Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Winity going to full SSD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Winity going to full SSD

CrabCrab Member
edited June 2014 in Providers

We are writing to inform you about an upcoming maintenance period for your Winity VPS.

As you may have noticed, the disk I/O performance of your VPS was not great due to the use of HDD arrays on our nodes. We have come to the conclusion that the only way to improve this greatly and make it future proof is to upgrade the storage to full SSD arrays. This upgrade will give you a great performance improvement.

After a research period, we have concluded that we are going to be able to migrate your VPS on to the new full SSD nodes easily. This migration will be live and will not require any downtime. Your VPS will be online and fully functional during the migration period and you will not notice a thing.

However, in order for us to do this live migration, we are going to have to prepare the old nodes. Unfortunately this preparation will require a node reboot.

The expected amount of downtime is around one hour and will happen on June 13 at 4AM CST (9AM UTC).

Please note that your IP will not change. Your VPS will be untouched and your data will be there on the new nodes.

We are sorry for this inconvenience and hope that you will enjoy this upgrade in performance.

Should you have any questions about the process, please open a ticket from the client area.

Regards,
Winity Team

Going to have 200GB SSD storage...simply wow.

Please Oktay just take all my money!

Thanked by 1Bablimi

Comments

• ccaritaccarita Member
    edited June 2014

Are you sure you keep the space you previously had? For example, I currently have 100GB space that came with my 2GB RAM Winity VPS. I looked at the Client Area, and it says the space I have is 75GB of Storage, that happens to be the new SSD space available at the new 2GB RAM SSD plan. I guess that it is just an erroneous information in the Client Area, and we will keep the HD space we had in our legacy plans. Despite it, it's great that this upgrade is being performed, since HDD performance at Winity was really degrading...

• @ccarita said:
    Are you sure you keep the space you previously had? For example, I currently have 100GB space that came with my 2GB RAM Winity VPS. I looked at the Client Area, and it says the space I have is 75GB of Storage, that happens to be the new SSD space available at the new 2GB RAM SSD plan. I guess that it is just an erroneous information in the Client Area, and we will keep the HD space we had in our legacy plans. Despite it, it's great that this upgrade is being performed, since HDD performance at Winity was really degrading...

We have reduced it for the new plans. I'll fix the reporting on the client area soon. Yes, you'll keep your space as is on the new nodes.

Thanked by 1ccarita
  • ATHKATHK Member

1 day? bit quick don't you think?

Any sane person would want to take a fresh backup before you do this move.

• @ATHK said:
    1 day? bit quick don't you think?

Any sane person would want to take a fresh backup before you do this move.

We have been working on the migration for more than a week now. Everything is configured, just will need a node reboot. I'm not sure how giving more time to do it would change a thing.

There is no way to do "fresh" backup of the VM's due to their size. A full backup would take around 3-4 days at best, an incremental after that would take at least another day. And this would make the VMs practically unusable during the backups since the load of the disks would greatly increase.

• @serverian said:

Out of curiosity, will it be pure SSD or just SSD Cached? I noticed on your website it says SSD Cached, didn't know if your plans already reflect this change or not.

• @skybucks100 said:
    Out of curiosity, will it be pure SSD or just SSD Cached? I noticed on your website it says SSD Cached, didn't know if your plans already reflect this change or not.

Old nodes are SSD cached. New ones are full SSD. We are deploying new VPS on SSD already for the last week.

Thanked by 1skybucks100
  • rds100rds100 Member

Sounds like massive amounts of huge SSDs. Nice.

• emilvemilv Member

Is Winity still available in the UK?

• @emilv said:
    Is Winity still available in the UK?

It is.

• emilvemilv Member

The UK location going to get SSD's as well then?

• @emilv said:
    The UK location going to get SSD's as well then?

Yes. Besides, all the new orders are getting provisioned on the SSD nodes already.

Thanked by 1emilv
  • ReeRee Member

Argh. Just two days ago I finished migrating all my stuff off Winity to a dedi because I was finding the I/O too slow. #FML

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @serverian said:

what's the new storage space of each plan on the new node?

• @wcypierre said:

40GB, 75GB, 100GB as seen on our website.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

But you promised brutal performance... ;)

(Before anyone freaks out - it's called a joke. @serverian and I go back and forth on IRC.)

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • wychwych Member

Looking forward to the move.

Something quick just gets faster!

• @serverian said:
    40GB, 75GB, 100GB as seen on our website.

ah okay. So it has already been changed. Any benchmarks? I believe that many are interested on that :)

• @Ree said:
    Argh. Just two days ago I finished migrating all my stuff off Winity to a dedi because I was finding the I/O too slow. #FML

Same :(

• KensaiKensai Member

Looks like the migration schedule did not go as planned, as probably there are a lot of people like me that got a 4+ hours downtime for nothing.

Just 15 minutes ago, after asking why things are slow as hell, I was notified that I was not migrated and will probably be migrated by tomorrow.

Lets hope that this is a one time incident and not the "normal" way that Winity works.

For the record, current disk IOs are at around 70-80 and Read speed on the disk is at 1-2 MBs. Average Access time on random disk seeks is around 10 seconds.

Waiting for the migration, will come back with more comments on that as this progresses.

• @Kensai, slow disk speeds is due to migration. Everything should turn back to normal in 24 hours or less.

The downtime caused because almost all of the VMs were set up to install windows updates automatically but our customers never rebooted them. And with this node reboots it caused all of them to install windows updates at the same time. This is causing major load on the disks and slowed everything down as you notice.

Also, when people didn't see this VM online, they rebooted their VM while the windows update was going on. This is causing us lots of mantime to manually fix them. That's why we have disabled the power buttons on the client area. We are manually checking all the VMs one after another and fixing them.

Almost half of the VMs are migrated to the new servers. The rest is still migrating. As I said, everything should go back to normal soon.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

• Just an update. Orlando and UK VMs are migrated to the new SSD nodes. You should notice the dramatic increase in the IO performance.

We haven't started with Los Angeles location, yet. We are going to follow a different method on this one which would decrease the downtime needed greatly. That should be completed this week as well.

• c0yc0y Member

@serverian said:
    Just an update. Orlando and UK VMs are migrated to the new SSD nodes. You should notice the dramatic increase in the IO performance.

We haven't started with Los Angeles location, yet. We are going to follow a different method on this one which would decrease the downtime needed greatly. That should be completed this week as well.

Thanked by 2serverian Makenai
  • wychwych Member

@serverian said:
    Just an update. Orlando and UK VMs are migrated to the new SSD nodes.

Cheers mate!

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

@wych said:
    Cheers mate!

Ordered one, benchmarks will be up later today.

• wychwych Member

@rmlhhd said:

:)

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited June 2014

For @wych and other that are interested. Just got the 2GB Winity Plan in the UK

Don't worry @serverian I've only done it once, I'm not trying to kill your IO.

• wychwych Member

Nice to see some numbers ;)

• NavynNavyn Member

nice ...