Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM announces SSD Hybrid storage on all OpenVZ nodes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM announces SSD Hybrid storage on all OpenVZ nodes

FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
edited May 2012 in Providers

Figured we'd give LowEndTalk the first announcement of our upcoming SSD hybrid deployment :) I don't want to write out a big multi paragraph deal so instead i'll do it as a Q/A setup:

Which nodes are getting this improvement?
All OpenVZ based nodes are getting this improvement within one month

Does this mean each VM is getting a small bit of SSD storage?
No. This cache is being put in place to improve all read operations on our nodes. Doing a single read of a file won't see an improvement on the initial pass but if you have a lot of small files, a busy SQL, a large eaccelerator/etc caching folder, you should see a very nice IOPs increase from 1000/iops -> 20,000 iops

How large is the cache?
Each node is getting a 60GB reads-only cache

Why not cache writes as well?
While possible, we don't want to endanger users data in the off chance that the SSD were to fail. By offloading much of our heavy read users to an SSD cache, our write speeds should improve greatly (more so than they already are)

Can't you just give each user a GB or two of SSD storage per VM?
No. The vast majority of our users would make no use of this small space on its own. Having the cache makes sure the node is vastly improved as a whole.

What brand SSD's are you using?
Samsung 830's.

Are KVM's getting this boost?
After next month, yes. This delay is due to the chassis having a lot less room and us likely having to fabricate some brackets.

Does this mean I can thrash on reads without getting suspended?
NO. This cache is being put in place more to make sure that when a user spikes heavy usage that the rest of a node doesn't feel it. This does not mean we're welcoming heavy abusers onto our nodes.

Do you plan to offer pure SSD based nodes soon?
Not at this time as prices on large SSD's is still too high and we'd have to either severely lower available storage or ramp prices. We find the SSD cache to be the most ideal route for us at this time.

STOCK?
Soon™

You're welcome to ask questions if you like :)

Francisco

Thanked by 2Aldryic eva2000

Comments

• @Francisco said: What brand SSD's are you using?

Samsung 830's.
    Very nice drives, fast and reliable.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Hahahaha with the TM on the soon

• premisopremiso Member
    edited May 2012

@Jack said: Any ETA?

"Soon" is the ETA. Hence why he put that answer there, in other words no there is not an ETA. It was added there, so this would not get hounded with "ETA" questions.

/me rollseyes

• AldryicAldryic Member

@Francisco said: Soon™

inb4franlied <_<

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2012

There is one actually.

This coming Monday, we'll make it formal once we know.

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Francisco said: SSD hybrid deployment

Is this the facebook developed caching? I know there is another out there, can't think of it, but both seem rather similar.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Yes, but will it blend?

• DiltDilt Member

The real question is will it stock?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: inb4franlied

Ah, but that is what gives me the severe mental malfunctions when @Francisco says soon, it's so open ended :P

Thanked by 1maxexcloo

@miTgiB said: Is this the facebook developed caching? I know there is another out there, can't think of it, but both seem rather similar.

One is based on the other, both have serious flaws that we've been able to trigger in our test bed :P I got a few 830 120G's onsite that we've been testing to see what's doable.

Francisco

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Dilt Well I know it'll sell ;)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Francisco said: we've been testing to see what's doable.

Seems the write's was were the trouble way laying, so your idea to forget about them is fantastic!

• Its good to have the feeling im getting something extra for free! :D

Thanked by 1netomx

@joshuatly said: Its good to have the feeling im getting something extra for free! :D

It's not a feeling, you are :3

Francisco

Thanked by 1joshuatly
    edited May 2012

@miTgiB said: Seems the write's was were the trouble way laying, so your idea to forget about them is fantastic!

You can cause severe corruption with a writeback cache on it. I made many things explode while using that over the last few weeks.

EDIT - One thing with the writeback cache is that if you have a strong enough array behind it, you'll end up hindering your performance even with an SSD doing the write cache. You can get an SSD that does '500MB/sec dd tests', but it's all compressed tests and the actual data tests will be crap. I did a lot of testing and found that the read IOP/s varies greatly between chipsets.

Francisco

• AsadAsad Member

We need a stock checker script with email/sms alerts :)

• AldryicAldryic Member

@AsadHaider said: We need a stock checker script with email/sms alerts :)

There's an Official Mailing List in our IRC channel. Just say ? oml for details :P

• AsadAsad Member

@Aldryic said: There's an Official Mailing List in our IRC channel. Just say ? oml for details :P

Nice try. I've heard things about your IRC channel.. no way in hell I'm going anywhere near it. :/

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nice.

@Francisco - are you going to add this to your SQL offload server, too?

• JTRJTR Member
    edited May 2012

Sounds cool!

On another note, are there currently any issues with whatever ddos filter is attached to the IP 209.141.39.35? Web and SSH isn't working all of a sudden, but I can SSH into my vps with the main IP without any issues... I don't want to bother you guys with opening up a ticket because this isn't urgent, but I am wondering if it's a problem on your side or mine. Never mind, my ISP is shit.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

So the better question is how are you doing it? Did you write your own system or is it just going into cache to add to the pool thats best described by linuxatemyram.com ??

• AldryicAldryic Member

@AsadHaider said: Nice try. I've heard things about your IRC channel.. no way in hell I'm going anywhere near it. :/

What things have you heard? O_o

Anyways, I'll play nice and save you the trip :P
    OpenVZ: http://eepurl.com/daaLk
    KVM: http://eepurl.com/eiriU

• DiltDilt Member

@AsadHaider said: Nice try. I've heard things about your IRC channel.. no way in hell I'm going anywhere near it. :/

My job here at Frantech is to run the IRC channel. Your words cut me. :(

• @AsadHaider said: Nice try. I've heard things about your IRC channel.. no way in hell I'm going anywhere near it. :/

anything wrong with the IRC? Im in it and dont find anything weird... or am i missing something "interesting"?

• AldryicAldryic Member

@BlueVM said: So the better question is how are you doing it?

Company Secret :3

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited May 2012

@Aldryic said: Company Secret :3

Well I might just have to buy one of those McVPS to see whats in the secret sauce... Should be pretty obvious after 20 minutes of poking around ;) - I'm just wondering about the power cost of adding 50 SSDs to your nodes I can just see BZ crying now.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@joshuatly said: Its good to have the feeling im getting something extra for free! :D

hahah second best quote from this thread.

Now, can we derail this thread? @Aldryic is the master of derailing

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@BlueVM said: Should be pretty obvious after 20 minutes of poking around ;)

If it not already obvious, let the men work..

• AldryicAldryic Member

@netomx said: Now, can we derail this thread? @Aldryic is the master of derailing

This buttered rum is fantastic.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@netomx said: Now, can we derail this thread?

Well I think centos rules, emacs stinks, Jesus loves you, and every red-blooded American should own a machine gun.