Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Data Centre Alternatives to OVH in Europe?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Data Centre Alternatives to OVH in Europe?

Am very happy with OVH for my nodes but want to build out an alternative centre in UK or mainland Europe. Who do people recommend with similar quality and pricing?

Comments

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

Online.net

Thanked by 2freewebie george
  • J1021J1021 Member
    edited May 2014

Redstation - Hampshire, UK

UK2 - London, UK

Melbourne - Manchester, UK

M247 - Manchester, UK

Fasthosts - Gloucester, UK

Thanked by 2freewebie george
  • georgegeorge Member

@rmlhhd said:
    Online.net

What's their network like compared to OVH's?

• @george said:

Much worse in my experience.

Thanked by 1george
  • Pricing on Online.ie seems very good. UK pricing is expensive at first glance

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited May 2014

freewebie said: Pricing on Online.ie seems very good. UK pricing is expensive at first glance

UK is expensive.

Thanked by 1freewebie
  • rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

@george said:

I'll post a test shortly.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited May 2014

@george

Dedibox Classic + Gen 2 - 150Mbit/s guaranteed

Download speed from CacheFly: 78,3MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 12,6MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 13,9MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6,81MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 71,8MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 58,7MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5,38MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 12,1MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 11,3MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 23,3MB/s 

I can't compare it to OVH as I have no 1Gbps servers with them.

Thanked by 2george freewebie
  • freewebiefreewebie Member
    edited May 2014
    Download speed from CacheFly: 62.7MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 14.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 16.2MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.76MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 64.8MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 79.7MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.18MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 13.0MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 13.7MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 23.5MB/s 
    I/O speed :  79.1 MB/s

This is my OVH VPS with 1Gbps uplink - Online.net compares well

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

jeffreywinters said: Much worse in my experience.

Much better in my experience.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited June 2014

@jeffreywinters said:
    Much worse in my experience.

@Jylee said:
    Much better in my experience.

I'd have to agree with worse, every few days there would be seemingly random bouts of the network just tanking in speed to North America, while an OVH server to the same place in NA would be the same as usual. Once in a while I got strange packet loss as well, I can assure it was in no way my config as well as it was an as per usual debian install for me, nothing special that would have caused it. Naturally I didn't even bother asking their support since I already know what to expect from them, as I've helped people who couldn't speak French buy from them prior to them accepting international customers. However other people in the same DC (3rd one) would confirm the issue at the same times as me, thus I could only assume it was their fault in some way. I'm not really "dissing" online.net/proxad/Iliad/Free/etc, but I certainly didn't have much fun on their network.

OVH on the other hand has pretty much always been consistent in terms of meeting what little I expect of them, which isn't much. Also, no weird network issues either with the exception of "fiber cuts" all the time in BHS.

Disclaimer: These are just my experiences with proxad(online) and OVH respectively, your experience probably will vary.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @Jylee said:

Just google "site:lowendtalk.com online.net packet loss"

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

jeffreywinters said: Just google "site:lowendtalk.com online.net packet loss"

I've said "in my experience" :)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • SebfmSebfm Member

http://ping.online.net/ You may test Online.net network by now, from your ISP connection or from another place in case of need.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2014

If you target UPC (a very large (around 50mil customers) cable telco in many EU countries) forget OVH, their ports are overcongested and rarely give me more than 1.5MB/s - Contrary to online.net which gives me full 12MB/s.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2014

I was with online.net for quite some time in the past. And yes: They had packet loss problems. And yes: Their network was not so good during that time. And yes: Support was slow and only in french.

I am with online.net again since roughly 2 months. And yes: I have seen NO packet loss at all. And yes: Their network has vastly improved, specially for international routes. And yes: Support is now also in english.

Right now, I would recommend them to anyone without any hesitation at all.

Great hardware, great network, non-existing support on weekends and holiday with the "Basic Support" option, but my inquiries during business times have always been solved < 1h.

I know that people here love OVH for some reason that I will never understand. I also have 2 servers with them, but would favour online.net at any time.

The only thing that bothers me a bit was the "guerilla way" in which they tried to promote themselves here in several threads. That was, honestly, quite poor. But this is really the only downside I see at the moment.