Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EveryDNS Reminder
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EveryDNS Reminder

drmikedrmike Member
edited August 2011 in General

Just a mention that for those using EveryDNS, we have 30 days left before they cut us off.

:(

Thanked by 1LowEndAdmin

Comments

• gianggiang Veteran

I've moved all of my domains to dns.he.net and cloudns.net when they first announce :D

• HE's signup was broken at the time. They've fixed it since then but still concerned me.

I created an account over at Division120. Need to finish moving them over.

The wiki link in case other folks need it:

http://www.lowendbox.com/wiki/free-dns-providers

• I temporarily moved mine over to afraid.org, but will be rolling my own DNS across a couple VPS. I'm planning on following this tutorial with 2 or 3 of my own VPS (https://forum.ramhost.us/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=235) and then using HE as a slave. That setup was widely advertised on the old forums. I figured I'd mention it here for any newbies :)

• afraid.org doesn't do DNS wildcards so I couldn't use them.

• Thanks for the reminder. Just found that I still have 10 domains on my EveryDNS account! ARGH! More work to do tonight.

• I'm tying in the DNS move with a server move on my personal sites.

Going to be a pain (and last longer than the 1 hour than the library gives me) so I'm dreading it.

• @drmike I have one of the original Asus EeePC's you can have, just come get it. I never use the thing anymore, and have a 16gb SD card for it as well.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • AsimAsim Member

hmm, just got me wondering. I have so many spare VPSes from RamHost, VooServers, QualityServers, QuickWeb, Hostigation etc that I can run a free DNS service. But the only issue is, I have never ran such a big cluster (2 or more physical machines, so I need to do some homework)

What matters to me is, will anyone be interested in such a service? of course it will be free

• There may even be a market for such if you think about it. I went down that free list on the wiki and found many of those sites to be confusing. Conflicting information on what was offered as well. Some did primary, some did secondary, some did both and some didn;t mention what they actually did.

• Try this list, just for secondary nameservers: http://efball.com/dns/

• @Asim, I'm already running nsd3 on my vps boxes and its doing well with very low memory footprint

PID TTY      STAT   TIME  MAJFL   TRS   DRS   RSS %MEM COMMAND
     8638 ?        S      0:00      0     0 10864   976  0.3 /usr/sbin/nsd -c /etc/nsd3/nsd.conf
    11983 ?        S      0:00      0     0  4204   620  0.2 /usr/sbin/nsd -c /etc/nsd3/nsd.conf
    11984 ?        S      0:05      0     0  4680   944  0.3 /usr/sbin/nsd -c /etc/nsd3/nsd.conf

• Free "open-to-all" DNS service might attract DDoS though. Just look at what EveryDNS has suffered over the years.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited August 2011

I would suggest using multiple DNS providers and more than 2 nameservers but I know many domain registrars only have 2 fields for nameservers.

edit: May just say screw it and run dns locally.

• MVSMVS Member

Speaking of free DNS providers, I just came across a couple of new ones recently, so I added them to the wiki.

• MVS, who did you add in? I don;t see a method of looking at a diff over there.

• gianggiang Veteran
    edited August 2011

It seems he has just added DNSTrouble.com. I haven't seen it before in this list :D

Edit: dozens.jp is new too :D

• MVSMVS Member

Yep, those are the two I added.

• thanks for reminder, I just move my domain to registrar DNS. Maybe later I'll run my own dns

• How ironic, was just about to sign up for EveryDNS until I saw this thread. What would you guys recommend for a free DNS host? I've been hosting my own DNS for years now, and just decided not to play around with good ol' beefy Bind9 any longer.

Seems that the NameCheap and PointHQ seem like two great services. Really can't use Afraid because I don't want to put my domains in a public directory.

But anyways, would of course appreciate any suggestions.

• gianggiang Veteran

tjasko said: How ironic, was just about to sign up for EveryDNS until I saw this thread. What would you guys recommend for a free DNS host? I've been hosting my own DNS for years now, and just decided not to play around with good ol' beefy Bind9 any longer.

Seems that the NameCheap and PointHQ seem like two great services. Really can't use Afraid because I don't want to put my domains in a public directory.

But anyways, would of course appreciate any suggestions.

You should give HE DNS (dns.he.net) a try :D

• giang said: You should give HE DNS (dns.he.net) a try :D

with do some hope, there's no power outages anymore. :P

Thanked by 1dmmcintyre3
  • tjaskotjasko Member
    edited August 2011

giang said: You should give HE DNS (dns.he.net) a try :D

They're definitely a reputable company. Just really want a fast, reliable, and efficient DNS provider.

Mon5t3r said: with do some hope,

there's no power outages anymore. :P

I remember people complaining about that. Glad those are all gone. :D

Thanks for the help! Don't know if I should stick to running my own DNS or not. Bind is somewhat of a memory hog...

• tjasko said: Bind is somewhat of a memory hog...

Use pdns or djbdns. Don't use bind.

• Why use BIND when NSD (and others) use much less ram?

• Yeah, BIND just uses way too much memory even for two-three zones.

• gianggiang Veteran
    edited August 2011

CloudFlare just released a tool to import EveryDNS to CloudFlare, I think you guys should try it to migrate from EveryDNS to CloudFlare :D

• I used to use EveryDNS but since a few years I'm running my own DNS for my domains. Its much more flexible. First I used MyDNS which is quite fine for a lot domains (hence the instant update due to the MySQL backend), but since a few weeks I'm using MaraDNS which is simply perfect for me (small in size and footprint). And since my webserver is just on one VPS my DNS is also because it simply does not make sense (in my eyes) to have a split geolocated nameserver if the webserver is just a small lightttpd/nginx on one VPS.

• I'm sitting here still trying to get Filezilla installed on the EEE PC so I still haven't moved things over.

Trying to do both the DNS and the servers changes done at the same time.

• open the explorer and ssh://remote

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited August 2011

Thanks (And yes, I knew that but thank you anyway) but that doesn't support multiple directories and all that good stuff. Trust me. Already tried it. Got 3.0.1 installed once via an apt-get, had to reinstall for some reason and can't get it back in there. So much of that eee pc wiki is out of date and incorrect....

You also have to work in the user name too. At least in my case. Thinks I'm "user" everywhere. :)

I'll start a thread....