Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean vs Vultr
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean vs Vultr

I think we've come to the point where we need to have one of these threads.

Has Vultr's quality and infrastructure finally surpassed DigitalOcean?

Thanked by 1DaveA
DigitalOcean vs Vultr
  1. Which is better in your opinion?152 votes
    1. DigitalOcean
      47.37%
    2. Vultr (by Choopa)
      52.63%

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
  • GunterGunter Member

perennate said: iwstack

Is pretty awesome, but it's limited to just Italy which is a dealbreaker for me in this case.

• Poll alone is no good. It's just the fan clubs of each.

We need a side-by-side comparion of features, and performance.

• Vultr all the way.

• i run 6 droplets in vultr...worth every pennis.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@lelewku said:
    i run 6 droplets in vultr...worth every pennis.

LOL PENIS

• DH22DH22 Member

It really depends on the situation. If getting a lot of CPU for low cost is your top priority or you want the ability to use your own ISO/Windows, Vultr is better. Digital Ocean CPU's are slower and seem a little oversold. Still decent CPU power though.

Location also matters. Singapore (DO) is better for me than Japan (Vultr). UK (Vultr) is better for me than NL (both DO and Vultr, but DO has no UK). Vultr is in Australia while DO is not.

For non CPU intensive purposes requiring a west US or north east US location, I would mostly stick with Digital Ocean though especially if using snapshots (Vultr still beta). The ability to easily resize my droplet with DO is a great benefit for me. With Vultr you can only upgrade.

• Not used either, but don't DO give you free credits every time you do someting?

• hostnoob said: but don't DO give you free credits every time you do someting?

Yep. Still have something like $40 in credits - plus they have the $50 tutorials that I just got in.

I'm only going to use these cloud based server providers for development (so for a couple of hours). I like not paying for those hours at Digital Ocean (I also have $40 at AWS).

• AvonAvon Member

I prefer DigitalOcean because I don't have to fill out a verification form with my credit card info on it to unblock outbound SMTP. If it weren't for that then Vultr would have my vote.

Thanked by 1aolee
  • awsonawson Member

DigitalOcean > * >>> POWER GAP >>> Vultr

• *= over 9000? I believe thats the only thing greater than a power gap.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited June 2014

Many providers are trying to fool customers by calling their product "cloud" just because they got 10% of cloud features.

• awsonawson Member
    edited June 2014

@007shinobi said:
    *= over 9000? I believe thats the only thing greater than a power gap.

*= everything else

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited June 2014

@perennate said:
    iwstack

The comparison isn't fair, DO & Vultr are simple VPS while iwStack is true cloud!

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • All have good and bad, So I choose Vultr & DO :)

• Where is GVH on the poll?

• PwnerPwner Member

@serverian We wanted to be fair, otherwise it would be no contest.

• @Pwner said:
    serverian We wanted to be fair, otherwise it would be no contest.

lol, just teasing. I love you @GreenValueHost!

• DaveADaveA Member

yes please be fair, not everyone can untar the cloudstack package and run it on commodity hardware like iwstack. If you want "true cloud" they are definitely the way to go.

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • texteditortexteditor Member
    edited June 2014

DaveA said: yes please be fair, not everyone can untar the cloudstack package and run it on commodity hardware like iwstack. If you want "true cloud" they are definitely the way to go.

jesus christ, nice passive agressiveness, dropping little sarcastic shots like that

They are using an actual SAN, you know

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Vultr has own iso and better locations, also seems to be cheaper at times, but DO is free, so, on LET, they got my vote.

• I love you too, Oktay.

• SunnSunn Member

@serverian - You are a honorary "troll" my good man.

Thanked by 1neqste
  • FredQcFredQc Member

@serverian said:
    Where is GVH on the poll?

• aoleeaolee Member
    edited June 2014

i love them both. they never gave me too much headache. but have to choose one... DO since it's the first of the two choices.

• aoleeaolee Member

@Avon said:
    I prefer DigitalOcean because I don't have to fill out a verification form with my credit card info on it to unblock outbound SMTP. If it weren't for that then Vultr would have my vote.

same feeling. a bit troublesome to unblock the outbound SMTP!

• Vultr is the winner.They offer SSD plans+storage plans and 12 locations.Load your own iso option.Also offer windows cloud option.

• Digitalocean for me.

• vultr for sure