Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM (LV) Down? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM (LV) Down?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2014

Amitz said: Most of my Prometeus VMs, just for example

These are 2 different things.
    Prometeus, essentially, runs from own DC, Salvatore is the CTO for the DC, has a whole team there if things get f-ed up and we did have some issues with our IPv6 last year when it was out a few hours, routes flapping and cards failing with some carriers even like this. I know I am monitoring even the temperatures in the DC in multiple points.
    In Dallas and Pune, however, we have been down multiple times, in Dallas because the DC failed to push correctly our network and refused to aknowledge the mistake blaming it on cogent or other carriers, while in Pune there is packet loss a few times a month due to DDoS and the low and expensive bandwidth in India. When you do not control the DC, it is out of your hands many times. I lost count how often the disks in our backup solutions with leaseweb in DE failed, once they even pulled the wrong disk, this is the reason we try to keep things in Milano for our premium products, even though IWStack has a small zone in US too.

TL;DR, being on site and having own team there all the time is the only way to keep uptime over certain thresholds. It may work for months, even years, without permanent residence there, until shit happens. Once it will be fixed, will go again for many months at a time, especially since there will be backup routers.

• sometimes its cathartic to know the techs are within punching-distance

• 1e10 said: I think people appreciate the way BuyVM handle these situations and trust the brand enough to assume all is being done that can be done.

How did they handle this?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@mpkossen said:

By saying sorry a lot it would seem...

• IshaqIshaq Member

Nekki said: By saying sorry a lot it would seem...

And by giving $0.06 credit when you ask for compensation.

• @Nekki said:
    By saying sorry a lot it would seem...
    @mpkossen said:

I think @Francisco mentioned he is going to Cali this week on vacation and might spend a day in DC.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Ishaq said:
    And by giving $0.06 credit when you ask for compensation.

BRB, just raising a ticket.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

A lot of raging. A LOT.

As of right now we got a temp solution that mostly works. We rolled an additional autonull that helps with one of the problem spots but it isn't ideal by any means.

Credit has ranged from a day to a month, on a case by case basis. Most people see a week I figure.

I purchased a brocade MLX-4 that will be installed tomorrow evening. I get into Vegas at 8AM, DC by 8:30 AM. By about 9:00 AM FEDEX will be by dropping it off. Due to how simple our configuration is, I figure it'll take me only 1 - 2 hours to get the whole configuration tested and ready for the night time swap.

Installation will be pretty fast. Power off & derack old router, rack new one, plug cables, power on & should be routing without issue. My hope is that Rob from Fiberhub will be around at that time (he usually is it seems) so he can lend me a hand incase something acts up.

Francisco

I should probably add that this isn't a case of 'Fran did it again'.

There's some pissed off Brazilian guy that ran a super sketchy IRC on our network that
    finally got to the point of pissing us all off so we sent him packing.

He proceeded to throw 16 gigs at us and a ton of other interesting combo's. Staminus
    did a good job handling 99% of it but that 1% that leaks is what causes the GRE to interrupt storm itself into the ground.

Sunday evening I was at my hotel quickly jotting together another autonull just to handle that all. It works well, but our other autonull was giving us attitude due to the platform change.

It's all a big pain in the ass and one that I don't want to repeat again. I bought
    enough 10gig ports on the MLX that I can just setup a mirror port and continue
    with autonull like nothing has changed.

Francisco

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • joshinjoshin Member

It would be cool if hosts offered bonus resources instead of $ back on the SLA.

I'd much rather get a bit more storage or RAM than a few cents back. Over time, loyalty at staying through the bad times would have definite benefits.

@joshin said:
    It would be cool if hosts offered bonus resources instead of $ back on the SLA.

I'd much rather get a bit more storage or RAM than a few cents back. Over time, loyalty at staying through the bad times would have definite benefits.

If you have service with us you can bring that up and Aldryic will think it through.

Either way, the router installs tomorrow evening.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

>
    >

Good to hear, just recently moved one of my sites over to try out the BuyShared plans :-).

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2014

Since i haven't played with brocade gear and out of curiosity, does this new hardware router do GRE in hardware @Francisco ? I hope you check this in advance, to avoid any surprises.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Francisco I really hope FedEx will not give you a surprise tomorrow.

• wychwych Member

@netomx said:
    Francisco I really hope FedEx will not give you a surprise tomorrow.

I foresee a router with a bootprint on the side and an angry Fran.

Either that or a painless install + config like you guys deserve.

@rds100 said:
    Since i haven't played with brocade gear and out of curiosity, does this new hardware router do GRE in hardware Francisco ? I hope you check this in advance, to avoid any surprises.

First thing I checked ;) Rob from Fiberhub helped me shop for what was the best option.

I considered an RX-4 at the start but they have serious ARP issues past a few thousand entries.

I looked at Juniper but the pricing was too high and we didn't need any of the special things they added. I paid $5500 for the brocade for what would have cost me $20k on the juniper. Cash wasn't the issue, it was just that I couldn't justify the $14k difference for no gains.

We got a nice unit. 2GB of RAM just for routes so if we start getting our own drops I can store a million+ routes. NULL0 is handled in hardware, GRE is, all switching is, etc. It's a really nice unit and will likely be a good base line for future deployments.

Francisco

Thanked by 1rds100

@wych said:

The company we bought from is the same company Rob buys from so we know we're going to get a well packed, running, platform. Latest firmwares, nice long warranty, etc.

Really, it was a steal of a deal that I got on it in the end.

Francisco

Thanked by 1netomx

@wych said:

I have only used next day once. It should arrive 9am, and arrived 2PM. When I asked the guy, he said: I made you a favor delivering this hour...

Seriously?!

@netomx said:
    Seriously?!

But you're in Mexico.... :P

Francisco

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Should have gone with an XMR for future proofing.

@Nick_A said:
    Should have gone with an XMR for future proofing.

Considered but couldn't justify the need.

There's no point getting support for 10M routes when I see no reason to mix my own network in LV. The blend Rob has for us is solid and he has TELIA probably coming in.

I couldn't come close to this blend for the price he charges us so there's no real perks of that all.

If I ever roll another large setup (Europe? Central US?) then we'll look at at XMR if the inhouse brands are meh.

Francisco

@Francisco said:
    Francisco

Cross fingers :)

BTW, I'm gonna be there (LV) on June 16

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • joshinjoshin Member

@Francisco said:
    Francisco

I mentioned it on the IRC channel. I have the cheapie annual KVM.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2014

Francisco said: There's no point getting support for 10M routes when I see no reason to mix my own network in LV.

MLXe = 2 million

XMR = 1 million

MLX = 512K

Point still stands, I need like...100 routes total :)

I could simply upgrade the MR if we wanted to start blending but as I said, I couldn't match the pricing that Rob gives me so why bother?

Francisco

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Francisco said: Point still stands, I need like...100 routes total :)

Wasn't arguing with you, just wanted to make sure you were clear on the specs.

• AndriAndri Member
    edited June 2014

Nevermind. It's up now. :)

@Andri said:
    Nevermind. It's up now. :)

That was the scheduled maintenance for the Brocade :)

It was completed in less time than we scheduled for the most part. IPV6 was fixed just a few minutes ago.

The biggest problem was getting the old router out of the rack so I could put the brocade there. The walls of the cage are a tiny bit too close so you can't extend the server out 100% and pull it off the rails, you have to slide the rail extensions in a tiny bit to give you wiggle.

Once I had that done I installed the grouber rails, hoisted it into place, ran the cables, & fixed the ASN numbers (I left the testing ones on, woops).

Francisco

• J1021J1021 Member

Looks like there is a lot of hard work going on behind the scenes.

Hi Jack!

We have a few exciting announcements about the recent work we've been doing
    on the network! Between upgrades to the physical hardware in Vegas, the DDoS
    Filtering in both locations, and an added bonus on transit, we're sure folks
    will be happy with the improvements.

CNSERVERS REPLACED WITH STAMINUS
    We were using CNServers for our DDoS Filtering in the Las Vegas location.
    While they provided a good service for the cost, and we rarely saw leaks, we
    found that they had a habit of simply nullrouting certain attacks without
    bothering to inform us - we would find out later after the client noticed
    and contacted us. Between that, having to let quite a few clients go (or
    migrate them to NJ) once CNServers decided that "they leave or you leave",
    and more and more amgiuous nullroutes issued for no apparent reason (and no
    explaination ever given), CNServers was starting to be more a liability than
    asset.

As we were already using Staminus in our New Jersey location, and very
    pleased with the results there, we decided to relieve CNServers of their
    post and have Staminus step up in Las Vegas. There was some turbulence on
    the switch - not a fault of Staminus, but our router at the time. CNServers
    outright blocked UDP, while Staminus was quite adept at mitigating and
    allowed UDP. We learned quickly that all of the extra UDP now coming through
    was overwhelming our router, causing rather severe CPU spikes. This
    prompted...

LAS VEGAS ROUTER UPGRADED
    Over several days of attempting to tune both the filtering and the Las Vegas
    router, it became apparent that we simply needed new hardware to deal with
    the larger workload. A Brocade MLX-4 was shipped out to the datacentre, and
    Francisco arrived Tuesday (10 June) morning to get it configured and ready
    to install. With 4x 10gbit ports, the MLX was more than steady enough to
    tank any traffic pushed to it, even intentional 'leaked' DDoS to stress-test
    the router's ability to process and route as needed. With the MLX now in
    place, we've seen a drastic increase in network performance and quality, and
    not the first hiccup or issue dealing with the increased traffic.

STAMINUS FILTERING INCREASED
    We're also very happy to announce that we have increased the available
    protection we can offer - for the same 3$/mo per IP, we can now offer up to
    20Gbit/4mpps mitigation and protection. And as an added bonus, we've also
    changed our policy on bandwidth tracking...

UNMETERED INBOUND BANDWIDTH
    Regardless of whether it's a Filtered IP or normal IPv4, incoming bandwidth
    for both locations is no longer counted against a service's monthly
    allotment. Effective immediately, only outbound traffic will be counted
    against the monthly limit. VLAN traffic, of course, is still unmetered both
    ways.

All of this, of course, comes at NO additional cost to clients. Not only
    that, but within the next month the cost of Filtered IPs in New Jersey will
    be reduced from 4$ to 3$ per month to line up with Las Vegas. No contact is
    necessary to take advantage of this - all services currently having NJ
    DDoS-Filtered IPs will automatically have their costs adjusted to
    compensate, with an effective start date of the next issued invoice
    (ensuring these adjustments take place seamlessly is why it will take some
    time to push).

As always, we're thankful to have such great clients, and to have the
    opportunity to provide for your hosting needs. If you have any
    questions/comments/concerns, please feel free to reach out to us via our
    Support system (https://my.frantech.ca), or at [email protected].

Aldryic C'boäs,
    Frantech Staff

• I wonder, do they do DDoS protected IPs for their shared/reseller hosting? Curious.