Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overclocking your dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Overclocking your dedicated server?

Mark_RMark_R Member

Hello,

Did anyone tried overclocking their dedicated server? is this possible or is the hardware locked to prevent it?

I spotted some dedicated server providers who happen to provide AMD based processors and those look like normal desktop-pc processors? AMD Phenom II x6 1045t to be specific in this case, overclocking shouldn't be a problem?

Thank you.

Comments

• sc754sc754 Member

@Mark_R said:
    Hello,

Did anyone tried overclocking their dedicated server? is this possible or is the hardware locked to prevent it?

I spotted some dedicated server providers who happen to provide AMD based processors and those look like normal desktop-pc processors? AMD Phenom II x6 1045t to be specific in this case, overclocking shouldn't be a problem?

Thank you.

I managed to overclock my kimsufi server once, I think it was an i5 which I set to use turbo as it's default speed instead of downclocking. But that's as far as I got

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@sc754 said:
    I managed to overclock my kimsufi server once, I think it was an i5 which I set to use turbo as it's default speed instead of downclocking. But that's as far as I got

wait.. is the kimsufi i5 series downclocked by default?

• It is unlikely you will have sufficient cooling to do any OCs worth doing on any box on LEB.

• sc754sc754 Member

@Mark_R said:

No as I recall it would sit at 2.8ghz and turbo to 3.1Ghz, I got it to stay at 3.1ghz when not under load. But I suppose that's not really overclocking

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited June 2014

@Mark_R said:

Most of the kimsufi servers that I've used downclock them selves. They are normal (dekstop) processors which are often designed to save power so usually have downclocking enabled unless you manually disable it within your OS.

I have the new atom with them, it's clocked at 1.86 GHz but was only running at 700MHz

• Intel processors always run usually/at idle on a lower clock speed, usually the clock speed advertised on the box. Then there's a turbo mode where generally you can get 200-300Mhz extra performance at no real risk at stock cooling. Depending on your OS and your settings it should do this automatically.

• earlearl Member

@rmlhhd said:
    I have the new atom with them, it's clocked at 1.86 GHz but was only running at 700MHz

I think it's OS dependent.. I noticed with ubuntu speed step is enabled by default.. I have proxmox installed in all my servers and all my CPU run at full speed..

I believe it's something in the kernel and you can disabled the function.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

I think that the idle clocking that the CPU does by default is normal these days with the newer processors. I've seen my desktop CPU doing this aswel. I wouldn't touch that because that is only positive behaivor (saving power etc.) I'm more interested in overclocking the max GHZ limit, getting the max possible performance out of the CPU when it really is needed.

Thanked by 1cyberkiller6
  • sc754sc754 Member
    edited June 2014

@Mark_R said:
    I think that the idle clocking that the CPU does by default is normal these days with the newer processors. I've seen my desktop CPU doing this aswel. I wouldn't touch that because that is only positive behaivor (saving power etc.) I'm more interested in overclocking the max GHZ limit, getting the max possible performance out of the CPU when it really is needed.

You say that, but when I was doing video encoding the processor on my laptop (i5) performed much better with the power saving off. It encoded 30% faster when I turned off power saving / speedstep.

• J1021J1021 Member

rmlhhd said: Most of the kimsufi servers that I've used downclock them selves. They are normal (dekstop) processors which are often designed to save power so usually have downclocking enabled unless you manually disable it within your OS.

Someone on the forum said that it will speed up to 1.86 Ghz when under load.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited June 2014

@Mark_R In my opinion overclocking a dedicated server should not be performed.

It impacts power consumption, server stability and lifetime.

Actually i am not a fan of overclocking at all, in any scenario, because of the very same reasons. Slow and stable, even with passive cooling, i want my machines to be able to work continuously for at least 5-10 years so i get the maximum out of my investment. Normally during this course their roles purposely shall change to maybe less important ones, but they shall still continue working.

• earlearl Member

For fun I use to overclock my system. But considering how much you pay for a better fan better paste etc.. I think it's best to use that money and buy the faster processor in the first place.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@Janevski said:
    Mark_R In my opinion overclocking a dedicated server should not be performed.