Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Monitoring
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Monitoring

necsnecs Member
edited May 2012 in General

Has anyone used nodeping.com. We signed up for a trial to monitor our servers.... up to now it seems ok, We have tried a few others including pingdom which is 4 times the price of nodeping. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Comments

• AldryicAldryic Member

Pick up a few LEBs in various locations, and create a monitoring network using @NickM's OpenStatus.

• vmhostsvmhosts Member

we have used R-U-ON in the past

• joshuatlyjoshuatly Member
    edited May 2012
    Expand: Pick up a few LEBs in various locations, and create a monitoring network using @NickM's OpenStatus.

nice recommendation!

• seikanseikan Member

I'm using Pingdom and UptimeRobot (free).

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

UptimeRobot is nice but they provide only last 24h history and do not support IPv6.
    Site24x7 is also nice

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

I use monitis, but OpenStatus looks promising. The only thing I see it missing really is using multiple pollers to reduce false alerts.

• necsnecs Member

We tried uptime robot, but im sure when you monitor it constantly in a web browser it did not auto refresh.....?

• necsnecs Member

I have also heard @NickM's OpenStatus hammers the drives?

• AldryicAldryic Member

@necs said: I have also heard @NickM's OpenStatus hammers the drives?

If it does, it managed to slip under my nose. I've seen no such abuse from 3 servers and 15+ clients.

• necsnecs Member

fair dues....

• necsnecs Member

Hey miTgiB, looking into Centreon now, it looks pretty comprehensive. Have you used it yourself?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2012

I have seen a number of instances where by OpenStatus hammers disk IO R+W, I am not 100% familiar with it so cant give you the exact cause, perhaps the number of monitors/updates/polling intervals had stn do do with it.

From memory it was generating around 2 - 3000 R+W Operations p/minute

• We use a combination of Pingdom (for public-facing offsite stats) and distributed Nagios for internal monitoring.

• FreekFreek Member

What server monitoring service would you guys recommend which also has public reports such as pingdom has?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Site24x7 (http://www.site24x7.com) but they are expensive

• RaymiiRaymii Member

I've had Openstatus running on a Xen VM at @AnthonySmith (inceptionhosting) monitoring about 8 servers and it was way bad on IO. But, that was also the case for Munin (monitoring the same servers)

• OpenStatus Server eats up load.. :(

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@necs said: looking into Centreon now, it looks pretty comprehensive. Have you used it yourself?

Yes, Centreon is a nice and simple front end for nagios which I have used since the mid-90's, so all these kids trying to re-invent the wheel, why?

• Now that I just got a 128mb buyvm vps (woo!) it's sole job is nagios to monitor everything. Then I'll use pingdom's first service monitored for free to monitor that buyvm so I'll know if something happens to it. Although I'm only watching like 3 or 4 servers

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Observium, Munin, and a custom script for internal monitoring. BinaryCanary.com for external monitoring (monitoring is accurate, alerting is not).

• ShamliShamli Member

I'm using OpenStatus,and I have modified it a bit so that I can clean up the database to last 24 hours,so it keeps around 4mb-7mb database file for 8 server rather than 100mb+. No high cpu nor memory nor io.