Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone every successfully merged two separate ownCloud installs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has anyone every successfully merged two separate ownCloud installs?

NekkiNekki Veteran

I'm seriously considering this, merging my public ownCloud on a VPS with my private one on a dedi.

There's no account, or directory crossover between the two installs, so I'm considering trying to rsync the folders and let the DB populate itself as I don't need version history and the like.

Anyone tried and succeeded doing anything like this? Alternatively, anyone see a reason why it won't work?

Comments

1. Stop ownCloud.

2. rsync files.

3. Start ownCloud.

4. Wait.

5. Enjoy.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@albertdb said:
    1. Stop ownCloud.

1. rsync files.

2. Start ownCloud.

3. Wait.

4. Enjoy.

Whilst I appreciate the comment, that doesn't tell me if you've successfully pulled this off or not?

• I've done it once and it worked. It's like importing new files.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@albertdb said:
    I've done it once and it worked. It's like importing new files.

The import I'm pretty comfortable with, it's the merge of user accounts, permissions and passwords that scares me slightly.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

I mean, if it fails you can just try it again, right? If it's something critical then do a test run first

Thanked by 1netomx
  • petrispetris Member

@Nekki said:
    I'm seriously considering this, merging my public ownCloud on a VPS with my private one on a dedi.

There's no account, or directory crossover between the two installs, so I'm considering trying to rsync the folders and let the DB populate itself as I don't need version history and the like.

Anyone tried and succeeded doing anything like this? Alternatively, anyone see a reason why it won't work?

I've added files to the server directly without going through the owncloud interface and the files showed up immediately. So, it should work.

• ivanhivanh Member
    edited June 2014

I've done this a few times:

create a new user on the new install

copy ./owncloud/data/username/files/* to the new isntance

Haven't ran into any issues yet, I've also got an owncloud user sync'd across a couple of owncloud instances via bittorrent sync. Everything is a-okay.