Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting Development
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interesting Development

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited May 2012 in General

I currently own the .com .net .org of a domain and I just was approached by a branding company asking how much I want for the lot. Now I'm curious how much I should let them go for. It could be a very powerful brand, and if they hire a branding company they obviously have money to spend.

Comments

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

50 gazillion dollars?

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@FRCorey, PM the domain names?

• @FRCorey, PM me the domain's too.

• vldvld Member

@Daniel said: @FRCorey, PM me the domain's too.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@vld Huh?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I know what PM everyone the names!

• vedranvedran Veteran

ffs, just post the names!

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

Don't PM me the domain, just post em, you own em, what could possibly go wrong ;)

• Depends on some factors:

Has the company which is asking for the domain a trademark for it's name? Which business? You better post the domain here, so we can take a guess of it's value.

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

hah.

Guys this company has branded companies like American Airlines, Sharp, Toyota.

I'm starting to think at least 5 figures here.

• debugdebug Member

Are you actually using the site?

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited May 2012

If they were smart they would have used a lawer or some third party to ask you. Not a name that raises the value =\

That said you may have more room to work with ^^

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2012

@FRCorey said: Guys this company has branded companies like American Airlines, Sharp, Toyota.

• AsadAsad Member

@jarland Oh Hell No!

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • FRCoreyFRCorey Member

No I'm not using the domain, I had a plan for it for a business hosting venture.

put it this way using a different language version of (life)hosting

• Ask them how much they want to pay.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Take what they offer and double it at minimum.

Francisco

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

I waited a few hours to make em sweat, and asked them to send me an offer.

• sleddogsleddog Member

$20 each, maybe $10 for the .com.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • flyfly Member

yeah, inb4 sued and forcibly removed of your property.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

What if others want to make a offer =)

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

@kbar they cant sue me and take it, I have a DBA filed under that name.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@HC_Ro said: What if others want to make a offer =)

If it's a branding group they likely have some fairly deep pockets. People with a very small budget don't go paying branding companies to get things going.

Francisco

• KairusKairus Member
    edited May 2012

I had a professor in Uni that was approached by a shell company (or branding company or something) for a domain he owned. Got like $6,000 for it, ended up being the name of a prescription drug from a big pharmaceutical company. He was sitting on it for years, he had plans to develop it, but never got around to it, so he sold it. Too bad I can't remember the name of the domain...

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

@liam and this is my worry, I want to see what they offer, because I can see the name being a big company if someone put enough money behind it.

Besides my wife needs a new car lol.

• flyfly Member

really? so if they take you to court, you'll be willing to pay the court fees and lawyer fees and take the lost time from your business in order to fight over those domain names, eh?

• SpencerSpencer Member

Domains are a real grey area. Last year I was domain squatting on the domain tinychats.net just because. And one day I got an e-mail saying that tinychats will file a wipo arbitration against me if I do not give them the domain. If I didn't give it to them I would have to go to court and all that fun stuff. But I just gave them the domain because it wasn't worth my time or effort.

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

Unless they can prove they existed prior to my DBA filing, they can do nothing about it.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

"Well first of all this was registered prior to your brand"

but your not using it

1) "so!"
    2) "been using it as a irc vhost"

• KairusKairus Member

I think domain squatters are on a similar level to patent trolls...

Thanked by 2nabo dmmcintyre3