Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Job offering - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Job offering

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Daniel Surely there is a similar scheme, I was mainly directing that at @ElliotJ since Manchester is a big city, I don't live in London either, my area is a boundry so we get all the London stuff but we're not really in London.

I believe that Southeastern will start accepting Oyster cards outside of London, they already accept it in many stations already but not trains to Dartford from . I wish they did, I regularly travel to Dartford as we have a house there and my uncle lives there ;)

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Yes a linux sysadmin would be our goal. It is not only for VPS hosting either.

• CoreyCorey Member

@CVPS_Chris have you found the one yet or are people just continually trolling and derailing this topic? :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Best of luck in your search. Sounds like New Wave is doing pretty well.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Corey said: @CVPS_Chris have you found the one yet or are people just continually trolling and derailing this topic? :)

We have not started the process yet, we are pooling together a few of our top resumes and going from there. I would like to see a few more though :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@CVPS_Chris said: I would like to see a few more though :)

With my resume, you dont need more XD

• @Daniel -- £5.60?
    Pfft. It's £7.00 in the north east of england (Durham) for a Day Ticket on Arriva, since that's our main bus line.

There's also the arriva "national" ticket for about £8.00 which can take me outside of my borders and as far as I want. Personally prefer "GNE/Go North East" much cheaper. Costs me £1.60 for 1.5mile jouney.

@CVPS_Chris I've just sent you an e-mail requesting more information on the role, good luck to all applicants and I hope there's that special somebody lurking.

• rds100rds100 Member

Guys, if the bus tickets cost 5 - 7 pounds, why do you use buses at all? Why not drive your own cars, should be cheaper?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@rds100 said: Guys, if the bus tickets cost 5 - 7 pounds, why do you use buses at all? Why not drive your own cars, should be cheaper?

I'm 17 and still learning to drive.

Fuel is pretty much the most expensive in the UK compared to any other country (in the world), around 70% of it is tax.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Daniel not sure how is it in the UK, i think here you can get a driving license category "M" even at 17, which allows you to drive an up to 50cc motorbike.

• @rds100

Great comment, apart from being a young man in England isnt easy, you're stereotyped as a hardcore raver who's a speed demon in a car.

As soon as I pass my (expensive) test, I have to buy a car. In addition to that, I have to pay for tax, then I have to pay anywhere from 2400 -> 5600 £ for the first year of my driving insurance, which may even still, at 5600£ be curfew'd to 9PM.

When I think about it, I'd rather invest in a raincoat and a bike.

Or just get a moped license. :D!

• @rds100 said: @Daniel not sure how is it in the UK, i think here you can get a driving license category "M" even at 17, which allows you to drive an up to 50cc motorbike.

I got a provisional, whenever I drive I need someone over 21 in the car. My Dad thinks its a stupid idea to get a bike.

Insurance in the UK cost more then the car itself, you could get a car for £1000 but the insurance would be £2500 a year.

• rds100rds100 Member

Ok, then i should stop complaining about our greedy insurers which keep rising the insurance price year after year :) I think i payed about 100 Euro for the insurance for one of my cars, and about 110 Euro for the other car.

• @rds100 said: Ok, then i should stop complaining about our greedy insurers which keep rising the insurance price year after year :) I think i payed about 100 Euro for the insurance for one of my cars, and about 110 Euro for the other car.

Thats cheap insurance. I wish the UK was like the rest of Europe and the government would stop slapping 1000% tax on everything.

I believe they're raising the driving age in the UK after next year.. Bad news for me.
    Insurance is also sky high for young drivers.

Around here it's much easier to travel by train/tube which also alleviates the congestion problem and congestion charging zone in central London but it costs quite a bit, even for me with my discounted rates. It's much more viable though.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: I think i payed about 100 Euro for the insurance for one of my cars, and about 110 Euro for the other car.

This is really cheap. 1000€ (including theft insurance) for my 4 years old car with serveral years in a row without incident (this lower the annual fee a lot).

• rds100rds100 Member

I am sorry for the offtopic @CVPS_Chris , if you want we can move this to a separate thread.
    About the insurances in UK - are they per car or per driver? Can't you drive someone else's car, with cheaper insurance?

• @rds100 said: About the insurances in UK - are they per car or per driver?

Its done per person per car.

• rds100rds100 Member

@prometeus i don't have anti theft insurance, just the mandatory liability insurance. Both my cars are 15+ years old :)

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel this sux!

So you can't legally drive your friend's car?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@CVPS_Chris I'm sorry too.

edited May 2012

@rds100 Not unless you're registered as a driver on his/her insurance.

• rds100rds100 Member

One thing is for sure - i'm not coming to UK then. What's the point in working for twice the money, when the government is robbing you with 2/3 in taxes.

• @rds100 said: One thing is for sure - i'm not coming to UK then. What's the point in working for twice the money, when the government is robbing you with 2/3 in taxes.

Haha, its cheaper to get on the tunnel to France, fill up there then get the tunnel back then it is to fill up in the UK for the same amount.

• @rds100 said: What's the point in working for twice the money, when the government is robbing you with 2/3 in taxes.

Sorry, twice the money? hardly.

Minimum wage table is below!

Current NMW rates

There are different levels of NMW, depending on your age and whether you are an apprentice. The current rates (from 1 October 2011) are:
    £6.08 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
    £4.98 - the 18-20 rate
    £3.68 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
    £2.60 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

It's quite a bad wage to be honest, look at the unemployment rates. After 6 months of applying, I got two interviews, one of which was an apprenticeship which I in the end declined due to distance, the second was McDonalds, I was fighting with 60 applicants through interviews just to get one out of 15 positions. That's harsh!

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2012

@eastonch well, i'm not working for the minimum wage obviously :) And i don't work in McDonalds and such.

• @rds100

Ah. But, all i'm saying is, that the average income per month, is no where near as much as other places. And we're still taxed, lots.

http://bit.ly/JuFMs7
    ^ There's a google thingy, showing Min Wage across the EU in the scale of Euros.

North of england sucks, more "minimum" wage jobs, but slightly cheaper living.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

The UK government is so greedy, that if it could, it would tax dead people.

Oh wait, it already does.

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • rds100rds100 Member

@eastonch now look in that table for the minimum wage in Bulgaria :) That's where i live.
    But i am not interested in minimum wages, i would only work well payed IT job.

• @rds100 I would love to jump into that career, I'm all them sorts of talented, but at the same time, there's people in the UK that's got them "formal" quals with no experience, taking all the decently paid jobs. Unless I'm a CNC Lathe Tuner / Optimizer i'm not getting a "walk in" job that's paying me somewhat decently.

May I ask what sector of IT you're in? :]