Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new IP for ubuntu VPS and now can't ping outside the box / ssh hangs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

new IP for ubuntu VPS and now can't ping outside the box / ssh hangs

sandrosandro Member
edited May 2012 in General

my VPS provider just changed my VPS' IP, everything is working (like the webserver) but I have two problems

1 when I login via SSH after I type the user the console hangs for about 10 seconds before prompting the password request, also this happens when I login with SFTP and at every file transfer.

2 I can't ping domains/IPs outside the box, apache benchmarks won't work anymore.

I notice that in /etc/network/interfaces I still have an interface with the old IP along with the new one, could it be that the system tries to use the first one (old one) and then go to the second one?

I tried to delete it and restart networking but its still there. I know very little about networking in VPSes, is it even something I can do or it can be controlled only from the host machine?

Comments

• sandrosandro Member

no help? :D

• efballefball Member

Your not giving us much to go on. What is in /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf
    what version of ubuntu? 12.04 dynamically configures /etc/resolv.conf and you have to add more entries in /etc/network/interfaces if you use static IP.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR

This seems to be the resolvers. You can just edit the interfaces file with the new IP address.

• DamianDamian Member

What did the company say when you opened a support ticket with them?

• sandrosandro Member

Hi the provider hasn't answered yet. It's ubuntu 10.04

/etc/network/interfaces

Auto generated lo interface

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Auto generated venet0 interface

auto venet0
    iface venet0 inet static
    address 127.0.0.1
    netmask 255.255.255.255
    broadcast 0.0.0.0
    up route add default dev venet0
    auto venet0:0
    iface venet0:0 inet static
    address old-ip
    netmask 255.255.255.255
    broadcast 0.0.0.0
    auto venet0:1
    iface venet0:1 inet static
    address new-ip
    netmask 255.255.255.255
    broadcast 0.0.0.0

/etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 4.2.2.1

nameserver 4.2.2.2

• ifconfig venet0:0 down

• sandrosandro Member

it still behaves the same, so maybe that is not the problem

• IntcsIntcs Member

@Boltersdriveer said: This seems to be the resolvers. You can just edit the interfaces file with the new IP address.

Very true I believe. It's most likely the resolve entries where not entered and might be your VPS still using the old data, you can ask your provider to add them to your VPS through Solus panel. Just a question: where you migrated to a new datacenter with a new IP (I guess so), or within the same datacenter?

• sandrosandro Member

They said same datacenter but new network.

Anyway I fixed it in iptables.conf I had this:

-A POSTROUTING -j SNAT --to-source OLD.IP

I set this to make openvpn work (otherwise I couldn't use the vps' internet connection).
    Is there anyway to make only openvpn "listen" to this rule?