Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you be interested in micro dedicated servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you be interested in micro dedicated servers?

BoxodeBoxode Member
edited June 2014 in General

Testing the water here.

Would you be interested in micro dedicated servers? This means a raspberry Pi as a dedicated server in a 99.999% uptime DC with quality peering. IPMI access & support.

Server specs -

1. 512MB memory
  2. 700 MHz Low Power ARM1176JZ-F CPU
  3. 10/100 Ethernet onboard card
  4. 4GB Flash memory (HDD space)

3 options -

1. Bring your own Raspberry Pi (discounted on monthly fee)
  2. Rent-to-own Raspberry Pi (higher fee monthly, ship hardware at the end of contract)
  3. Month-to-month Raspberry Pi (pay month-to-month)

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

Only if an external HDD was available too.

• Which model of Pi? The 2013 Model B pis have GigE and 2x USB, + HDMI out and a lot of other fancy features, still only costing about $35 each and packing a punch for specially compiled software.

• CoreyCorey Member

My raspberry pi gets pretty hot, REVB. I don't see how these things will last over a year running an OS and doing daily operations on them.

• cassacassa Member

@1e10 said:
    Only if an external HDD was available too.

This, I like the concept of a rbpi as a dedicated server, but I can't find a very good use for it...

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2014

GoodHosting said: he 2013 Model B pis have GigE

No. The ethernet is 100Mbps, it's running through a usb-to-ethernet chip even.

@viCommunications it seems people are interested in these mostly if they are free.

• said: Bring your own Raspberry Pi (discounted on monthly fee)

So you're offering raspberry Pi colocation?

• sc754sc754 Member

@viCommunications said:
    Testing the water here.

Would you be interested in micro dedicated servers? This means a raspberry Pi as a dedicated server in a 99.999% uptime DC with quality peering. IPMI access & support.

Server specs -

1. 512MB memory
    2. 700 MHz Low Power ARM1176JZ-F CPU
    3. 10/100 Ethernet onboard card
    4. 4GB Flash memory (HDD space)

3 options -

1. Bring your own Raspberry Pi (discounted on monthly fee)
    2. Rent-to-own Raspberry Pi (higher fee monthly, ship hardware at the end of contract)
    3. Month-to-month Raspberry Pi (pay month-to-month)

How about something a little better than the pi. How about the rk3188? XD

• StevieStevie Member
    edited June 2014

@viCommunications

I been waiting for this, but sadly all providers charge $10 - $20 for this and considering you can get a atom for $5 a month paid yearly, i rather get the atom server.

If it was $3-$4 a month i would most likely do it for that price.

If you argue that the atom YOU HAVE TO PAY YEARLY well that is somewhat of a problem but I can get a better ARM then the Pi at mininodes with better specs for $10 a month :-)

///// EDIT

Sorry if the above sounds a bit rude, I know you did not release pricing, but just giving a heads up is all.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2014

@1e10 BananaPI has SATA ports :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Is this plan in association with LowEND in someway?

• Edis.at offer free Raspberry Pi Colocation in Austria (you ship your Pie to them).

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Nekki said:
    Is this plan in association with LowEND in someway?

They need to fill their 1000 U of unused space :P

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2014

1) Raspberry Pi sucks, stop being so fixated on it, there's tons of better boards now, and they are not much more expensive, e.g. the Beaglebone Black for $45, Cubieboard for around $50, Odroid U3 (1.7GHz Quad-Core processor and 2GB RAM!) for $65. So starting from about $10 more you literally get five to ten times the CPU performance.

2) Regardless of the above, you're probably thinking of attempting a price point where OVH's 5 EUR Atom, or heck, even online.net's 10 EUR dedi, or digicube's 8-10 EUR ones, will utterly destroy whatever you'll come up with, in price, price-to-performance, and price to overall value considering those provide hundreds of GB of storage and unmetered bandwidth. Be realistic, while buzzwords alone ("wooo ARM servers! wooo Raspberry Pi") may attract a few clueless people, they don't magically make a low-spec and overpriced offer competitive with already established ones, including those I just named.

• rds100rds100 Member

@rm_ the good thing about the Raspberry Pi is that some people have some romantic / nostalgic feelings for it, and there is a big community behind it that makes it so loved. Otherwise i agree - the performance per dollar of the Raspberry Pi is not good and it's not worth, for a little more money you can get much better hardware (even Intel one). That's why we don't intend to stock more Raspberry Pi servers, when the current stock is over it's over.

• @Corey said:
    My raspberry pi gets pretty hot, REVB. I don't see how these things will last over a year running an OS and doing daily operations on them.

It's designed to run hot!

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited June 2014

The Raspberry Pi is hardly designed to run as a dedicated server. Sure, colocation is possible and it's being done, but there is no way a RPi can be as reliable as a true dedicated server.

The hardware and the form respectively cause the RPi to be fairly slow - CPU, RAM & HDD-wise - and to run at a high temperature, which degrades the components when they are running over a long period of time (i.e. 24/7 for months). It's worth a shot, but I'd honestly expect a RPi to give up after a few months in those conditions.

The only advantage I can see to having a RPi as a dedicated server is the dedicated 100Mbps port. But even then, more reliable Kimsufi servers can be rented for, I assume, cheaper than what a colocated RPi would cost.

• LowENDLowEND Member

Be aware of viCommunications. Full of bullshit.

• rds100rds100 Member

@iceTwy actually we don't have any dead Raspberry Pis yet, and i've talked to @William about their Raspbery Pi colocation where they have hundreds of Pis and they don't fail all that often.
    It's like 5 watts total, doesn't put out all that much heat. And a little airflow helps a lot.

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

@rds100 said:
    iceTwy actually we don't have any dead Raspberry Pis yet, and i've talked to William about their Raspbery Pi colocation where they have hundreds of Pis and they don't fail all that often.
    It's like 5 watts total, doesn't put out all that much heat. And a little airflow helps a lot.

Ah, good to hear then - my mistake! But I'd still be interested in knowing the average lifespan of a colocated RPi in that case.

• @LowEND said:
    Be aware of viCommunications. Full of bullshit.

You probably aren't hoping your case by trying to get back at him by doing this.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • rds100rds100 Member

@iceTwy ask @William maybe he can give you some statistics. They have a lot colocated, and for a long time too.

• I like the idea. I even more like NAT IPV4+IPV6, with SAN storage options.

• It seems Edis has not been accepting any new Pi's for the last months...

• CoreyCorey Member

I would be happy to accept some PI's to colocate for $10/yr in the Dallas TX area.

• sc754sc754 Member

Better yet start offering these instead:

https://www.miniand.com/products/Radxa Rock Dev Board

XD

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Corey said:
    I would be happy to accept some PI's to colocate for $10/yr in the Dallas TX area.

Seems nice. Bandwidth?

• ZEROFZEROF Member

I got mail from my provider that i can get 100mbs link to my home with 8 ipv4 and ipv6/52 duplex. What you think, can I make my data center :). How many VPS servers can be in my stock in no time :)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2014

7 when using IPv4 without NAT. Small data center... ;)

By the way: Now that the OP is banned - Does it still make sense to post in this thread?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

rds100 said: the good thing about the Raspberry Pi is that some people have some romantic / nostalgic feelings for it,

Indeed, and I have those feeling for Zylog80, who is gonna colo it for me?

http://hackaday.com/2014/05/01/a-z80-retro-microcomputer-for-the-papilio-pro-fpga-board/