Really? o_O very odd. Must be a cache issue.

• THERE WE ****ing go :) Ignore my last comment, @liam and @mpkossen :)

• nerouxneroux Member

@CharlesA said:
    I saw a bunch of blank images before I allowed Gravatar in Ghostery. Could be just me though.

You made a very good point. Ghostery appears to block Gravatar and this blocks certain images (not all, but yours for example).

• @neroux said:
    You made a very good point. Ghostery appears to block Gravatar and this blocks certain images (not all, but yours for example).

Indeed. I was trying to figure it out after disabling noscript and adblock and found out Ghostery considered Gravitar to be a "Widget" and blocked it.