Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendations for uptime/monitoring provider, please
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommendations for uptime/monitoring provider, please

NekkiNekki Veteran

Howdy folks,

I'm looking for your recommendations on an uptime/monitoring service. I'm not after a cheapy service, this needs to be a service capable of industrial strength monitoring. I need the following:

• unlimited tests across unlimited domains
    *multiple selectable geographic points of presence
  • unlimited email alerting as a minimum; SMS alerts a bonus
  • decent reporting features including custom reports and graphing
  • response and render time monitoring

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Comments

• trexostrexos Member
    edited June 2014

pretty sure @OnePound can do something :) I'm using their monitoring for nearly a year now.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited June 2014

Monitis.com

Has exceptional reports, checks from several locations simultaneously and some SLA feature if you need it

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

try http://elastictrace.com

it is becoming top class service

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Since Windows has been talked about here today, get one or two and download PRTG.

Its free for 10(?) sensors and I think you can upgrade to the double if you mention a website you are monitoring with it.

That would give you free email notification and then a good SMS provider can sort out the rest.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • wychwych Member
    edited June 2014

NodeQuery, nvm didn't see response and render requirements.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

monitive.com is great :-)

• Thanks for thinking of us but we don't offer any custom reports or render time monitoring yet.

I think we've got all the other points covered though including unlimited SMS alerts.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

trexos said: pretty sure @OnePound can do something :) I'm using their monitoring for nearly a year now.

Given they don't advertise it for sale on the site, I doubt it's a strong enough product for my needs.

drserver said: try http://elastictrace.com

it is becoming top class service

Can't gamble on them until they're confirmed top drawer, plus Iwon't be able to sell a service that's not out of beta yet to the boss.

MikHo said: Since Windows has been talked about here today, get one or two and download PRTG.

Self-hosted isn't an option, due to the server management overhead. It's cheaper to use an existing service than to purchase and manage a bunch of servers around the world.

@NodePing said:
    Thanks for thinking of us but we don't offer any custom reports or render time monitoring yet.

That's a shame, heard good things about your service. Unfortunately all the requirements are deal breakers.

Thanks everyone else for the suggestions.

Nekki said: Can't gamble on them until they're confirmed top drawer, plus Iwon't be able to sell a service that's not out of beta yet to the boss.

Sure. I thought that it was for personal project. Try it when you have little bit free time. you will be delighted.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

drserver said: Sure. I thought that it was for personal project. Try it when you have little bit free time. you will be delighted.

Ah no, this is for work, looking for a potential replacement to Gomez, which is great but OTT for what we're looking to monitor.

• wojonswojons Member

@nekki,

I am the creator of elasticTrace and just wanted to know what sort of requirments that you have its always great to know what people are looking for so i can make things better.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@wojons said:
    nekki,

I am the creator of elasticTrace and just wanted to know what sort of requirments that you have its always great to know what people are looking for so i can make things better.

Hi mate,

Thanks for replying, but I'm not going to waste your time; at present your service isn't mature enough for what I need right now. I'm looking for a 'big boy' in the monitoring field with some big name enterprise level clients already on board.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

New Relic ??? Great people great product.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@shovenose said:
    New Relic ??? Great people great product.

New Relic appear quite solid, like Gomez they're a bit OTT for what I need, but on the other hand it appears they're a lot cheaper, so that goes in their favour. The list of big name clients helps sell it too.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited June 2014

@wojons said:
    nekki,

elasticTrace doesn't even work on CentOS 6.5 x86_64 . The script gives "Unexpected Error" after about 10 seconds on the point where you run "--install --apikey .... "

Linux 2.6.32-431.17.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

python-iniparse-0.3.1-2.1.el6.noarch
    rpm-python-4.8.0-37.el6.x86_64
    python-pycurl-7.19.0-8.el6.x86_64
    newt-python-0.52.11-3.el6.x86_64
    python-libs-2.6.6-52.el6.x86_64
    python-urlgrabber-3.9.1-9.el6.noarch
    python-2.6.6-52.el6.x86_64

Etc.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

http://www.proactivemonitor.co.uk/products

Googled about providers who offers monitoring using PRTG and found the above link.
    No idea if it meets your requirements but perhaps worth a contact?

edited June 2014

GoodHosting said: elasticTrace doesn't even work on CentOS 6.5 x86_64

Hi,
    Please note that product is still in hardly beta. I will report this error for and it will be fixed ASAP. Once when you get it running, it is super stable and super light.

• I wonder what is you goal?

If you are monitoring the internal machine healthy status, try ganglia; for internal service metrics, try elk stack, collectd, statsd, haka etc.

If you want external monitoring, which is only valuable for network connectivity testing imho, pingdom, serverdensity, monitis, any of them should play the trick. I also don't think the geo distributed tool mater that much, you have no action plan if the Japanese customer can not reach your machine, it is good to know though.

• SunnSunn Member

Me bro, i am the best uptime monitor.

• wojonswojons Member

@Nekki said:
    Thanks for replying, but I'm not going to waste your time; at present your service isn't mature enough for what I need right now. I'm looking for a 'big boy' in the monitoring field with some big name enterprise level clients already on board.

You would not be wasting my time people that say my product is not ready are the exact people I need feedback from so I can make it better.

@GoodHosting said:
    Etc.

Sorry your having problems will you please add the --debug flag to ur commands and send the output to [email protected]

• NekkiNekki Veteran

wojons said: You would not be wasting my time people that say my product is not ready are the exact people I need feedback from so I can make it better.

I more meant that I have atypical requirements that I suspect the majority of your customers wouldn't want or need, so you including them would probably not be to worth you while.

• wojonswojons Member

@Nekki said:
    I more meant that I have atypical requirements that I suspect the majority of your customers wouldn't want or need, so you including them would probably not be to worth you while.

elasticTrace is a modular system and designed to be super flexible. Its the reason its enterprise monitoring getting ideas that may be very far out there are what make game changers. I cant promise you that i will have those features ready with in the time span that you need them but if you every come back looking for monitoring I would like to say I have meet your needs.

• @wojons said:

{'platform_id': '[REDACTED]', 'hostname': '[REDACTED]', 'spec': {'release': {}, 'cpuInfo': {'cpu(s)': 12.0, 'byte_order': 'Little Endian', 'cpu_mhz': '3500.349', 'numa_node(s)': 1.0, 'stepping': 4.0, 'l1i_cache': '32K', 'l1d_cache': '32K', 'l3_cache': '12288K', 'vendor_id': 'GenuineIntel', 'numa_node0_cpu(s)': '0-11', 'bogomips': '7000.69', 'socket(s)': 1.0, 'on-line_cpu(s)_list': '0-11', 'architecture': 'x86_64', 'cpu_op-mode(s)': '32-bit- 64-bit', 'cpu_family': 6.0, 'l2_cache': '256K', 'model': 62.0, 'core(s)_per_socket': 6.0, 'thread(s)_per_core': 2.0, 'virtualization': 'VT-x'}, 'version': 'Linux version 2.6.32-431.17.1.el6.x86_64 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-4) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed May 7 23:32:49 UTC 2014\n', 'meminfo': 65939676.0, 'uname': {'machine': 'x86_64', 'sysname': 'Linux', 'version': '#1 SMP Wed May 7 23:32:49 UTC 2014', 'kernel': '2.6.32-431.17.1.el6.x86_64'}}, 'node_id': None}
    response: auth error
    Response code: 200
    Unexpected Error

The problem is, immediately after registration you are shown a page with EMPTY fields for the "Platform ID", "API Key", and "API Secret" with only placeholder values [ which you can't actually submit or use. ] What are you meant to use here?

• wojonswojons Member

@GoodHosting said:
    The problem is, immediately after registration you are shown a page with EMPTY fields for the "Platform ID", "API Key", and "API Secret" with only placeholder values [ which you can't actually submit or use. ] What are you meant to use here?

Few things to go over since the beta is in a "private" beta I have to appove each signup manually and set account limits. Also when you signed up you should get an an email from the server with your api key and your api secrect I can send you a copy of them. Please PM me your email address.