Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudlinux now has support for OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudlinux now has support for OpenVZ

I noticed that CloudLinux now has support for OpenVZ.

See below
http://docs.cloudlinux.com/index.html?virtuozzo_and_openvz.html

Comments

• Very cool. We've been using CloudLinux for a while and never had any issues. It is definitely a useful tool for web hosting providers/server admins.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Interesting, although not all the features are supported yet. This way clients do not need to get KVM machines and pay a higher price :P

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I use cloudlinux on my cPanel servers however I often wonder why I bother a few extra monitoring tools that are handy within WHM but that's about all I use from it, maybe I under utilize it or maybe its because I am used to doing most of the stuff it does for you myself anyway.

Good news on the support front though :)

• jhjh Member

Don't understand why this is needed other than to impose invisible limits on oversold nodes. Am I missing something?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Hmm. I don't suppose I ever understood the real benefit of cagefs over jailshell, and the PHP selector isn't really worth the license cost. Interesting to see them trying this, but I don't think they'll generate much interest beyond people who don't realize that none of the primary features are going to work.

• BlastVMBlastVM Member
    edited May 2014

@jarland said:

Hmm. I don't suppose I ever understood the real benefit of cagefs over jailshell, and the PHP selector isn't really worth the license cost. Interesting to see them trying this, but I don't think they'll generate much interest beyond people who don't realize that none of the primary features are going to work.

All depends you see..

It has only just been implemented. the rest of the limits might be implemented at a later date. How ever I see this as a benefit to hosting providers. As I prefer OpenVZ as it is much easier to migrate across hardware with less downtime. Also it would make it useful to people who run a lot of domains per server. some people might need to run different PHP configurations. there is a lot of benefits here, just have to look at the bigger picture.

BlastVM said: the rest of the limits might be implemented at a later date

I'd be real interested in how they might do that without custom implementation of the OpenVZ kernel on the node. I've not seen a decent implementation of the kind of limits CloudLinux has that exist purely in user space, which I've always taken as the reason for the kernel based implementation from day one. If they can pull off the same thing in user space, they don't even need to focus on OpenVZ, only on replacing their normal system with one that will work in all environments.

I'll keep my mind open but I won't hold my breath for the CloudLinux team to be the first ones to master it.

edited May 2014

Interesting, I hadn't seen that before. Doesn't provide the kind of features that makes CloudLinux what it is though imo, specifically the per user IO and CPU limitations (notice they focus on statistics there, not limits). The closest thing is their load check on mod_cgi but it's not a per user deal. Those are pretty much key to limiting accounts in the way CloudLinux does, and they're not executed purely in user space, but alongside kernel implementations that aid the process.

I do see their CPU time limit, but that sounds like a proc kill at X value of CPU time, which is a really rough way to do it, not at all the same thing as limiting the user's access to CPU. This thing looks like a support ticket generator ;)