Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS Zone Transfer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS Zone Transfer

J1021J1021 Member

Hi,

I've got bind9 setup on my server to host the NS for my domain. It's all working fine, but now I want to add a slave/secondary DNS. I am trying to use dns.he.net.

Output of /etc/bind/named.conf.options

So I'm hoping that allows transfers to the HE DNS servers.

I attempt to the add the domain via their control panel.

And am met with this.

What can I check/amend to make this work?

Comments

• wychwych Member

Do you not need to add your DNS hostnames to a list for certain tld's/gtld's to work?

DomainMonster did mine when I had issues adding my nameservers to certain domains.

• J1021J1021 Member

I've added a hostname record with GoDaddy for the dns server on my domain but I the transfer should be able to take place without any hostname records for the slave nameservers.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

You need to understand how ACLs work, that's doing nothing.

Simple example of a working whitelist, not need for an ACL:

zone "kcaj.me" in{ type master; file "/etc/bind/zones/kcaj.me"; allow-transfer {216.218.133.2; 2001:470:600::2;}; notify yes; # not needed, but nice to have for fast updates };

Thanked by 1J1021
  • J1021J1021 Member

Hi thanks, managed to get this working I think.

It seems to have initially loaded the zones across but doesn't seem to update, or atleast not frequently. Any idea how frequently it should update?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Within seconds if you use notify yes as I written.

Thanked by 1J1021