Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online backup services
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online backup services

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
edited May 2012 in General

Curious, do you guys use any online backup services to keep your personal data on? I noticed @raindog308 mention it in his password thread, and it got the brain stirring (it's firing at random moments today). What do you use and what would you recommend to others?

Comments

• SpencerSpencer Member

I use amazon S3. I don't use that much space so I usually only pay about 50 cents a month or so.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I use rackspace for personal backups... Not sure how much I pay though, cause I use other services as well and got invoiced as a whole

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

IDrive, 15 giba free and nice app which runs on Windows Server

• RaymiiRaymii Member

I'm using Wuala... Have used spiderOak, both paid. I'm in doubt if I'll switch to google drive, it's a lot cheaper. No encryption, but I've written a solution for that, (all cloud services): http://raymii.org/cms/p_Encryption_on_every_cloud_service

Thanked by 1jar
  • I put it on Dropbox, got 30GB of storage on there.

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

Home NAS
    Unlimited GB crashplan+ for my stuff
    5GB google drive for shit I just want to transfer to another computer
    10GB dropbox for stuff I want to share out to others.

• I use
    one 500GB BuyVM Storage
    one150GB Hostigation Backup VPS
    one 30GB Hostigation Backup VPS
    one 160GB Web-Wide-Hosting Backup VPS
    and recently added a SW RAID1 3TB home fileserver.

• wickawicka Member

GoDaddy online storage seem really cheap with FTP upload, but with 1GB file size limit.
    $2.49/month need to pay a year for 100GB.
    Good backup choice for server?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Synology FTW! :)

• daviddavid Member

I just use alternate VPS's for backup storage. You've got more than one, right?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2012

Everything starts to look so expensive toward the 1TB range. I've got about 600GB of footage I'd like to archive remotely. I'm tired of multiple external hard drives for backing up stuff I may need within the next year but have no use for today. I guess I understand, just holding out for storage to keep dropping in cost.

• rds100rds100 Member

@jarland so what looks like a reasonable price to you for 1TB of external storage?

• daviddavid Member

Sorry, for some reason I skipped over the "personal data" part. I backup my VPS to alternate VPS's, but for my personal data at home, I just run daily backups to an external USB hard drive.

For longer term storage that isn't going to be updated, I've also started archiving stuff to BD-R. Each one will hold about 23.3GB. A spindle of 50 should back up 1TB and then some. The question is reliability over the long-term.

• DeorDeor Member

I use dropbox, got 8.8 gig of space at the moment after various referrals and offers over the last couple of years.

• my problem with cheapvps or storage/backup server is most of the time the data is not redundant. cheapest is still windows skydrive... im not paying for anything yet

• I use near-realtime running backups to my NAS, nightly incremental + weekly full offsite to one of my servers.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@rds100 I guess somewhere around $20-$30/m would probably be my end goal.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

At home I use:

• tarsnap, for my PasswordSafe backups. It's mostly a cryptographic/rsync interface to S3.
    • crashplan for everything else at home
    • Dropbox for some always-handy things, current projects, iOS access, etc.
    • Windows SkyDrive for some long term duplicate archives

My main limitation is my uplink.

I've considered doing this:

• creating an on-demand Amazon EC2 Micro instance
    • starting it remotely and using it as an rsync front end for EBS, snapshotted to S3

To reserve a static IP is $1/hour if you're not using it, which can make this expensive...however, I think you can do some kind of IP discovery through their API.

There is a company called s3rsync but their pricing is ridiculous.

Local Backup:

I have a box and drives ready to build a local backup box but I haven't been able to mentally justify the power. My 1TB ReadyNAS died after many years of loyal service (I had the original SPARC-based model).

For VPSes:

• SecureDragon backup
    • Hostigation backup
    • additionally, Amazon S3 for customer-related stuff

I'm playing with additionally backing up to Windows Azure, only because I get a ton of free space with MSDN...the Linux command-line interface is, not surprisingly, kind of weak, but there are perl, python, etc. modules for it.

• rds100rds100 Member

@jarland i guess a kimsufi 2G would work fine for you then. No RAID though, but get two similar small servers in two different places and you get geographical diversity - even better than RAID.

Thanked by 1jar
  • specklspeckl Member

I've used strongspace.com for a few years now and have no complaints. Just use them to upload my dev folders to that I MAY need to share with someone else. All other files go on my server in Ashburn.