Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi for web hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi for web hosting?

larslars Member

Hello,

I want to run a free host. I'll use VestaCP for the control panel. There are many VPS providers who have said this is okay, but then I saw the Kimsufi dedicated servers which are the same price but much better.
I could run the sites on the KS-1 plan, but is the dual core Atom™ N2800 good enough? How many general websites would be able to run on this CPU?

Comments

• Will be perfect for this purpose, make sure to back everything up though or warn your clients to take backups - HDD's do fail.

Mix of wordpress/static sites and you should be ok for at least 100 and possibly more.

Thanked by 1lars
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2014

General is a large category. I would say you will be limited more by the disk than cpu. Also, only 2 GB of ram does not allow great caching to avoid the disk limitation. I would say 20-100 users can come in dynamic sites and much more in static ones. It depends how heavy the db queries are and how well you are configuring things.
    In short, it is not the number of sites, but the amount of processing per page and number of visitors that matters.

Thanked by 1lars
  • You could just treat it as a 2GB VPS with a larger disk and slower system performance. If you are going to lots of static sites with very few visitors, it's fine. For dynamic sites or databases, 50 would be the maximum.

Run some test websites on the server and you'll see how much resources they are going to need.

• larslars Member

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe I should just go for a VPS? I'm not too bothered about the disk, 60GB would be the minimum.

It does need to be in Europe though.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2014

If you have many visitors and dynamic sites, go with a vps with a lot of ram and fast disk, if you have mostly static sites for storage, go with KS.
    You can do a combination, give people a backup/storage account like ftp'n'web on the KS so they can do the backups there and load bigger files like small movies and stuff, and get a fast front-end for dynamic content, where they can link the stored files.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Kimsufi only has single disk and no RAID, you'd likely get much better disk performance out of a VPS.

OVH Cloud VPS range is very good.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

I don't think Kimsufi is good idea for hosting!

• itrmikeitrmike Member

@key900 said:
    I don't think Kimsufi is good idea for hosting!

Elaborate, your opinions seem to be conflicting with some people on the thread and with mine as well. I run a popular vbulletin forum off a KS box and it is absolutely fine for that purpose. I could shove a few more sites on top with no problems if I wanted to but right now I have no need to do so.

• J1021J1021 Member

I host my personal stuff on my KS-1 without a problem. Got a MySQL database running on it too, currently 869k rows and averaging 13k queries an hour.

• VPNVPN Member

I'll be honest here, the Kimsufi range was almost intended for this very reason.

Someone who wants to run some static and dynamic content but wants dedicated resources without having to worry about noisy neighbours.

If I was you, I'd go for the Kimsufi. If you really want a VPS then I would recommend VMBox. They have SSD cached VPSs in NL and they're great for speed.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

itrmike said: Elaborate, your opinions seem to be conflicting with some people on the thread and with mine as well. I run a popular vbulletin forum off a KS box and it is absolutely fine for that purpose. I could shove a few more sites on top with no problems if I wanted to but right now I have no need to do so.

@lars is talking about a free host. For that purpose, where I'd assume service expectations are lower, sure.

If I was trying to run a paid host, I would never pick Kimsufi. Suppose you have a hardware or service issue? Getting a response can take days.

It's not so much the hardware as what kind of support you get from your provider.

But for a free provider...why not!

• wychwych Member

@raindog308 said:

Or just have backups and be ready to bring a new machine up at any point if the HDD/hardware fails.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

wych said: Or just have backups and be ready to bring a new machine up at any point if the HDD/hardware fails.

Yeah, again, it depends on what you're trying to do. Backups and bring up a new machine could mean hours of downtime...even if you had another machine rsync'd constantly and just switched DNS it could be downtime and headache, people getting mail delayed, etc. But for a free host or budget host, sure.

• You could always buy a 2nd kimsufi and rsync everything to the 2nd every night, or just buy a new one every 6 months if they are in stock.

• J1021J1021 Member

linuxthefish said: or just buy a new one every 6 months if they are in stock.

A HDD can fail at any time, even from new.

• larslars Member

It is only a free host, I probably wont be taking backups and make it up to the user to take care of their own stuff.

• larslars Member

I mean, of course I will take backups of the control panel/client accounts, but not their websites.

• @1e10 said:
    A HDD can fail at any time, even from new.

Apparently they test the HDD's by leaving them on for a while, hence the longish power on time on new kimsufi drives - not sure on that though...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Nope, validation of a paypal payment takes days until you call them. Just imagine your HDD need to be replaced and it takes days with a webhosting and everything is down. So dont use it productive its risky.

• larslars Member

@Infinity580 said:
    Nope, validation of a paypal payment takes days until you call them. Just imagine your HDD need to be replaced and it takes days with a webhosting and everything is down. So dont use it productive its risky.

But for a free host, does it really matter?

edited May 2014

@lars yes if the people care about there sites and you going down for some hours because your HDD broke yes, normally you get it replaced in 20-60mins.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited May 2014

Infinity580 said: yes if the people care about there sites and you going down for some hours because your HDD broke yes, normaly you get it replaced in 20-60mins.

Replaced within 20-60 minutes with Kimsufi?

• larslars Member

@Infinity580 said:
    lars yes if the people care about there sites and you going down for some hours because your HDD broke yes, normaly you get it replaced in 20-60mins.

I might buy a VPS instead, I think it is more suitable. Not sure what provider though.

edited May 2014

@1e10 Nope but for example at Hetzner they do it within 20 Minutes, thats why i said normally.

• J1021J1021 Member

lars said: I might buy a VPS instead, I think it is more suitable. Not sure what provider though.

What is your budget for the server?

• larslars Member

@1e10 said:
    What is your budget for the server?

Maybe £10/month, doesn't need to be anything special. VestaCP runs everything fine in under 100MB RAM but I'll want at least 512MB - 1GB. 50GB hard drive is enough, 2TB bandwidth. It needs to be in Europe.

• J1021J1021 Member

lars said: Maybe £10/month, doesn't need to be anything special. VestaCP runs everything fine in under 100MB RAM but I'll want at least 512MB - 1GB. 50GB hard drive is enough, 2TB bandwidth. It needs to be in Europe.

Have you considered online.net for a dedicated server? I assume the hardware support there is a little more prompt than Kimsufi.

• larslars Member

@1e10 said:
    Have you considered online.net for a dedicated server? I assume the hardware support there is a little more prompt than Kimsufi.

Same dual core Atom CPU; not good enough for many web hosting clients.

• J1021J1021 Member

http://www.ovh.co.uk/vps/vps-classic.xml

4GB RAM
    50GB Disk Space
    10TB Data-transfer at 100Mb/s
    £8.15 monthly.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

And OVH won't be supporting your "pro-white" BS, just FYI...