Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD VPS Difference
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD VPS Difference

n1kkon1kko Member

Would I be better with an SSD VPS for hosting sites with cPanel or would it not make much difference?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Yeah.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2014

Your privider do a backup of all VPSes in the node.

SSD -> Nothing happens, all is Ok

HDD -> All goes slow in all VPSes

I'm a bit ironic, but in general terms, this is the main thing btw SSD and HDD.

Same when you run your own backups...

(compression, reading & writting at same time in same disk unit -> performance kill)

• unless you are running a heavy website with databases pulling up 1000 requests at a time, SSD is just an overkill

• wychwych Member

Your database queries and file fetches will be faster, depending on your site and the current load of your existing server.

• @zionvps said:
    unless you are running a heavy website with databases pulling up 1000 requests at a time, SSD is just an overkill

There is no 'set point' that determines when SSD becomes useful.

The point at which it becomes useful is when the underlying drives can no longer keep up with the reads/writes you are requesting. It's largely dependent on the node's load . . . SSD could be useful at 1000 req/sec or 10 req/sec.

• @Microlinux said:

That's what i am trying to justify. many people just want to buy ssd because it is just 'superior' . if you run a mirror website, a static website, or heck even a dynamic with little load, the magnetic hdd will perform atleast 90% of the speed of ssd. and the end result, which is the viewers on your website, won't even notice.
    by those number i meant to say that ssd is useful if you are doing tasks that require very high read speeds (and simultaneous too)

• wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

Times are changing though.

Why buy a big HDD based hosting space that is 90% (your figure) of the speed you can get and has free unused space vs a smaller 100% speed instance?

Smart people have both - SSD for speed intensive things, HDD for massive file storage etc ;)

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @zionvps said:
    by those number i meant to say that ssd is useful if you are doing tasks that require very high read speeds (and simultaneous too)

In shared environment, it's less about what speed you need than what is available. SSDs make much more speed available.

It doesn't matter whether your application needs 50 IOPs or 5000 IOPs if only 10 IOPs are available.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@zionvps if you only need 1 GB disk then HD is useless. SSD useless, HD useless, I guess we just store disk in RAM hm?