Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is the method of oversolding the vps base on the xen and kvm virtualization?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what is the method of oversolding the vps base on the xen and kvm virtualization?

i am curious what is the method of oversolding the vps base on the xen and kvm virtualization? could you tell me?

Comments

• blackblack Member
    edited May 2014

It's a secret.

• SunnSunn Member

@black said:
    It's a secret.

Lol, there is no method. You just make the VPS, if it goes online "hooray" , if it does not then "sigh".

KVM- You can only oversell ram.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think you mean "overselling" :)

Xen:

You can oversell disk if using a flat storage system however none of the commercial hosting panels I know of support that, you cant oversell ram you can balloon it but you can never exceed the total physical maximum of the node so essentially in hosting unless someone has written their own panel and control system you cant oversell Xen in terms of Ram/Disk.

KVM:

Similar setup to Xen on the disk front but it will allow you to allocate more ram than the physical node has but at a performance cost.

There is a good reason Xen and KVM are generally more expensive than OpenVZ :)

Thanked by 1edan
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

From what I know DO does at least the thin provisioning thing.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Sunn said:
    Lol, there is no method. You just make the VPS, if it goes online "hooray" , if it does not >then "sigh".

Would you like to apply to my Level 3 technical helpdesk opening?

• VPNVPN Member

Smells like summer.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

AlexanderM said: Would you like to apply to my Level 3 technical helpdesk opening?

I am sure the monkeys there are already worried about their bananas bonus, or even the peanuts wage :P

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

Thin provisioning + some form of memory de-duplication/page sharing.

Performance hit of dedupe is negligible and certainly worth doing. Thin provisioning has fragmentation issues so should only really be used on SSDs unless you want a performance hit.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Maounique said:
    I am sure the monkeys there are already worried about their bananas bonus, or even the peanuts wage :P

Ahahh :P