Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting WordPress Website
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting WordPress Website

ZealZeal Member

Hello,

I supposedly I have around 50,000 page views per day from about 10,000 unique visitors.
I am wondering about how much ram/cpu power will I need?

So far, I have decided I am going to use hosting that utilizes SSD for better performance and a 1 gbps port.

Thank you

Comments

• namhuynamhuy Member

depends on how many page/post you have, and how big your database is. I have one wordpress on 512mb vps with apache can handle 25k+ views a day.

• BayuBayu Member
    edited June 2014

High traffic wordpress site with nginx + apc maybe run fine with less than 2 gb ram. But wordpress is cpu hogging, depends on how many visitors at the same time. So maybe cpu power is more needed.

I have wordpress site with 2.5K + visitor per hour. Using nginx, php-fpm, and apc. RAM usage is only 1.5 gb with digital ocean 4 gb, but load average is more than 16.00 (97.0% us, 4.8% sys, 0.0% wa, 0.4% si)

• AleksZAleksZ Member

wordpress can handle 7000+ req/s on 5$ DO droplet (1core / 512mb ram)
    (Actually this is just 1Gb/s limit :P)
    Just use Debian 7 + Percona + PHP-FPM 5.5 (dotdeb.org) + W3 Total Cache Plugin + nginx with RIGHT nginx_settings (http://codex.wordpress.org/Nginx)

other plugins or memcached or redis or varnish will never do that

but I believe you can try vultr.com too

if you need more than that then haproxy+gluster+percona cluster

Thanked by 1howardsl2
  • BayuBayu Member

AleksZ said: other plugins or memcached or redis or varnish will never do that

Because w3tc create static html from php output

• wojonswojons Member

I am a big fan of @drservers abusivecores line. And he had a great sale last week and may still have stock.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/27931/abusivecores-memorial-day-special#latest

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited June 2014

Really depends on your WordPress site.. If you're using a ton of plugins and have a really complicated structure, or a nearly un-cacheable structure (real time updates), then you'll need a bigger box.

Just a standard caching plugin like W3 Total Cache or WPSupercache (with cache priming) and nginx can do wonders. Your goal is to basically only serve up static HTML to visitors and only use php/mysql processes when someone comments or you're in the dashboard. Things that will kill this are plugins that save data from every visitor (traffic counters, dynamic redirect plugins), or like voting/rating plugins.. anything that's hitting the database.

I'd wager that if you're willing to tinker/tweak stuff and learn, you could probably get that site on a 512MB box. If you have the option, pure SSD never hurts (although not a requirement).

If you can minimize the amount of requests and offload some static assets to a CDN (like images, css, js, etc) then that'll help reduce the size of box you need as well.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Just throwing this out there, have you looked into bundling cloudflare into your setup?

They conserve bandwidth & requests by caching some static content. Best of all, its free & requires literally 5 minutes of work to setup.

• ZEROFZEROF Member

I have about 7000-10000 visitors on one of my sites and all running with Hiawatha+MariaDB, RAM 512MB and 512 swap. But time to time i need to restart mysql because of overload.

• ZealZeal Member

Alright, I was running wamp and it wasn't pretty. I'll look in cache and switching to Linux.

• This is a very good read. While the headline is based on simulated load instead of real world usage, the tips are all spot on for optimizing performance:
    http://ewan.im/900/10-million-hits-a-day-with-wordpress-using-a-15-server

• @datarealm said:
    This is a very good read. While the headline is based on simulated load instead of real world usage, the tips are all spot on for optimizing performance:

Using blitz.io, I get

This rush generated 3,027 successful hits in 60 seconds and we transferred 100.73 MB of data in and out of your app. The average hit rate of 50.45/second translates to about 4,358,880 hits/day.
    The average response time was 142 ms.

on a 256MB 2-core server that costs me 3$ a month.

• ZealZeal Member
    edited June 2014

@datarealm said:
    This is a very good read. While the headline is based on simulated load instead of real world usage, the tips are all spot on for optimizing performance:

I shall try that.

• Everything has been said already, but good old combination of Nginx + MariaDB + memcached + mentioned plugins creating static files will give you peak performance even on those <$5 instances.

I think you can just ask people for configuration tips if posted articles aren't enough. Good luck.