Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the real memory included in vSwap amount?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is the real memory included in vSwap amount?

DaosmbDaosmb Member
edited May 2012 in Help

Hi

This might look silly but I don't get it :0 For example I've got a VPS with 256 mb memory, and 1 GB of VSwap:

1) Does that means I have 256mb guranteed memory, and an ADDITIONAL 1024mb VSwap?
or
2) Does it mean I have 256mb guranteed memory, and an ADDITIONAL 768mb of VSwap?

And, is that the same among providers (whether it be 1 or 2)?

Any help appreciated <3

Thanks!

Comments

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

You get 256MB of memory plus 1GB of vSwap.

vSwap is basically Burstable RAM, but a different way of presenting it.

Thanked by 1Daosmb
  • DaosmbDaosmb Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: You get 256MB of memory plus 1GB of vSwap.

vSwap is basically Burstable RAM, but a different way of presenting it.

It got me confused why in my VPS VSwap is slightly being used even though my real memory isn't even 50% used? $: Shouldn't real memory gets full before any VSwap is used by running programs?

Also i'm wondering if all providers are mentioning VSwap alone in their specs without adding real memory to it?

• Linux swaps out less often accessed memory so it can use the memory to cache stuff stored on disk that's accessed more often.

Thanked by 1Daosmb
  • DaosmbDaosmb Member
    edited May 2012

@dmmcintyre3 said: Linux swaps out less often accessed memory so it can use the memory to cache stuff stored on disk that's accessed more often.

Do you mean by "the memory", real memory?

• yes.

Thanked by 1Daosmb
  • DaosmbDaosmb Member

So can you confirm that I can test run a program requiring over 1gb of RAM, on VPS with 256mb guaranteed memory and 1gb of VSwap (i.e. my VPS has a total of 1.25 GB memory)?

• rchurchrchurch Member

If there is some need for so much vSwap shouldn't you be using an account with more guaranteed memory? I wouldn't want to use a service from a provider who offers so much vSwap with the expectation that a use might need it.
    Anyway from what I understand about vSwap it is a way of making the resources available but slowing down the container. I guess you have to try it to see how well it works for your.