Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Iceland? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Iceland?

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2012

I guess you could also install a squid proxy in VRS and use it. Not a real VPN, but still might be OK for some.
    I imagine socks5 works too.

• AmfyAmfy Member

@rds100 said: I guess you could also install a squid proxy in VRS and use it. Not a real VPN, but still might be OK for some.

I imagine socks5 works too.

Right, and I think there are some options to use SSH as a VPN, too. For example: http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/VPN-Over-SSH (but not sure, if you need something like tun/tap on the vps, too)

@William

Big thanks for your long answer!

But I have two more questions to understand your answer completely (My english is too bad to get that :P):

1. Does your answer mean, that when I have a service with you (for best in Iceland) and someone wants my address, you can ignore the request until they have a court order, but that needs time, so you can forward the request to me I will cancel my server you will delete my account and they cannot get my data?

(in some cases an acknowledgement is enough too, for example if it originates from Germany

1. Only if I have a server in Germany or always when I am a German customer?
  • @Amfy said: Only if I have a server in Germany or always when I am a German customer?

I think he ment a request from the German law enforcement. But as long as you don't harm any germans or violate german laws (with your server being in Germany) the German law enforcement should't care for what you do.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@Amfy said: Does your answer mean, that when I have a service with you (for best in Iceland) and someone wants my address, you can ignore the request until they have a court order, but that needs time, so you can forward the request to me I will cancel my server you will delete my account and they cannot get my data?

Since we are required to save the data for years no, they will still get it but your server will be gone by then likely.

@Amfy said: Only if I have a server in Germany or always when I am a German customer?

Nothing of both, when it originates from German law enforcement.

@gsrdgrdghd said: But as long as you don't harm any germans or violate german laws (with your server being in Germany) the German law enforcement should't care for what you do.

Well, if you for example attack German sites or similar the German law enforcement will care, wherever you are.

• DeorDeor Member

Ordered a KVM Micro, look forward to trying it out.

• RoboCotRoboCot Member

@William
    What you say is very interesting. I'm wondering: what about data retention?

It's me, the owner of virtual server, that i have to provide connection logs if asked, or it's the company which host the machine?

For example, if i run a proxy without logging are then gone all my browsing info?
    And it's illegal or not?

BTW i am an happy edis customer.

Thanks!

• WilliamWilliam Member

@RoboCot said: It's me, the owner of virtual server, that i have to provide connection logs if asked, or it's the company which host the machine?

Depends on your local law regardless of ours.
    We do not need to log anything, in any location.

@RoboCot said: For example, if i run a proxy without logging are then gone all my browsing info?

Yes, if it is abused and you have no logs they can likely sue YOU personally.

@RoboCot said: And it's illegal or not?

Depends on your country.

• RoboCotRoboCot Member

Thank you William, I understand.
    So it's my local law that rules regardless the physical position of the server or the provider HQ.

I wonder how many resource an external observer has to use to discover my identity.

Maybe he is on nation A, the server on nation B, the provider on nation C and i am on nation D.
    Only the provider knows my whereabouts.

Actually i'm not planning anything illegal or immoral or a generic abuse. I primarily use vps for vpn or personal email server, but i'm really interested on those twisting arguments.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@BuzzPoet said: You're not by any chance hosting it with Edis in Sweden, are you? :)

I'm not, actually :)

@DanielM said: Why do you have PRQ whois in the domain? what are you afraid of? DDos'ing people maybe?

Aside from not being sure what DDoS has to do with a whois, it's default policy at PRQ to use PRQ whois protection for any registered domains. After having issues with Dynadot, I moved the domain to PRQ. It's pretty much publicly known who I am and that I run AnonNews.

@William said: I am by law not allowed to give law advice (since i need to be lawyer for this and then charge a fee) but basically like this:

If the country is EU and asks for customer data we can ignore the request unless it was cosigned and/or justified by a court in Austria (in some cases an acknowledgement is enough too, for example if it originates from Germany) - If it is EEA/Outside the EU we can ignore it also*, they would need to get the same acknowledgement or cosignation in Austria too but simply don't get it (or not fast) as we have no exchange treatys with them (this EXCLUDES tax crimes since we have some agreements with some countries about this and Nazi crimes since there is a special law for it).
    This all depends how effective our law enforcement works and how interested they are in cooperation, a russian court order for some dissident site is likely to get Ignored by our LEOs since they have no use for it - An Israeli court order for some Nazi crimes page on the other hand is likely not.
    Since this process will take at LEAST months to get it through our complicated court systems you are likely not customer anymore or informed about them already before it is ever valid - Just switch location or ISP and start the same game again.

*: Excluding French and UK overseas territorys which are not fully independent (Mayotte, Bermuda for example, Bahamas for example not)

Thanks, that's a very in-depth answer :)
    I won't assume law advice obviously, it's just good/interesting to have a general idea of what it works like.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@RoboCot said: I wonder how many resource an external observer has to use to discover my identity.

Well, it is good to assume that the Government has unlimited ressources if they want you.

@RoboCot said: Maybe he is on nation A, the server on nation B, the provider on nation C and i am on nation D.

Only the provider knows my whereabouts.

In this case, we rather shut down and cancel the VPS than giving out customer informations - For protection of both the customer and us.

Thanked by 1RoboCot
  • RoboCotRoboCot Member

I approve this behaviour.

Thank for your time, William, i am totally satisfied of your answers.

• DanielMDanielM Member

@joepie91 said: Aside from not being sure what DDoS has to do with a whois

Nothing. i was refering to you. Using a domain name that has PRQ info in it. and the domain itself says one thing. You are one of those lame hackers . (Script kiddies) who goes around ddosing websites.

@DanielM said: Nothing. i was refering to you. Using a domain name that has PRQ info in it.

And what exactly is wrong with that if there is pretty much only one registrar where you can be sure you won't get shut down for arbitrary TOS bullshit, and they happen to have as a default policy that all domains have WHOIS privacy? You may want to have a read at PRQs website, which clearly states that they accept anyone as customer unless it is ruled illegal by a Swedish court.

@DanielM said: You are one of those lame hackers . (Script kiddies) who goes around ddosing websites.

I'm sorry? Those are quite some allegations, what exactly do you base them on?

@Dionysus said: Conjecture.

I don't see any reason to assume the above statement is true.

• @joepie91 said: I don't see any reason to assume the above statement is true.

Well Anonymous is a bunch of script kiddys ddossing stuff. You run a news website for them.

Thanked by 1DanielM

@gsrdgrdghd said: Well Anonymous is a bunch of script kiddys ddossing stuff.

Eh, no, it isn't. Not doing your research into what something is does not give you an excuse to call someone a 'lame hacker' or 'script kiddie' without having solid proof that that is the case.

Thanked by 1Wintereise
  • Just take a look at the recent WHMCS stuff... A bunch of Anonymous skids with no sophisticated technical knowledge publishing peoples CC information and DDoSsing random websites.

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited May 2012

@joepie91 said: Eh, no, it isn't. Not doing your research into what something is does not give you an excuse to call someone a 'lame hacker' or 'script kiddie' without having solid proof that that is the case.

Again defending there childish actions. Is there actually any attack these groups have done that isnt using a pre-made script. such as LOIC, Havij etc

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2006118/Ryan-Cleary-charged-cyber-attack-CIA-LulzSec-takes-revenge.html

And this is you is it not? http://screensnapr.com/v/V91avJ.jpg (Ignore the deployed in iraq part)

• Come on guys, lets not make this personal.

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: Come on guys, lets not make this personal.

Well thanks to these script kiddies my details are now online. (Not you)

• So you are not considering your domain's whois "online"? :P

• DanielMDanielM Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: So you are not considering your domain's whois "online"? :P

I ment personal information. As in information that isnt in whois. such as my phone number

edited May 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Just take a look at the recent WHMCS stuff... A bunch of Anonymous skids with no sophisticated technical knowledge publishing peoples CC information and DDoSsing random websites.

The WHMCS hack was done by UGNazi, who explicitly stated they are not a part of Anonymous and do not work together with Anonymous in any way. Nice try, but no.

@DanielM said: Again defending there childish actions

I'm sorry, where did I 'defend childish actions'? Do you have an actual quote for that?

@DanielM said: Is there actually any attack these groups have done that isnt using a pre-made script. such as LOIC, Havij etc

Why the fuck are you even only looking at 'attacks'? Do you have any idea what Anons work on besides the quite vocal group of morons that likes taking down shit? Have you even done any fucking research whatsoever? Guess you didn't know that the anti-phishing plugin that prevented Syrian activists from being phished by their own government, was developed by Anons, to just name an example. Or that both Anon and Telecomix were responsible for the fact people in Egypt even had internet access when it was shut off by their own government nationwide. Let's forget that, shall we, because that doesn't conveniently fit into your Daily Mail narrative of 'Anonymous are terrorists and script kiddies'?

@DanielM said: And this is you is it not? http://screensnapr.com/v/V91avJ.jpg (Ignore the deployed in iraq part)

Yes, that is me - and a rather old picture I might add. And that matters how exactly?

Additionally, have you ever seen any actual proof whatsoever of me attacking anything? If you'd done any research into me at all you'd know I'm actually a very vocal opponent of tactics like DDoSing and breaking into servers, as I don't consider them constructive.

Maybe you should stop claiming I did things and do some research first - it's quite rude and offensive to accuse someone of doing things just because a few idiots are using the same name. And yes, that will get me pissed.

@Daniel said: Come on guys, lets not make this personal.

If someone goes through the effort of accusing me of things that simply aren't true just because he was too lazy and/or ignorant to do proper research, to the point where he actually manages to offend me - which is extremely rare - I will damn well point it out.

Thanked by 1Wintereise
  • DanielMDanielM Member

@joepie91 said: Why the fuck are you even only looking at 'attacks'?

Why do you find it necessary to swear? are you taking this a little personally?

• @joepie91 said: If someone goes through the effort of accusing me of things that simply aren't true just because he was too lazy and/or ignorant to do proper research, to the point where he actually manages to offend me - which is extremely rare - I will damn well point it out.

I was referring to DanielM comments.

edited May 2012

@DanielM said: Why do you find it necessary to swear? are you taking this a little personally?

Well, maybe because you are slandering me all over a public forum? Just an idea?

EDIT: Also, nice how you're conveniently dodging everything I said.

@Daniel said: I was referring to DanielM comments.

Fair enough, in that case I take back what I said.

• DanielMDanielM Member

@joepie91 said: If someone goes through the effort of accusing me of things that simply aren't true just because he was too lazy and/or ignorant to do proper research, to the point where he actually manages to offend me - which is extremely rare - I will damn well point it out.

Perhaps you could give evidence of the other. I have plenty of you being an anon member.

• DanielMDanielM Member

@joepie91 said: fit into your Daily Mail narrative of 'Anonymous are terrorists and script kiddies'?

They ARE TERRORISTS though,

• @DanielM One question, why are you trusting the Daily Mail.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • DanielMDanielM Member

@Daniel said: @DanielM One question, why are you trusting the Daily Mail.

Am not.It was just an article i found.