Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MySQL backups
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MySQL backups

AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
edited May 2012 in General

Hello, I willt ry to keep it short - a week or so ago, someone asked in here for a backup tool to backup mysql databases to remove server, but I can not seem to find it and I need it.

Here's the story - so I attempted to migrate my WHMCS server a week ago. Desided not to use any migration functions of our cPanel, did a bare install of the newest WHMCS and started importing the database. The new WHMCS was not recognising my database backups (gotten directly from my remote FTP backup server) - was giving some kind of error, whicha fter googling appeard to be some kind of database problemr elated to whmcs. So I thought something has gone wrong with the installation of the new WHMCS, did a reinstall - same thing has happened. Note that my old server had fully updated WHMCS (atleast according to my admin panel). So I had to manually dump the database through phpmyadmin and import it to get it working, if I recall correctly even had to use my old WHMCS files. So at this point I am no longer trusting WHMCS auto backup functions and I am keeping doing manual backups a couple of times a day, however I wanted that automatic script.. I had even bookmarked it as it seemed really nice, but I can't seem to find it anymore, even on LET.

It is a weird bug, as I have it fully updated. http://i.imgur.com/81rqK.png

Comments

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

I use this script for MySQL backups.

http://pastebin.com/acrdhCmd

Got it to drop them in my Dropbox.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

That 2 will do the trick. Thank you!

• AldryicAldryic Member

Was your old WHMCS the same version as the new install? Newer versions of WHMCS often contained slight changes to the DB, and trying to import the DB from an older version to a latest install would cause problems.

@Aldryic Yes, I am aware of that... This is why I even posted a screenshot at the end of my first post. It is fully updated, 5.0.3 .. The one that I installed. I belive that once an update is out, when we do the upgrade procedure on our old WHMCS, it would also alter the database to the new format.

• AldryicAldryic Member

Aaah, ok. I wasn't sure if the SS was the old install or the new :P

Does creating an SQLdump from the backup and importing directly into mySQL work?

@Aldryic said: Does creating an SQLdump from the backup and importing directly into mySQL work?

Yup, this is how I migrated... It is really weird and at this point I am not willing to open a ticket at whmcs.com everything that has happened the past week.. So this is why I will be doing dumps directly from mysql. :P

• AldryicAldryic Member

Hah. I can't say I blame you much. To be honest, I've always done backups with external scripts (as I like having redundant backups in multiple locations for us :P), so I'm not all that familiar with the built-in option. Dunno, the best guess I could make is possibly having to do with php.ini settings and file limits. -shrug-

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: I'm not all that familiar with the built-in option.

There is a built in option? Even if I knew it existed, which it does in solus, I wouldn't use it, I backup whmcs, solus, centreon, nagios, and cacti db's which all run on different servers, to a nas in LA and Charlotte, and then a copy is sent to my apartment daily as well, long live cron and rsync!

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

+1 on automysqlbackup, it's simple, does the job. That's how I like it.