Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Floating IP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Floating IP?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited May 2012 in General

Does anyone know any LEB providers that offers floating IP? I remembered @Francisco and @Aldryic mentioned before they were thinking of offering it but I was unable to get an conclusive answer by searching LET.

And if anyone knows some detailed tutorial to set up HA environment with Nginx + PHP + Mysql, please let me know as well, really appreciate that.

Comments

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

You can do it with 3 VPS that you have a backend network for (so you're not eating your bandwidth). 1 VPS is the LB, and then you have 2 other VPS for web servers, ideally you do this with 4, 2 LB 2 Web servers, or even 6, 2 LB, 2 Web, 2 Sql.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@FRCorey - no, he's referring to a specific feature that's on our todo list. Something none of the other budget providers yet offer.

@zhuanyi - we still have plans to get Floating IPs done... to be honest, we've just been swamped lately with what seems to be one thing after another. I'll poke Fran, see if we can knock heads and get some more talk going about getting the feature implemented in time for Stallion2.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

@FRCorey: Yes, but Heartbeat would require a floating IP to work? No?

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

@Aldryic: Wow you are quick :) Sure, if you need a beta-tester for the feature, you have one right here :) I am willing to pay for an extra IP if needed (already have 2 128MB OVZ and 1 128KVM sitting there, waiting)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: @FRCorey - no, he's referring to a specific feature that's on our todo list. Something none of the other budget providers yet offer.

I probably do not do it the same way, but I have several clients using floating IP's for months. Probably came about when Fran and I were brainstorming (bullshitting) in IRC one night.

• AldryicAldryic Member

Awesome, thanks, we'll definitely keep you in mind when we're ready to beta it :P I'll ask @Francisco to chime in when he has a sec with some more info.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said: I were brainstorming (bullshitting) in IRC one night.

Floating IP's is pretty much the top of the list for OpenVZ. 'floating IPs' on KVM's is there by default but now the host has to allow IP theft within their LAN but on OpenVZ you have to deal with derpy bridges to support and, again, allowing IP theft.

the next big issue is that the way you're doing it, Tim, is that:

• User buys 2 VM's
    • User uses VM #1's IP on VM #2 and vice versa
    • no bandwidth will now be accounted as iptables won't be setup properly on either end

:(

Getting the bridges and all that working isn't that big of a deal, it's the modifications we'll have to do to our bandwidth accounting to make it work properly.

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Francisco said: User uses VM #1's IP on VM #2 and vice versa

no bandwidth will now be accounted

This is true, but the usage by these users is so low, it's not worth the time to account for it. Getting it going to add in OpenVZ is really nice.

@miTgiB said: This is true, but the usage by these users is so low, it's not worth the time to account for it. Getting it going to add in OpenVZ is really nice.

Hopefully it's low, yer :(

The idea is to get it working properly under both platforms with full bandwidth accounting on both ends as well as IP locks to stop potential theft.

Francisco

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

@Aldryic: Thanks!

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

@Francisco For me I just need to get the floating IP works on the OVZ boxes if that helps to make things move a little faster :) My KVM box will serve as the DB box.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

By the way, if anyone knows any good tutorial to set up the Heartbeat for Nginx + PHP + MYSQL environment in Debian, please let me know as well. Thanks! I only found one here: http://lubl.de/blog/2009/10/setting-up-hearbeat-failover-for-an-ip-adress-on-debian-squeeze/

• WilliamWilliam Member

@Francisco said: is there by default but now the host has to allow IP theft within their LAN

Why not whitelist the mac of all VMs in the customer account for all his IPs?
    That's what we do and it works fine so far

@William said: Why not whitelist the mac of all VMs in the customer account for all his IPs?

That's what we do and it works fine so far

Because OpenVZ requires bridged interfaces to allow adding your own ip's start and it still doesn't do proper bandwidth accounting :P. We could setup pmacct/sflows to do our bandwidth accounting but that's just taxing our router more when iptables does just fine locally.

Francisco