Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM and thinly-provisioned logical volumes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM and thinly-provisioned logical volumes

jamaicajamaica Member
edited May 2014 in Providers

Hello! I would like to start another topic not about bugs, but about new cool features of the SoluVM panel that could be implemented.
Also, I want you to share ideas with us. Thank you

1. I would like to see thinly-provisioned logical volumes. Great feature. No need to alocate all space at VPS creation. If anyone interested I have workaround (1 code string in bash) for SolusVM.
    https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/thinprovisioned_volumes.html

2. thinly-provisioned snapshots. No need to dd logical volume at VPS creature, just make snapshot from thinly-provisioned logical volume.
    https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/thinly-provisioned_snapshot_volumes.html

3. Other tool to backup VPS. DD is overkill cause it dumps free space.

4. Your ideas, plz?

Comments

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited May 2014

I'd have to agree that thing provisioning for KVM VPS is sorely missing. Although there are a stack of other issues/concerns that need to be addressed before that.

• jamaicajamaica Member

@Virtovo said:
    I'd have to agree that thing provisioning for KVM VPS is sorely missing. Although there are a stack of other issues/concerns that need to be addressed before that.

For example?

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

@jamaica said:
    For example?

A complete API. Many features are not exposed via the API. Those that are lack parity between KVM and OpenVZ (Password resets for example).

VNC access. Currently uses an unsigned JAR that fails to work out of the box with J7/J8. This should be signed at least or a move to HTML5 (preferably a switch from VNC to Spice also).

Proper IPv6 handling (although this seems to be on the horizon and I have suggested some improvements to SolusVM planned implementation).

Live migrations. OpenVZ and KVM support this in a very safe manner.

There are some other 'nice' things to have; however the above should be part of the feature set already.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited May 2014

I somehow doubt SolusVM could pull off disk thin-prov for VPS's. Theoretically speaking, you could give it a thin-provisioned VolGroup, although then there's the fact that you're overselling disk. Plus, with LVM, overselling disk is MUCH riskier as in you could lose ALL your data if you don't notice you reached the end.

• jamaicajamaica Member
    edited May 2014

@Virtovo said:

And also we need something like proxy for vnc, all vnc sessios must point to master server, no need to assign real ips to all slave servers.

@Rallias said:
    I somehow doubt SolusVM could pull off disk thin-prov for VPS's. Theoretically speaking, you could give it a thin-provisioned VolGroup, although then there's the fact that you're overselling disk. Plus, with LVM, overselling disk is MUCH riskier as in you could lose ALL your data if you don't notice you reached the end.

Not sure, dont know anything about thinly-provisioned volume group. But as far as I can see lvcreate options are hardcoded. Atleast you need to create LV with -V parameter, while "fat-provisioned" is created with -L parameter.

• Hi Jamaica,

Can you help me with Thin Provisioning for SolusVM? as you said,"If anyone interested I have workaround (1 code string in bash) for SolusVM."

• Hi, necromancer.

This discussion has been closed.