Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Checkout
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Checkout

subigosubigo Member
edited May 2012 in General

I used Google Checkout when it first came out and it was one of the most terrible experiences ever. I've bashed it a million times and said I would never use them again... but... after 8 years of having an account, 2checkout has decided they're going to charge me a monthly fee on top of their insane percentage (almost $500 in fees this year already).

I need something that users in India and Belarus won't have an issue with, which is the only reason I even have 2checkout at the moment. Give me all of your horror stories for Google Checkout if you have them. I can't believe I'm even considering them again.

Comments

• AsadAsad Member

No chargebacks or issues with them for me, only a small number of customers use it though.

• laaevlaaev Member

I would stay with 2Checkout ;)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Alertpay?

Francisco

• beardbeard Member

I've used Google Checkout as a customer and the experience was about on par with Paypal.

• subigosubigo Member

@Francisco said: Alertpay?

Francisco

I'm considering it, but I have to find out if a certain few clients will use it first. I know they have gmail accounts, which is the only reason I'm even thinking about Google Checkout.

Their fees have always been high, but it was worth it for me because they had the direct credit card checkout that didn't require an account (and they would process from countries that PayPal has issue with). But lately I've been getting late payments, checkout errors, and now a monthly fee... no thanks.

@subigo said: I'm considering it, but I have to find out if a certain few clients will use it first. I know they have gmail accounts, which is the only reason I'm even thinking about Google Checkout.

Far as I know alertpay & LR are the popular choices for India. What might help you is to find some Indian owned webhosts on WHT and see what options they take? They can't accept/use paypal, I know that.

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited May 2012

@Francisco said: They can't accept/use paypal, I know that.

I use resellerclub for domain names, and they do accept paypal, so I guess they are paying the right bribes convenience fees.

• subigosubigo Member

@Francisco said: What might help you is to find some Indian owned webhosts on WHT and see what options they take?

Good idea.

@miTgiB said: I use resellerclub for domain names, and they do accept paypal, so I guess they are paying the right bribes convince fees.

Or they have a US LLC accepting the paypal payments?

Francisco

• stripe.com for credit cards ...

We use stripe and paypal. Works perfectly.

• subigosubigo Member

@BassHost said: stripe.com for credit cards ...

We use stripe and paypal. Works perfectly.

I'm actually on their site now. I remember hearing about them last year, but totally forgot about them.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

Google Checkout is between 5-10% of my payments, never had a problem with it, but only accepted it for about a year.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

So I too started taking Google checkout and I have to say I like it a lot better than PayPal.

There seems to be a bit more trust with payments since you can actually view their account age of Google/Apps account and their gmail to match it up or send a verify email to the Google account.

I found that (rare for Google) it is fairly fast to get a response from the.

The fee seems to be as good or better than PayPal, though you cannot withdraw whenever you want. Payments are sent 2 days after the charge and there is no held funds.

Chargebacks: I have only had 1 via Google and it was a good experience, other than 2CO they take a active role in the case and work to reverse it with the issuer. (I won my case)

Growth I think is imminent. Taking into consideration the huge impact of Android devices a lot of people are starting to have their payment information with Google, and of course most people stay signed into the account which makes it more of a convenience for the buyer.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

Never had a problem with them. No disputes, charge-backs, or fraudulent orders. I wish more users would use Google Checkout, I would drop Paypal in a heartbeat.

My favorite part about Google Checkout (displays for each buyer): image

• vps6netvps6net Member

Google Checkout typically isn't easy to use for those outside of North America and Western Europe, at least from what I've seen. A large majority of our clients from outside of these areas use AlertPay and Liberty Reserve (neither of which I have any complaints about), if not PayPal or Visa/MC, and to a lesser extent gateways like WebMoney (Eastern Europe/Russia) and CashU (Middle East).

If you want maximum coverage for Indian users in particular, you'll need to accept transfers from Indian banks and bank cards. The following are the most popular Indian bank processors that are easily available to North American/European companies, though if I remember correctly an Indian bank account is required to open an account:

http://www.ebs.in/
    http://www.ccavenue.com/

Your Belarusian users will more than likely be able to use WebMoney with ease.

As for Google Checkout, I can't really think of anything to complain about -- their payment verification seems to err on the safe side, ACH is quick and processed multiple times weekly, fees are relatively low.

• laaevlaaev Member

@vps6net

Your attention is needed here http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2797/vps6whmcsdan-fry/p1

Why are you replying here but not there? This is a serious concern.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

@vps6net said: ACH is quick

+1 I do seem to get the funds actually in and cleared faster than PayPal.

• I love Google Checkout and will use always use it over PayPal, but since my account is in GBP I can't sell in USD through i.

Its changing name to Google Wallet.

• subigosubigo Member

@BassHost said: stripe.com for credit cards ...

You were 100% right on this. I have no idea why Stripe isn't bigger. I should have been using them since day one. Goodbye 2checkout.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Maybe MoneyBookers?

• JacobJacob Member

Say what? A monthly fee, What?

@subigo said: charge me a monthly fee on top of their insane percentage (almost $500 in fees this year already).

• V7HostV7Host Member

@Daniel said: I love Google Checkout and will use always use it over PayPal, but since my account is in GBP I can't sell in USD through i.

Its changing name to Google Wallet.

If you are using WHMCS, you can add both currencies and then select GBP as the currency to convert to before processing.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited May 2012

https://gocardless.com/ seems similar to Stripe.com Completely different.
    It's basically a simplified bank transfer thingymebob. Looks nice though.

It may be UK only, but they charge 1% for the transaction fee, up to £2.
    So it's pretty damn cheap.

• necsnecs Member

Interesting, got half way through the 2co application and got annoyed at the fact it obviously was never intended to cater for merchants outside of the USA.

Will look in to stripe and paypal though, nice tip :)

• CoreyCorey Member

I like google checkout because it deposits money in our bank account automatically (paypal doesn't they hold our money). I think google checkout fees are less than paypal as well.

Recently we've been hit by some heavy fraud and we've had chargebacks in both paypal and google checkout because the people didn't initiate the order their cards and accounts were hacked. (before whmcs thing)

Maxmind fraud protection has only helped a little bit, fraud still gets through from time to time.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Wait, what? 2co are not charging me for monthly fee.. And never got any email for policy changes. They have ridiculously high fees. I am paying a couple of hundred monthly in fees.

• subigosubigo Member

@LiquidHost said: Wait, what? 2co are not charging me for monthly fee.. And never got any email for policy changes. They have ridiculously high fees. I am paying a couple of hundred monthly in fees.

They'll hit you with it soon. I have one of the oldest 2checkout accounts and still got it. Go look at their front page and you'll see the new monthly fee. It's being rolled out to everyone.

@subigo said: They'll hit you with it soon. I have one of the oldest 2checkout accounts and still got it. Go look at their front page and you'll see the new monthly fee. It's being rolled out to everyone.

https://www.2checkout.com/blog/getting-started/payoneer-fees-for-2checkout-accounts/

?

Fran