Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel login not self signed cert?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel login not self signed cert?

SpencerSpencer Member
edited May 2012 in Help

I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to the cpanel login area not have a self signed SSL? I have an extra namecheap $1.99 SSL laying around and I was wondering if it would be possible to use it for that? Im tired of all those tickets saying why does Chrome give me a warning and such. Anybody know of an easy way? Would I just modify the vHost to take a non self signed SSL?
Thanks

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Just go to "Manage Service SSL Certificates" and click "Install new Certificate" next to cpanel.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Namecheap's certs do not work directly with cPanel.. This is what I got told from their support, as I wanted to install one as well.

• beardbeard Member

@PytoHost said: Im tired of all those tickets saying why does Chrome give me a warning and such.

Make a big business investment of $14.99 for RapidSSL

Thanked by 1klikli

@LiquidHost said: Namecheap's certs do not work directly with cPanel..

Don't tell that to https://cpanel.securedragon.net:2083 or it might stop working...

• @KuJoe said: Don't tell that to https://cpanel.securedragon.net:2083 or it might stop working...

Wait? I thought cPanel was more ugly then that.

• @beard said: Make a big business investment of $14.99 for RapidSSL

Such a big investment, might have to take a loan you know.

@beard said: Make a big business investment of $14.99 for RapidSSL

I pay $10.95 @ Namecheap (slowly switching over from PositiveSSL as they expire).

edited May 2012

@Daniel said: Wait? I thought cPanel was more ugly then that.

It used to be, their newer versions got a redesign which caused some login issues with my clients for a while so I can see why some hosts might be sticking with the "ugly" version.

• @KuJoe said: It used to be, their newer versions got a redesign which caused some login issues with my clients for a while so I can see why some hosts might be sticking with the "ugly" version.

Has the login screen just changed? Or have they actually made their control panel look less like it was made in the 1990s.

@Daniel said: Has the login screen just changed?

Just the login from what I can tell, unless they added a new theme I don't know about (I still use x3 or whatever).

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@KuJoe said: Just the login from what I can tell, unless they added a new theme I don't know about (I still use x3 or whatever).

I really liked the BlueRoy theme, but they seemed to of killed that.

• klikliklikli Member

@KuJoe said: (slowly switching over from PositiveSSL as they expire).

Why are you leaving Comodo/PositiveSSL?

@KuJoe said: Don't tell that to https://cpanel.securedragon.net:2083 or it might stop working...

Actually I think it was my mistake. I wanted to install it on the IP directly as I aws told tha tit can be done. After asking Namecheap they told me that it was not supported by their system (or the cert I was using, was one of the cheap once).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Get a Comodo EV SSL and spend the next week crying.

I'm not bitter I swear. They could've bought me dinner first.

• klikliklikli Member

@LiquidHost said: Actually I think it was my mistake. I wanted to install it on the IP directly as I aws told tha tit can be done. After asking Namecheap they told me that it was not supported by their system (or the cert I was using, was one of the cheap once).

I believe they think you are looking for SSL Certificates issued to a public IP. Namecheap does not offer that type of certificate currently, but you may search for other resellers/CA selling that type of certificate. In fact, (I'm not really sure about this), if you place your order with Comodo directly they accept using Public IP as the CN of CSR. However, the validation requires your email to appear on the WHOIS.

@jarland said: Get a Comodo EV SSL and spend the next week crying.

I'm not bitter I swear. They could've bought me dinner first.

They refused to use the freely-available company search of my government's website and instead, asked me to pay for validation from D&B:/

BTW, you could just purchase a PositiveSSL from any resellers (except NC) and take advantage of the free EV upgrade offer;)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@KuJoe said: Just go to "Manage Service SSL Certificates" and click "Install new Certificate" next to cpanel.

Did you mean Main >> Service Configuration >> Manage Service SSL Certificates ?

But yeah, you can take a wildcard or server specific cert and install it for all the server services (exim, dovecot, pure-ftpd.... )

@klikli said: Why are you leaving Comodo/PositiveSSL?

It saves me a few bucks a year and the validation process is instant versus waiting a few hours to setup my SSL (last time I reissued a PositiveSSL because of an IP change it took almost a whole day for them to validate it so my SSL was broke during that time, not a big deal but if I can save a dollar and get instant setup then why not?). :)

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

@KuJoe said: It used to be, their newer versions got a redesign which caused some login issues with my clients for a while

Theres a setting somewhere to allow for "autocomplete" for those who use a password management service... but that may not be the problemo you are referring to.

• rds100rds100 Member

@KuJoe why would you need to reissue a SSL cert when you change the IP, the IP is not part of the cert.

@rds100 said: why would you need to reissue a SSL cert when you change the IP, the IP is not part of the cert.

It isnt? Lol, I always reissued my SSL's when switching IPs. I have thought that they are bound both to the domain and the IP. Could have saved me alot of time..

@rds100 I think you are correct, maybe it was when I switched domains. I forget off hand why I had to reissue the SSL now but I do see a "reissue" log in Namecheap so I assumed it was when we switch DCs (i.e. IPs).

• specklspeckl Member

If you switch ips, your SSL cert will still work for the domain. SSL is attached to the domain not the IP.

• The reason SSL requires a dedicated IP is because the SSL layer is passed before the HTTP layer. So the web server does not know what domain certificate to pass to the client, so it relies on the IP to know what domain it is for.

@speckl said: If you switch ips, your SSL cert will still work for the domain. SSL is attached to the domain not the IP.

That's probably what it was then. I put our WHMCS install on a subdomain which would require the reissue. Now that I'm awake it makes sense. :)

• @Daniel said: Has the login screen just changed?

Yes, a while back (summer of 2011). Not an incredible change though.

• specklspeckl Member

@Daniel thats the first time I've ever heard of that. You may want to reassess your statement.

• @Daniel said: The reason SSL requires a dedicated IP is because the SSL layer is passed before the HTTP layer. So the web server does not know what domain certificate to pass to the client, so it relies on the IP to know what domain it is for.

That has nothing to do with the certificate though, it only has to do with the HTTP server.

• qhosterqhoster Member

Use StartCom Free SSL to secure WHM and cPanel ...

• FreekFreek Member

@qhoster you need to re-validate your domain every 30 days? I just tried signing up for a certificate and it's a pain in the ass.

• NightNight Member

@Freek Wait, you have to verify our domain monthly? My cert still works fine after 4 months.