Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wget costs twice the bandwidth than curl -O, any idea?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

wget costs twice the bandwidth than curl -O, any idea?

ironhideironhide Member
edited May 2014 in Help

I just noticed in two of my open vz servers today that solusvm records twice the bandwidth if I download a remote file using wget. So if I download a 1GB file, it shows 2GB in the bandwidth section in solus.

However, downloading the same file by curl -O was recorded as exactly as the length of the file, i.e 1GB for a 1GB file.

Any idea why this is happening?

Comments

• no one?

• ricardoricardo Member

It may be helpful if you post the raw commands you're using for each.

• Jack said: It's broken.

what does that mean?

ricardo said: It may be helpful if you post the raw commands you're using for each.

wget http://url/to/1gbtestfile

&

curl -O http://url/to/1gbtestfile

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

ironhide said: what does that mean?

It means it is showing 2 GB bandwidth for wget even though it is only 1 GB file.

• so is it a openvz/solus problem or os issue? @perennate

edited May 2014

Does ifconfig show same thing? Maybe try dumping packets and see if you're getting a whole lot of retransmissions.

ironhide said: so is it a openvz/solus problem or os issue?

It's broken.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2014

The SolusVM bandwidth counting cron only runs once every 5 minutes. It's possibly you did two downloads of 1GB, and only saw the result after 5 minutes.

Try to reproduce this, waiting at least 10 minutes between the downloads - i.e. give enough time to SolusVM to update the statistics.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • perennate said: ifconfig show same thing?

not sure how to check that using ifconfig

• J1021J1021 Member

ironhide said: not sure how to check that using ifconfig

Open up a SSH session and tap in 'ifconfig'. It will then output some lines and on one of the lines will be your bandwidth usage since VM startup. Run it once before the wget and again after to see whether that is counting correctly.

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • rds100 said: The SolusVM bandwidth counting cron only runs once every 5 minutes. It's possibly you did two downloads of 1GB, and only saw the result after 5 minutes.

nope, it was 3GB total in solus. Then I downloaded 1GB file using wget and it increased to 5GB after a few minutes in solus.

Then I downloaded again using curl, and it increased to 6GB after a couple of minutes.

:)

• J1021J1021 Member

ironhide said: nope, it was 3GB total in solus. Then I downloaded 1GB file using wget and it increased to 5GB after a few minutes in solus.

Then I downloaded again using curl, and it increased to 6GB after a couple of minutes.

:)

Check using ifconfig then.

• rds100rds100 Member

@ironhide repeat the tests?

• alright, let me repeat the test - will update shortly.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rds100 said: The SolusVM bandwidth counting cron only runs once every 5 minutes

This interval is chosen by the host, though, right?

Thought I'd reproduce but my Catalyst OvZ bandwidth usage still hasn't updated after 10 mins so perhaps @ryanarp has it turned differently.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

raindog308 said: Thought I'd reproduce but my Catalyst OvZ bandwidth usage still hasn't updated after 10 mins so perhaps @ryanarp has it turned differently.

That is probably because we don't count incoming bandwidth. So incoming to your server wouldn't cause a increase in usage.

Thanked by 1raindog308