Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions for "free" Secondary DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestions for "free" Secondary DNS

klikliklikli Member
edited May 2012 in General

Has anyone ever used BuddyNS and MyBind? What's your experience with them?
Or, are there any "better" alternatives out there excluding HE's DNS?

Comments

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Softlayer and Rackspace have free DNS services available

• 1984hosting.com also has free DNS Service.

• nabonabo Member
    edited May 2012
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2012

@klikli said: excluding HE's DNS

Why?

• klikliklikli Member

@rm_ said: Why?

Because I'm already using it. :P

• efballefball Member

List of free secondary DNS providers: http://efball.com/dns/

Puck and BuddyNS both work well.

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited May 2012

@nabo said: http://freedns.afraid.org (My choice since more than 8 years)

I love it. I just hate that it makes you "share" it... nothing's perfect, I s'pose.

• flyfly Member

he dns is great.

• nabonabo Member

@DimeCadmium said: I love it. I just hate that it makes you "share" it... nothing's perfect, I s'pose.

Well you can stealth it or mark it as private. First is for supporters and second for everybody I guess.

• @nabo said: Well you can stealth it or mark it as private. First is for supporters and second for everybody I guess.

Correct, but you're "not allowed" to use private marking to deny sharing. That is, even if it's private, you have to have a reason to deny subdomains other than "I don't want others using it!!!11"

• nabonabo Member

@DimeCadmium said: Correct, but you're "not allowed" to use private marking to deny sharing. That is, even if it's private, you have to have a reason to deny subdomains other than "I don't want others using it!!!11"

That might be right, but that's only applicable to the primary DNS. If you just use afraid.org for secondary DNS there's nothing they can force you to do. :-)

• Can someone tell me how to setup a secondary DNS? I am currently using internet.bs's name servers but i'd like to have some sort of backup since i've already experienced 2 downtimes with them.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Can someone tell me how to setup a secondary DNS?

The basic: set up a second NS with the same records as the primary, get an address for each server (ns1.domain.tld, ns2.domain.tld or whatever) and put them in primary then secondary.

Most NS software have an option to automatically every x seconds sync from another in some way, but that depends on the software you're using.

• using cloudns.net here.

• @DimeCadmium said: The basic: set up a second NS with the same records as the primary, get an address for each server (ns1.domain.tld, ns2.domain.tld or whatever) and put them in primary then secondary.

Well i'm using internet.bs's nameserver+webinterface to manage my domains, so i can't really play around with config files. I know that just copying all records over to a 2nd DNS hoster and adding it to my NS records would work, but manually copying records is rather crappy.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Well i'm using internet.bs's nameserver+webinterface to manage my domains, so i can't really play around with config files.

They might allow AXFR (full zone transfers). I doubt it though. do this:

dig yourdomain.tld AXFR

Obviously, replace yourdomain.tld ... it'll either say something along the lines of "transfer failed" (meaning they don't allow it and the only way is to get them to exempt your IP, or do it manually), or it'll dump out the contents of the yourdomain.tld zone.

• @DimeCadmium said: They might allow AXFR (full zone transfers).

Thanks, but it seems to be disabled. I've asked the support though as i've already had very pleasent experinces with them, maybe they'll enable it.
    So if they don't the only way is to manually copy all my records?

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited May 2012

As far as I can think? Yes.

Or else transfer completely away from their NS and use your own, or some other DNS provider's.

• For anyone interested:

@gsrdgrdghd said: I've asked the support though as i've already had very pleasent experinces with them, maybe they'll enable it.

Dear xxx,

This feature is not officially supported so we offer no guarantees. At the moment AXFR is enabled on our nameservers but whenever you make change to the dns records on our website the nameservers will get reset to ours (removing any third party nameservers you might have added). Also the AXFR might get disabled at any time without notice and it might cause you issues then.

Taking in consideration the above you are free to try it at your own risk but just make sure to add the slave nameservers back after you make changes in the DNS management page on our website.

I'll see if i can get it working when i get home :)

• Give a try to http://system-ns.com ) we just launched it and will appreciate any feedback )

• @kili

We run BuddyNS and work day and night to make it the best secondary DNS service around. There's lots of DNS hosting companies around: we focus on secondary and believe our user experience is unparalleled.

I see lots of users recommending providers they are using, but I see none actually responding the initial question.

If any of you folks actually checks out our service, please share your feedback. If you find points that can be improved, let us know. Most of our users want to "get it working and move on with their lives" — so this is a good chance for public feedback.

cheers
    Michele

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited April 2013

dns.he.net has been good for everyone? It's still free and beta.

• DieselDiesel Member
    edited April 2013

I had some sites on freedns.afraid.org and one day they dumped me out of nowhere claiming I was abusing the service. It was fully automated, I tried to contact them and not a single f**k was given. Wasn't any abusing there either, just DNS for a few sites that probably don't get much requests anyway (were websites of local non-profits). I was quite pissed that day, and had to rearrange a lot of nameservers. Something being free shouldn't mean that they'll dump you without a notice beforehand. So I don't advise afraid.org although a lot of people here speaks for them. Also, this incident happened long time ago (=was not recent)... I can't trust any DNS services since this, and haven't been able to use any since I'm now afraid(.org) to do so. I only use namecheap.com DNS with my domains with them. You can use this service with 3rd party domains also. (If I'm not completely mistaken)

• Cloudflare? Pointhq?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@nabo said: http://freedns.afraid.org (My choice since more than 8 years)

Same here, I used including for business. I am sorry other people have been dumped but i had between 1 and 20 domains all the time and never had a problem, even with high traffic sites.

• @nabo said: freedns.afraid.org

+1
    used quite a while back then
    but now i'll just go with cloudflare
    simpler ~

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

You can always switch to Rage4 DNS ;)

Thanked by 1Andri
  • The question for a good service is not if/when they dump you or not. The question is, the time you have any kind of problem what happens to your support ticket. Everybody fails, you see the stature by the willingness to acknowledge and fix.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

@michelem said: willingness to acknowledge and fix

...Acknowledge probably being the hardest part. It seems to be very hard especially for bigger organizations to admit they messed up.