Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any recommended US providers for OpenVPN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any recommended US providers for OpenVPN?

rchurchrchurch Member
edited May 2012 in General

I am interested in reliable VPS providers for OpenVPN services.

My criteria are:

1. Should have been around for some time, good enough to justify paying yearly.

2. Offer good stable bandwidth

3. Reasonable approach to dealing with complaints

Comments

• Hostigation or Inception in Phoenix

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

what kind of complaints?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited May 2012

@TheHackBox said: Hostigation

I do no allow VPN services to openly run, personal VPN's are quite welcome, never met a VPN resale service that could control the abuse of their users.

• I was thinking he wanted a private VPN.

• kendidkendid Veteran

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2045/openvpn-speeds-from-eastern-europe-from-various-providers

I posted this a while back, gives you a general overview... Hope it helps...

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
  • rchurchrchurch Member

@FRCorey - Complaints relating to resource usage and illegal activities. If a few users are abusing the system. How much time is given for them to be identfied and kicked off rather than shutting down the server immediately?

Resource abuse is also difficult to categorize. VPN service does not use much RAM or disk. I don't know about CPU. But how much has to be used for a service to be considered abusive or unfriendly?

• rchurchrchurch Member

@mitgib VPN resale is not an area of business I am acquainted with. By abuse do you mean exceeding bandwidth limits or using the connection for illegal activities, spam, connecting to torrents etc, which may result in blacklisted IPs etc?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@rchurch said: using the connection for illegal activities, spam, connecting to torrents etc

This has been the result I've experienced with anyone reselling the VPN services. I've a bit confused as you state to @FRCorey illegal activities but to me that you are unfamiliar with reselling the service, does that mean you are admitting you will be conducting illegal activities with the service?

• rchurchrchurch Member

@miTgiB I am considering setting up a VPN resale service as I have been asked about it.
    I use VPNs
    My terms will make it clear that illegal activities are not permitted, but some users will try to use it for illegal services and I don't want a ban by a service provider to affect legitimate users.
    If there are a means of setting up the VPNs in a way which allow illegal users to be identified I am all for it.

The purpose is not to give users anonymity, but is for genuine users eg laptop user etc, those blocked from connecting to certain countries, company firewalls etc.

• DamianDamian Member

@rchurch said: I am considering setting up a VPN resale service as I have been asked about it.

I use VPNs

Interesting, we have a few clients who buy our smallest VPS to use for this purpose. We haven't received any abuse complaints yet; they're some of our best customers.

• @rchurch said: The purpose is not to give users anonymity

Then simply enable logging (or just state on your website that everything is logged), that will scare most people who want a VPN for illegal activities away.

• edited May 2012

@Damian said: Interesting, we have a few clients who buy our smallest VPS to use for this purpose. We haven't received any abuse complaints yet; they're some of our best customers.

<>Cough<>

I recommend IPXCore, check out my reviews for them:

1) lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/60391#Comment_60391
    2) lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/62766#Comment_62766

Stay off Diamond though image

• rchurchrchurch Member

@Damian - Your bandwidth offers are low compared with other providers here on LET. What are the prices for higher bandwidth?

• WilliamWilliam Member

@miTgiB said: never met a VPN resale service that could control the abuse of their users.

It's not much of an issue, pretty much any VPN provider you see with a location in Austria uses us and still we only get 10-20 abuse mails for all them per month.
    (not excluding around 100 mails with Mediasentry P2P stuff and "attacks" (5 HTTP GET in 1 minute is NOT an attack, point.))

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

The only issue we've had to deal with when people run public proxies/VPNs is spam. Luckily neither is allowed by our TOS so it's a simple "bye-bye" for them (2 strikes = gone).

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@KuJoe said: (2 strikes = gone)

2 strikes? My are you generous, I am at 1 strike if within your first 30 days of service.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said: 2 strikes? My are you generous, I am at 1 strike if within your first 30 days of service.

I've always wondered how many beatnicks you've had to enforce that on? I'm guessing not very many?

Francisco

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Francisco said: I'm guessing not very many?

Seems the habitual spammers no longer even try me, and it has probably been a month since I had a spam complain come in.

this time last year, I was kicking them out the door faster than they entered it seemed.

• DamianDamian Member

@miTgiB said: this time last year, I was kicking them out the door faster than they entered it seemed.

They've moved on to us...

@rchurch said: @Damian - Your bandwidth offers are low compared with other providers here on LET. What are the prices for higher bandwidth?

Depends on how much you expect to use. Email us at email at ipxcore.com.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@miTgiB said: this time last year, I was kicking them out the door faster than they entered it seemed.

I am running fairly small compare to you guys (~200 VMs), however I received the 1st spam related abuse report yesterday for 4+ months, according to my logs.. Guess I am lucky.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@LiquidHost said: I received the 1st spam related abuse report yesterday for 4+ months

Seems the spammers test you for a time, then when I blocked outbound port25 by default on everyone they stopped, so I went to blocking port25 out on the 1st complaint, not really much of a problem anymore, I wore em down I think, and won all the paypal disputes.

Never got a single telephone spam myslef... But I belive it is cause I am based in Bulgaria, don't think anyone over here would even bother trying to do telephone marketing.

@miTgiB
    Well, I am trying to keep strictly to the TOS and do not tollerate such things at all, most of the cases immediate termination occurs.. Sometimes just suspension. And haven't even gotten a dispute in over 2 months.. Actually since I switched to 2checkout I had 3 disputes in total. (~3 and a half months)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@LiquidHost said: Actually since I switched to 2checkout

I don't know why, but I imagine pre-paid phone service when I think about 2checkout, just something not right with it, they seem overly greedy.

@miTgiB said: I don't know why, but I imagine pre-paid phone service when I think about 2checkout, just something not right with it, they seem overly greedy.

Had issues with PayPal and more than 2 hours spent on the phone in total, talking with different reps. Even I am no longer limited, I would not go back and put myself in the possition of no way to process payments, due random limitation and different answers every single time I call their customer service, even trying to literally beg them to send the needed doccumentation about everything. I was literally freaking out - services were started to get suspended due clients not able to pay.. Even after paying huge fees, I desided that it would be better to keep the things as now - 2checkout and not switch to PayPal again.

• rchurchrchurch Member

If someone is sending spam through a VPN I take it that he is running an SMTP server on his workstation or on a server in his network. But if they connect to their mail service provider then the mails should be originating from the mail providers server and that is where the spam complaints should be going, isn't it?

How then do you distinguish a connection from the customers mail client to their mail server from one in which the SMTP server is running and sending email to other SMTP servers directly?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@rchurch said: How then do you distinguish a connection from the customers mail client to their mail server from one in which the SMTP server is running and sending email to other SMTP servers directly?

When i block port 25 out, I really don't care about that anymore, they have received a complaint that i view as valid

• rchurchrchurch Member

@miTgiB I don't mind blocking port 25, but they should be able to connect to their mail service providers through port 465, 587, 995 etc, ie so long as the originating SMTP server for the spam is not on my network or the client home or office network. shouldn't they?

This is an area I'm not that familiar with :(

Once he blocks port 25, they wouldnt be able to send emails through his IPs.

• rchurchrchurch Member

@LiquidHost Do you mean relay email, ie contact another server through the IP on port 25? I am not running any mail server software. Aren't port 465, 587 used only if one has to authenticate on the server?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

spam blaster type software is only going to try port 25, I have no problem with them relaying off other servers on non-standard ports, but you seem to be forgetting the key point I made, I do not block port 25 until I've received a valid complaint.